Options

Cats and the smell of bleach

Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone else's cats go nuts at the smell of bleach?

After I have given the bathroom a major clean the cats come in to the bathroom and start rolling around and flopping on the floor and generally acting nuts! One went into his litter tray and rolled around in it (luckily it had been changed that day)

Comments

• Options
    Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat loves freshly cleaned floors too. He does the same thing, rolls and flops about in it.:p
  • Options
    Granny WeatherwaxGranny Weatherwax Posts: 52,923
    Forum Member
    And I thought it was just my cat who is a bleach perv! :D

I often wonder why I actually bother cleaning the floors, they only end up covered in cat hair! lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cats usually react to bleach because it has a pheremone-like scent to them. The majority of the time the cat finds this scent interesting and want to investigate it. They can get a catnip type reaction from it. They should be alright as long as they don't ingest any, this can be fatal to cats.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Mt cat loves to bite and scratch my hands when I use bleach. No I don't use gloves, hate them. Often wondered. My late Skye used to bite my head if I had been drinking vodka, only vodka never anything else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    YES! Had a really gentle cat who'd start chewing at your knuckles if your hands had been in bleach.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Mt cat loves to bite and scratch my hands when I use bleach. No I don't use gloves, hate them. Often wondered. My late Skye used to bite my head if I had been drinking vodka, only vodka never anything else.

Phew - for a moment there I thought you were going to say drinking bleach!:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    My cat loves freshly cleaned floors too. He does the same thing, rolls and flops about in it.:p

Mine loves fresh washing! As soon as I pull it out of the machine, he's in the washing basket, rubbing around on it haha.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Phew - for a moment there I thought you were going to say drinking bleach!:eek:

Not that much of an alki thankfully :D:D:D