Must Read Graphic Novels

Comments

• Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    I loved the Dark Horse Alien comic books, been years since I read them but they were set after Aliens and must have been before Alien 3 came out, because Newt and Hicks were the main characters. The original AvP stories were really good, too, so much better than the movies.

Surprised there's been no mention of the Scott Pilgrim series, I've only just started getting into them so I've come to it a bit late, but I've been really enjoying it.

Also, as already mentioned - The Walking Dead. Amazing.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just like to say thanks for the choices listed on this thread. I've made several purchases based on the recomendations and have enjoyed all of them.
  • KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have said, Transmetropolitan.

That said, my all-time favourite is Weapon X by Barry Windsor-Smith. He did the words and the pictures, and it shows. Stunning bit of work, if a little 'classic'-looking now.
  • Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started on Garth Ennis's 'The Boys' - loving it as much as Preacher and it's funny to see Simon Pegg in it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DO NOT read The Walking Dead. Unless you enjoy a "kill everyone" Prison Break-style of storytelling with the writer constantly 1-upping himself with the next outrageous storyline. A long-running comic book series about zombies is exactly as depressing as it sounds.

DO, however, read Scott Pilgrim if you enjoy a coming-of-age story with interesting, funny, flawed characters, anime visuals and a ridiculous amount of video game references, many of them story-related.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Planet Hulk - superb graphics and great Hulk story
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with most of the above.

Bit surprised nobody has mentioned Any or all of the Miracleman collected series? A great read, even retrospectively and highly sought after. I sold all the books and the complete run of first prints on amazon and ebay for a combined £600...

Don't think anyone has mentioned the collected edition of Elektra assassin either? IMO Miller and Seinsewickz
    were never better.

Am I showing my age? :)
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oi_cheeky! wrote: »
    Planet Hulk - superb graphics and great Hulk story

I have never liked the hulk but was surprised to really, really enjoy that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    I have never liked the hulk but was surprised to really, really enjoy that.

I agree, I love the Hulk but the stories never really grip. PLanet Hulk got to the essence of the HUlk. Just superb.
  • muldranmuldran Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    The Adventures of Luther Arkwright and Heart of Empire - both fantastic ;) By Brayn Talbot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read Laika about the first dog in space. If you don't have a wee sniffle at the end you are dead inside!

Started Transmetropolitan too - loving it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Sandman (best ever series IMHO, never read a story line where I felt so upset when a major character 'died' before! Gaiman is just a genius as far as I'm concerned)
    Watchmen (everyone mentions it,but it is genuinely genius)
    Preacher (agree with silentNate- gutted when I read the last one and realised that's it for the series!)

Now getting into The Boys (read the first two, instantly hooked)
    The Ultimates series (love the re-imagination of the characters, but haven't been following the proper time-line, so it seems a bit all over the place, and the reviews of the Ultimatum series which I haven't reached yet have been very poor)

And bonzai1888 - strangely I'd mentioned Zenith in the pub the other week, I remember those stories being quality, but haven't seen any copies of it around, think I'll have to do some ebay searches for less official copies! Thanks for the reminder!
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you like "The Boys" you'll love "Powers".:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Walking Dead

The Graphic Novels 'The Walking Dead' have been brought to life! Check out the facebook page for the series.... I'ts currently in productions but will be hitting UK screens in October. EXCITING!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Walking-Dead-on-FXUK/119351628110486?ref=mf
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    All of the collected editions of the Marvel UK Captain Britain run from 1981 to 1986. From Dave Thorpe & Alan Davis through the classic Alan Moore Jasper's Warp story and then the aftermath with the RCX, Kaptain Briton, Gatecrasher by Davis & Jamie Delano. You can't beat that for quality.

Moore's run on Miracleman is pretty amazing as well. Difficult to get hold of now unless you've got deep pockets or an ambivalent moral standpoint about copyright theft.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Duckula666 wrote: »

And bonzai1888 - strangely I'd mentioned Zenith in the pub the other week, I remember those stories being quality, but haven't seen any copies of it around, think I'll have to do some ebay searches for less official copies! Thanks for the reminder!

Zenith is amazing. I know Morrison tossed off phase IV 'cos he'd rather be playing with the big boys across the Atlantic but I prefer Zenith to Doom Patrol, Animal Man or any of his DC work.

"I'm all for ascending to heaven David, I just don't think we have the right to kick the ladder away"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moore's run on Miracleman is pretty amazing as well. Difficult to get hold of now unless you've got deep pockets or an ambivalent moral standpoint about copyright theft.

Was just at the Alan Moore event at the Edinburgh Book Festival - what a guy! A friend then proceeds to pull out all the Miraclemen to get signed. I will be borrowing these!
  • Dunce-2007Dunce-2007 Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member
    For me it has to be Akira, those 6 chunky black & white graphic novels by Katsuhiro Otomo, spectacular work which will have you hooked.

Runners up are-Watchmen and Frank Millers batman stuff.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dave1979 wrote: »
    Was just at the Alan Moore event at the Edinburgh Book Festival - what a guy! A friend then proceeds to pull out all the Miraclemen to get signed. I will be borrowing these!

I once bought a bagged copy of issue one to complete my set at a comic mart. It was only a couple of quid at the time. When I opened it, it was signed by Alan Moore on page one!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never read these before but picked up the Walking Dead and read all 78 issues in 3 days, amazing, dark stuff !!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was the same with The Walking Dead - I got the compendium volume 1 (issues #1-48 for £32!!!!) and read it all in 3 days!

I could not put it down!
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    I don't normally read graphic novels, but I'm doing an English degree and Maus was on the reading list - it was so so so good, and I couldn't put it down.

I've read Watchmen since too, that was also great.
  • FunkmasterTFunkmasterT Posts: 14,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    If you like "The Boys" you'll love "Powers".:cool:

I'm trying so hard to get into Powers, but It's been a bit of a chore so far. I bought the Definitive Collection volume 1 a few months back, and I finally got round to starting it a couple of weeks back, but I'm not enjoying it too much. While I liked the writing, the Retro Girl storyline felt really hard to get into - the last couple of issues of it were actually pretty good, but then I started reading the weird story featuring Warren Ellis and I was put off again. The dialogue in Powers so far has been great, really, but I'm just not clicking with it yet.
  • edindieedindie Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    gav016 wrote: »
    I don't normally read graphic novels, but I'm doing an English degree and Maus was on the reading list - it was so so so good, and I couldn't put it down.

I've read Watchmen since too, that was also great.

Is it a translation or was it originally written in english?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    for anyone just getting into graphic novels, I'd highly recommend Paul Gravett's - Graphic Novels: Stories to Change Your Life.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Graphic-Novels-Stories-Change-Your/dp/1845130685/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1305899269&sr=8-1