[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    his scenes with Karen are classic
  • Options
    ElectricBoy171ElectricBoy171 Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve is one of the best characters. He always makes me laugh and I loved his and Becky's relationship.
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve should never leave, they just need to take him down a new road to mix it up. I'd like to see him go back into crime, and eventually prison. Tracy will of course take the moral high ground and ban him from seeing Amy despite her own past. He could commit fraud and end up losing Streetcars etc. I think he's been sitting pretty for too long attracting love triangle stories like a magnet, time to show us the real Steve once again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    I could see Steve being next Ken Barlow and he adds humour to the soap, particularly with Elieen and even Tracey (though I can't stand her!)
  • Options
    FrankieSFrankieS Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Corrie's version of Emmerdale's Marlon. His constant gurning gets on my wick. He's not funny - just a terrible actor.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There appears to be an ongoing competition for who can be the worst actor in Corrie. If so, then Steve is currently well in the lead.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    There appears to be an ongoing competition for who can be the worst actor in Corrie. If so, then Steve is currently well in the lead.

Maybe in your poll. ;)

As you can see on here, very many of us think he's a great character - funny, hapless, a bit stupid, but with a heart of gold. Long may he reign in Corrie. :cool:
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Maybe in your poll. ;)

As you can see on here, very many of us think he's a great character - funny, hapless, a bit stupid, but with a heart of gold. Long may he reign in Corrie. :cool:

^^^ This.

He just needs to get an nice woman.
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Initially - as in years ago I didn't like Steve but now he's fast becoming a legend and a true favourite. Love Steve.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Maybe in your poll. ;)

Initially - as in years ago I didn't like Steve but now he's fast becoming a legend and a true favourite. Love Steve.:)

agree with the above posts :)
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve flipping McDonald is one of Corrie's fllipping untouchables when it comes to axeings, so he is going flipping nowhere.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve flipping McDonald is one of Corrie's fllipping untouchables when it comes to axeings, so he is going flipping nowhere.

Flipping good! :D:D
  • Options
    Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Steve.......long may he reign...if, you are desperate to lose a bad actor - bye, bye, Kym Marsh....;)
  • Options
    LousianaLousiana Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those saying "he cracks me up" etc and commenting on how funny the character is are missing the point.

Steve was never supposed to be a one-note comedy character yet that is all he has become, a bit like Deirdre and Gail. Even Steve's serious storylines now have that hint of comedy because of the way Gregson plays it, I am wondering if he is told to play everything the way he does or if he has just forgotten how to do serious acting.

I would not want to see him leave but the character is stuck in a rut. How many more times are they going to rehash the whole Steve/Steve's gf/Tracey stuff? It doesn't make any sense as Tracey moved on from Steve in her last stint when she got together with Charlie.

Personally I don't know what women see in Steve. It's beyond a joke that Tracey killed Charlie for cheating on her yet it's supposedly Steve who is the love of her life.
  • Options
    HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amber Rose wrote: »
    and I am sure you are the perfect person who can show Simon Gregson exactly how to "act" :rolleyes:

the ignorance on this forum is unbelieveable :mad::mad::mad:

What a ridiculous post. So I have to be an actor to critique somebody's acting ability (or lack of)? If you can't take any such opinions perhaps a public forum is not the place for you.
  • Options
    Hootie19Hootie19 Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helicase wrote: »
    How exactly? Did you read my opening post?

Yes. Read your OPINION and disagreed with it.

Just because you hold an opinion, doesn't make it a fact.

Personally I love Steve McDonald, and I actually do laugh at Simon Gregson's facial expressions and delivery of his lines.

Long Live Steve McDonald - in my OPINION.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lousiana wrote: »
    Those saying "he cracks me up" etc and commenting on how funny the character is are missing the point.

Steve was never supposed to be a one-note comedy character yet that is all he has become, a bit like Deirdre and Gail. Even Steve's serious storylines now have that hint of comedy because of the way Gregson plays it, I am wondering if he is told to play everything the way he does or if he has just forgotten how to do serious acting.

I would not want to see him leave but the character is stuck in a rut. How many more times are they going to rehash the whole Steve/Steve's gf/Tracey stuff? It doesn't make any sense as Tracey moved on from Steve in her last stint when she got together with Charlie.

Personally I don't know what women see in Steve. It's beyond a joke that Tracey killed Charlie for cheating on her yet it's supposedly Steve who is the love of her life.

I think that sums up brilliantly the problem with Steve. How is it even possible to take a character seriously when the actor plays none of their scenes seriously? Even comic characters of the past played the scenes seriously and this often enhanced the humour. Maude Grimes was a classic example of this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hootie19 wrote: »
    Yes. Read your OPINION and disagreed with it.

Just because you hold an opinion, doesn't make it a fact.

Personally I love Steve McDonald, and I actually do laugh at Simon Gregson's facial expressions and delivery of his lines.

Long Live Steve McDonald - in my OPINION.

WFT is with "OPINION"?!!!!

Is your caps lock sticking?

The post I responded to did not even address my opening points, hence asking if it had even been read. That's got nothing to do with fact or opinion, rather just common courtesy that people actually respond to the original post properly. Otherwise post in a different thread!
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's my fave character along with Deidre, Kylie & Sally :)
  • Options
    emma dailyemma daily Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helicase wrote: »
    I've been thinking this for a long while now. But popular opinion would say otherwise so I have kept my mouth shut.

I think Steve McDonald has had his day and needs to go.

Over the past few years he has been stuck on the same boring merry-go-round involving Tracy, Michelle and several other women. Initially with Karen, it proved for pretty decent viewing along with her feud with Tracy. Since then it has got gradually more tedious.

The situation also isn't helped by Simon Gregson's increasingly horrendous acting. Years ago he seemed fairly competent and carried off the bad lad role fairly well. Steve mellowed a bit and Simon was still pretty good until somewhere between Steve leaving Karen and getting together with Michelle.

Since then all Simon Gregson seems to do is pull weird faces and talk as though he's a baby. These days I just find his performances utterly bizarre.

I think at the very least the character needs a very extended break and writing team need to get their act together and sort out this character. Perhaps someone needs to remind Simon Gregson how to act.

I agree, however I feel there is potential with the new Emma story so we need to give it a chance.
  • Options
    david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In your origanal post you titled it he needs to go, then at the bottom you put maybe a break? Make your mind up.

If corrie did get rid of him I reckon there would be a big fuss. Just like Tony in hollyoaks. I know he not dead but they wanted us to think he was.

I don't mind Steve. Good comedy character :)

• Options
    tivtiv Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not while Gemma and her Mother draw breath!
  • Options
    Iceblade33Iceblade33 Posts: 18,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2012 called, it wants it’s thread back😂

Steve is quite annoying these days, although he’s not irredeemable. Him being with Tracey is the biggest SOR in Corrie history though, he would never get back with her after all she has done.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »

Maybe in your poll. ;)

I totally agree with this. Steve is one of the few Corrie characters that has any charm and keeps me watching
  • Options
    david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't realise this was a thread from years ago. Should really look at the dates lol
This discussion has been closed.