Hinterland (Y Gwyll): BBC / S4C

Comments

• lindenlealindenlea Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I managed to see the final episode on iPlayer just before it all disappears this evening. When/if Hinterland is shown on BBC4 later this year I shall definitely try to watch it again.

It's good to know that S4C has already commissioned series two; there were several areas of unfinished business, I felt.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,273
    Forum Member
    I'm really enjoying this! I've got episodes three and four downloaded from iplayer to catch up with and will definitely watch them all again when they air on BBC4. It's beautifully shot and very well acted and I must admit to finding Richard Harrington rather sexy (not when he wears his woolly hat though :D) I still want to see the full Welsh version though, I love hearing it when they do some dialogue in their own language.
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any idea how I can watch the first 2-parter please? Irritatingly, I messed them but much enjoyed the following three 2-parters. Cheers.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now confirmed for Mon 28th on BBC4 at 9pm.

Up against "Prey" on ITV...

Should we start a separate "BBC4 pace" thread?

K
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »

K

I don't think there's anything spoilerish in the thread so far
    Forum Member
    So this is the English version with a bit of Welsh and subs rather than the full Welsh? I missed the Welsh version on S4C, it was shown back in October.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen the full Welsh version but I watched the English/Welsh version when it aired on iPlayer after it aired in Wales and enjoyed it. It felt more authentically Welsh with not everyone conversing in Welsh because this reflects the reality of Welsh life outside somewhere like Caernafon and Welsh speaking villages. Aberystwyth where the series is set is certainly a town in which the two language communities co-exist especially with the large presence of the university that hardly makes itself felt in the series. The Welsh landscape plays a key part in the feel of the show and seduced me so much that I'm off to Snowdonia (further north) for a week in a month or so! Can't wait for the next series.
  • lindenlealindenlea Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

K

Thanks for the information. I might have missed it otherwise, as I don't watch much on BBC4 and I haven't seen it trailed on 1 or 2. I hope to watch the series again, on the TV this time!

As platelet has said, there isn't anything I would consider a spoiler upthread, so anyone new is safe to read the previous posts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member

K

So what's on BBC1 and BBC2 at 9pm on mon 28th? Why is Hinterland pushed to BBC4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Another great Welsh-language drama is "35 Diwrnod" (35 Days), very different to Y Gwyll, but I must admit I'm enjoying it more!

Only 4 days left to watch the first episode here:
    http://www.s4c.co.uk/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=519053433

It's on S4C on Sunday nights at 9pm (you have to switch on English subtitles yourself), repeated with inbuilt subtitles on Tuesdays at 10pm. Five episodes shown so far; I'm hooked!
    Forum Member
    Another great Welsh-language drama is "35 Diwrnod" (35 Days), very different to Y Gwyll, but I must admit I'm enjoying it more!

Only 4 days left to watch the first episode here:
    http://www.s4c.co.uk/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=519053433

It's on S4C on Sunday nights at 9pm (you have to switch on English subtitles yourself), repeated with inbuilt subtitles on Tuesdays at 10pm. Five episodes shown so far; I'm hooked!

Thanks very much for posting this, I've never heard of it! I'll definitely give it a try :)
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 15,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/jul/30/hinterland-tv-noir-wales

This starts on BBC4 tomorrow at 9pm repeated later. I hadn't heard of it but looks interesting.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump for this evening - for those of us recording "Prey" and watching this instead!!!

K
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks very much for posting this, I've never heard of it! I'll definitely give it a try :)

Last series was brilliant, but the change from minute to minute, welsh speaking to English did seem a bit random.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm giving it a go but it's fairly dull so far.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm recording this.

For cryin' out loud.

Is this in Welsh with English subtitles?

Do the BBC think there's actually a demographic who actually will only watch and enjoy a drama if it has naffin' subtitles?
    It's the British Broadcasting Company. The common language is English.

Most people can enjoy a TV programme without having to have their eyes glued to the screen for the duration. But with subtitles unless you watch continuously, you could miss a key element.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm recording this.

For cryin' out loud.

It's prominently in English with the occasional lapse into Welsh with English subtitles.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,904
    Forum Member
    I'm recording this.

For cryin' out loud.

Do the BBC think there's actually a demographic who actually will only watch and enjoy a drama if it has naffin' subtitles?

Most people can enjoy a TV programme without having to have their eyes glued to the screen for the duration. But with subtitles unless you watch continuously, you could miss a key element.

...Yet there is no complaint when the BBC forks out for ScandiNoir drama or an Italian crime drama like Montalbano,

And this is very predominantly in English anyway. Grow up.
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I'm giving it a go but it's fairly dull so far.

Yes, it is dull.
    Scenery and camera work is lovely.... but the plot and characters are boring
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Yes, it is dull.
    Scenery and camera work is lovely.... but the plot and characters are boring

I switched over to Rev at 10pm in order to stay awake. I'll try the last 30 minutes later though I'm still not sure what it is all about.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm recording this.

For cryin' out loud.

stop showing yourself up. Sounding off when you clearly haven't even cottoned on to the fact it's in English.
  • tartan-belletartan-belle Posts: 14,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've really enjoyed it. Wales and the scenery looks absolutely stunning - it is something that I'd read but sometimes it doesn't cross over very well, but this is super. Can't understand why people think it's boring. Will have to go and catch up on Prey now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member

For cryin' out loud.

When they're not speaking English in the programme, they actually are speaking British :)

If you're not trolling, this edit of Hinterland is probably the one programme I've seen that does actually reflect how monolingual and bilingual speakers communicate in much of Wales, with Welsh speakers conversing in Welsh with each other and switching to English when necessary and/or it's polite to do so.

I understood that they filmed one version completely in Welsh (as shown on S4C last year), and another completely in English. It's been a long time in the making, and maybe following the success of The Killing, etc. the filmmakers realized that they could produce a realistic "mixed" version that non-Welsh speakers would be happy to watch. It appears that some are only happy with a 100% English version though.
    Forum Member
    When they're not speaking English in the programme, they actually are speaking British :)

:D Yes a bit ironic considering Welsh is the sole surviving and original 'British' language on these islands!
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm recording this.

For cryin' out loud.

Wasn't it originally made for Welsh channel S4C then repeated on BBC1 Wales?

BBC4 often carried foreign programmes so I can't see the problem. The Welsh parts were very natural with people switching from English into Welsh at times as tends to happen in Wales. It was all subtitled on screen.

I can never understand why more programmes from the regions are not shown on network TV there is some good stuff there which deserves a wider audience. I occasionally watch things on BBC Alba, they are subtitled so easy to follow.