Jamaica Inn

Comments

• KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Falling on top of him after being in the bog...god, how predictable.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What the hell was that about?
  • ladydedlock77ladydedlock77 Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lola_skye wrote: »
    I want to know what lady Sybil is using to wash her clothes

hahahaha I was wondering what she used to get her whites so white.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,576
    Forum Member
    Oooh, looks like Dudley might try and sell a horse next time, thrilling.
    Forum Member
    Oh yes, Twitter is absolute scathing!
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenzen wrote: »
    The Vicar seems very different from the book, I was hoping they would be quite faithful to some parts of the story but it looks not. Agree with others re the speech. I am watching with headphones on but still struggling to make out what they are saying. Also the acting well... could be far better, I never did get the all the hype around Lady Sybil in DA anyway.

The WHOLE point of the vicar in the story is that he's an Albino. Very very important!!!
    (though it would be hard to cast)
    Aunt Patience and Joss are far too young.... the whole thing is laughable.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The second episode doesn't look any better. :(

I notice it's on tomorrow night rather than next week. The BBC seem to do consecutive-night showings with shows they're nervous about a lot these days.
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I will give it a go again tomorrow but Im not impressed.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was like Laura Ashely does DuMaurier for Spring/ Summer 2014.
  • philoolaphiloola Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's an hour of my life I'll never get back.

Was really looking forward to this.

60 minutes later it seems that absolutely nothing has happened and I couldn't understand what anyone was saying anyway.

Won't be bothering with Ep.2
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll give it another go tomorrow, but i'm lowering my expectations. Thinking about it, the last adaptation I really enjoyed was the Crimson Petal and the White and that was back in 2011, I can't think of anything since then that has been really good (on the BBC).

I just spoke to my dad, his review 'it's all too dark, I turned it off' Pretty fair description.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I notice it's on tomorrow night rather than next week. The BBC seem to do consecutive-night showings with shows they're nervous about a lot these days.

I don't think I'll continue watching. Shame, as I had been looking forward to it.
  • jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Glad it's not just my ears. The sound is awful. Not sure whether I'll watch the second episode or not.:(
    Forum Member
    jammoon1 wrote: »
    Glad it's not just my ears. The sound is awful. Not sure whether I'll watch the second episode or not.:(

Definitely 'not' for me. It was really turgid, uninvolving stuff and I don't want to watch another hour of it.
  • SalzSalz Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right at the end I thought Joss said " Do you wanna build a snowman" and was waiting for them to burst into song. OH thinks it might have been "You're one of us now" :blush::) I don't think I will bother tomorrow.
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up after 40 minutes as I could see no point in wasting my time trying to hear what they were saying. Like others we pushed the sound up and up and still it was just a muffled load of old mumbling. They must have spent a lot of money on this, shame it was all directed into the filming and not into the sound quality.
  • Karen_Grant_WasKaren_Grant_Was Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Well I loved it , cant wait for tomorrow's episode, never read the book and I know people who did the story at school and hated it but I thought it was great, there were parts I couldn't hear properly even with the sound up which annoyed me a bit but overall I enjoyed it
  • sianpsianp Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    I won't be investing any more time in this. Whatever they are showing bears little resemblance to the book. The characters are incomprehensible and we had to use subtitles. Very disappointing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely 'not' for me. It was really turgid, uninvolving stuff and I don't want to watch another hour of it.

Good summary of a very poor drama. An earlier poster referred to Poldark and I believe they are remaking that as well. I look forward to it.:(
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very visually stylised & atmospheric but found myself having to concentrate far too hard on what the characters were saying - and even at that, didn't catch half of the dialogue.
    Because of that, I didn't find myself involved in any way with the characters or the narrative.
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kernow1953 wrote: »
    Good summary of a very poor drama. An earlier poster referred to Poldark and I believe they are remaking that as well. I look forward to it.:(

If Poldark remake is anything like this, I won't bother to even try watching!
    Forum Member
    allie4 wrote: »
    If Poldark remake is anything like this, I won't bother to even try watching!

Agreed. It doesn't bode well for Poldark at all. I can imagine it being very, very similar. :(
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    Well I loved it , cant wait for tomorrow's episode, never read the book and I know people who did the story at school and hated it but I thought it was great, there were parts I couldn't hear properly even with the sound up which annoyed me a bit but overall I enjoyed it

That was an excellent hour of drama. Baffled by the supposed sound problem, it's not like this is the only film that adopts the Jonny Depp Acting School of Mumbling style to establish the tension, which I thought was effectively done. Joanne Whalley fantastic as ever - she comes over as really durty. Looking forward to the next two episodes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Dreadful..... Turned it off after 40 mins!
    Sound was awful, couldn't understand Joss at all.
    What's happened to Lady Sybil, she was beautiful in DA , now she's got a long thin face.
    Matthew McNulty is fab as usual
    Otherwise, too dark, bad sound and boring:(:(
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there were any problems with the sound they passed me by as most conversations were conducted so as not to be overheard and the rest was monosyllabic. The outside scenery Yorkshire or Cornwall ensured it was atmospheric and Jamaica Inn was grim and brooding. Either I’m not fussy or everyone else is and now I’m looking forward to the next episode.
This discussion has been closed.