ITV Wanted: A Family of My Own

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn and Chris. Seriously wonderful people. My Father is so against same sex adoption butI can only hoped he watched last night and is now kicking himself for being so wrong and narrow minded. What wonderful parents they have made. I was so moved by their love, everyone is truely blessed in that family.

Due to a very annoying husband speaking at the wrong time can anyone please save me the job of re-watching and tell my why the siblings went to Glenn and Chris before they had been approved to adopt them. Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quinnx3 wrote: »
    Glenn and Chris. Seriously wonderful people. My Father is so against same sex adoption butI can only hoped he watched last night and is now kicking himself for being so wrong and narrow minded. What wonderful parents they have made. I was so moved by their love, everyone is truely blessed in that family.

Due to a very annoying husband speaking at the wrong time can anyone please save me the job of re-watching and tell my why the siblings went to Glenn and Chris before they had been approved to adopt them. Thanks.

They explained that it had been agreed that Glenn and Chris would foster the siblings before the panel approved the adoption. They didn't go into much detail about why, but I presume it was because

a) they thought it was very likely that the panel would say yes (given that they were previous adopters, experienced with kids with extra needs, and they seemed to be the last chance before the siblings would be separated), and

b) if they did think it very likely that the panel would say yes, then it would surely be better for the kids to go to their new home sooner rather than later.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks lesleyanne. So glad they weren't seperated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quinnx3 wrote: »
    Thanks lesleyanne. So glad they weren't seperated.

Oh me too! I thought Glenn and Chris were fantastic parents.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    lesleyanne wrote: »
    Oh me too! I thought Glenn and Chris were fantastic parents.

I can only think there was some cute work done with their paperwork, to allow Glen and Chris to have them as they're not Foster carers.
    That's given what I've read on the other threads about Adoption programs, though.

Interesting series, explains things a bit better than some of the others I've seen, Mummy and Daddy 'saturation', pictures cards etc.
    Have to take the social workers word for it that it works, I wouldn't have thought that it would, getting a child into that 'mindset'

Again, got to say fair play to Glenn and Chris, know I couldn't do it and they seem to be properly 'into' being parents and don't just wing it, they keep doing the work required for the kids they've got.

Next week doesn't look too up lifting, failed of more difficult adoptions, from the trailer.
    You can't expect everyone to feel like the Polish woman from last week, when she saw videos of her child.
    Forum Member
    Late bump.
  • Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im in awe of the woman who has adopted disabled kids not that many people would.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 145,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This programme has me in bits....Adoption is so hard.
    How good-looking is Christian for his age.
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im in awe of the woman who has adopted disabled kids not that many people would.

Yes isnt she a saint. Its great that there are people around like her. I know I couldn't do it.
  • Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hansue wrote: »
    Yes isnt she a saint. Its great that there are people around like her. I know I couldn't do it.

Yeah I couldn't do it either.
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im surprised that the Scottish couple are sticking out for a sibling group and not considering a single adoption. They could be waiting forever.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Little Tom is one lucky little boy to have that wonderful family . What a lady his mum is .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That baby was too cute.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the Scottish couple will ever adopt. I sort of got the impression that he had persuaded her to wait for a sibling group under 2. I don't think there is much chance of finding them. Perhaps they just wanted to get accepted. Losing their own is obviously still very painful for them and the dog is a substitute.
    Forum Member

Given the face Nicky pulled when he said people might call her a Saint, she didn't like that at all.
    Forum Member
    strewth wrote: »
    I wonder if the Scottish couple will ever adopt. I sort of got the impression that he had persuaded her to wait for a sibling group under 2. I don't think there is much chance of finding them. Perhaps they just wanted to get accepted. Losing their own is obviously still very painful for them and the dog is a substitute.

Oh the Dog is a substitute, how old is the Dog, how long have they had it?
    Certainly shorten their odds to find a sibling group, if they/their social working looked nationally, I'd say.
    Still a big ask, at 24 months.

Edit: differed from what I expected after last weeks trailer, is there another program to come?
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,151
    Forum Member
    Im surprised that the Scottish couple are sticking out for a sibling group and not considering a single adoption. They could be waiting forever.

If I'm honest - I'm not sure that they'll make suitable parents. I fully understand their wish for a 'perfect' family as they have been through a lot. I admire their honesty but .................it seems to me that even if a sibling pair under 24 months and perfectly healthy were found they still might not measure up to what they're looking for. It seems to be very much about what they want as opposed to the needs of a prospective child. They seem (especially the guy) to still be grieving the loss of their surrogate child.

Hard as it is - I do think not everyone is suitable as an adoptive parent no matter how much they yearn for a child. It's not always a happy ending. I think the two stories tonight were juxtaposed for a reason - showed two very different sides.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    If I'm honest - I'm not sure that they'll make suitable parents. I fully understand their wish for a 'perfect' family as they have been through a lot. I admire their honesty but .................it seems to me that even if a sibling pair under 24 months and perfectly healthy were found they still might not measure up to what they're looking for. It seems to be very much about what they want as opposed to the needs of a prospective child. They seem (especially the guy) to still be grieving the loss of their surrogate child.

Hard as it is - I do think not everyone is suitable as an adoptive parent no matter how much they yearn for a child. It's not always a happy ending. I think the two stories tonight were juxtaposed for a reason - showed two very different sides.

Agree...there was definitely a message around the Scottish couple and you're right, the needs of children should come first.
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting series, explains things a bit better than some of the others I've seen, Mummy and Daddy 'saturation', pictures cards etc.
    Have to take the social workers word for it that it works, I wouldn't have thought that it would, getting a child into that 'mindset'

I think it does work to be honest as I read Cathy Glass' books, she's a foster carer and obviously doesn't write under her real name and changes all names and places. But she often writes about the adoption/long term foster carers process of them visiting in her home and then the child going to their new home etc. Plus I also know someone who's parents have adopted her brothers and for one I saw his transition calander so it must work :)

Obviously it CAN fail but I think that's why there's so much work into matching to make sure it doesn't as it can have a negative effect on the child as it was explained in one of the earlier episodes.
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too and I admire her for taking on 3 wonderful children. I think the eldest was her own right?

If so, her son is just like me in the sense I was the ONLY person in the entire family to be born with a hearing impairment. Nobody else has one and even now as my aunty is doing our family tree, she's not found anyone. To be honest Tom very much reminds me of myself as a lot of my own bones didn't grow in the pregnancy and that has had effects on my development aswell. I'm all good now though I was lucky. I just walk in a certain way, need hearing aids and can't see too well out of my left eye (Y)
    Forum Member
    Just realised that's the last of the series, 4 episodes.
    Shame this wasn't commissioned for more, as it was a bit more informative than some of the others that have been on, could have carried on in the same vein.

Still not enough about what prospective adopters are approved for (age, number of children) and how social services arrive at that approval.