Spiral III - Saturday evenings - BBC4 pace, no spoilers please

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fancy a beef curry now. Don't know why?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've got love old Roban. He may be heartless when it comes to the law but he is a canny old trout,

These moments are why I love Roban, his dedication to the law and justice make him seem callous, but he is quite the schemer, going to any lengths to see a case through to the end.

As if that's the last time Pierre falls for the sob story, eh? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Favourite Laure line ever.

You worry me sometimes HVC. On so many levels:eek::eek:
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's how I say it in my head. Is it a real name or was it made up by Pratchett?

I think it may have been a Sir Terry original
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These moments are why I love Roban, his dedication to the law and justice make him seem callous, but he is quite the schemer, going to any lengths to see a case through to the end.

As if that's the last time Pierre falls for the sob story, eh? :rolleyes:

Pierre is like Peter Pan.;)
    Roban doesn't win every case. But it's not often he is outsmarted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I think it may have been a Sir Terry original

Google always goes back to Discworld so you may well be right. Does he ever discuss the names anywhere. How he came by them etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The rat squad if I remember the info from the links you provided when we talked about Spial III.

That's the guys

IGS
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nipping down to the Chinese before the loonies turn out.

See you all tomorrow for some Sarah action???

Night all.

BK
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Google always goes back to Discworld so you may well be right. Does he ever discuss the names anywhere. How he came by them etc.

I'm not sure

I seem to have read somewhere that Lord Vetinari, Patrician of Ankh-Morpork is based upon Machiavelli and that he was given the name Vetinari beause it sounded suitably Renaissancey :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely Gilou being high while on duty is a job for the IGS??

You'd a thought a 'flic' with a drug habit would have had to leave the service whether or not he got himself clean? Else too much temptation...

Drawing a veil over the drug 'retrieval' scene.... Ewwwww.... Double ewwwww :eek:
    And the fireplace....

So Roban is a 'judge' but get involves with the investigation, the police and the prosecutor :confused:
    In court, Laure talk to Mr President. :confused:

I'm thinking that (a) the French judicial system is somewhat different to ours and that (b) maybe the subtitles are not translated perfectly. Even with my rusty schoolgirl French I can see that somethings are not translated word-for-word. And some phraseology is a bit too 'modern' and grates a bit.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Roban is a 'judge' but get involves with the investigation, the police and the prosecutor :confused:
    In court, Laure talk to Mr President. :confused:

I'm thinking that (a) the French judicial system is somewhat different to ours and that (b) maybe the subtitles are not translated perfectly. Even with my rusty schoolgirl French I can see that somethings are not translated word-for-word. And some phraseology is a bit too 'modern' and grates a bit.

Yes the French judicial system is rather different - they have investigating magistrates there. It's 'cause France has an inquisitorial system compared to our adversarial system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inquisitorial_system#Modern_use_in_France

Isn't Laure saying 'Monsieur (le) Procureur' rather than 'President'? I've definitely heard her say 'Procureur' to Pierre at various times but can't be sure whether she also says 'President' to someone in court or not. She says 'Monsieur Le Juge' to Roban though.

But yeah the subs are off at times - it's the same with Wallander too.
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say that I was glad that I'd finished eating before this week episodes' started. I would have been fine during the fireplace scene though it was gross, but I did nearly throw up during the merde scene. (One of the few words of French that I do know)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't Laure saying 'Monsieur (le) Procureur' rather than 'President'? I've definitely heard her say 'Procureur' to Pierre at various times but can't be sure whether she also says 'President' to someone in court or not. She says 'Monsieur Le Juge' to Roban though.

When Laure is in court she does address the judge as 'President', I assume the judges are addressed differently according to whether they are sitting in court or a juge d'instruction like Roban.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Laure is in court she does address the judge as 'President', I assume the judges are addressed differently according to whether they are sitting in court or a juge d'instruction like Roban.

President in court refers to the presiding judge

Here's some info on investigating judges and the inquisitorial nature of French justice
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investigative_magistrate

According to the above link only a few cases are done in the Spiral way. I assumed they all were done this way????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening fellow crime fans, ready for more tales of Parisian drama? I don't actually remember too much about tonight's episodes, unlike the previous weeks, so I feel almost like I'm watching them for the first time.

Bets on how long it takes Gilou to screw up?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Evening fellow crime fans, ready for more tales of Parisian drama? I don't actually remember too much about tonight's episodes, unlike the previous weeks, so I feel almost like I'm watching them for the first time.

15 mins or possibly sooner if he's being questioned by the IGS after last week's happenings
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bon soir, hvc!
    I've forgotten quite a lot, in spite of watching the original showing of seasons 1 and 2... and having the DVDs!
    So it's almost as good as new for me too!

25 mins for OG?:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    15 mins or possibly sooner if he's being questioned by the IGS after last week's happenings

I'll have to pass because I remember these two very well. So I would be cheating.

PS
    Evening everyone. I need my Methadone!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll have to pass because I remember these two very well. So I would be cheating.

PS
    Evening everyone. I need my Methadone!!!

Hi there!
    *hands bk his methadone*:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laure looks a tit in that beret!! Ooooh Betty or what?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    Hi there!
    *hands bk his methadone*:eek:

Cheers mate. I promise to not spit it out and sell it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's I OG
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laure looks a tit in that beret!! Ooooh Betty or what?
    That's weird because I was quite liking it!

Verence is the closest if that snorting constitutes an OG moment...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    That's weird because I was quite liking it!

Verence is the closest if that snorting constitutes an OG moment...

I can imagine you now allie. Big thick coat and beret in the middle of summer going to the post office and shop for a loaf of bread:eek::D:D

Verence wins. My fiver is on the way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can imagine you now allie. Big thick coat and beret in the middle of summer going to the post office and shop for a loaf of bread:eek::D:D

Verence wins. My fiver is on the way.

Hmmmm more likely the fiver is on its way to the off-license!