Options

Is it THAT easy to become Director General of the BBC?

123457»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Sorry - having thick/blonde/aged moment and don't get what you're saying.

My point is that ratings are really only a reliable judgement medium when we are talking about a series of programmes. The Jubilee Pageant was a one-off and I don't think I was alone in thinking that the BBC would do it better than any other channel. There had been no warning that they were going to turn it in to a comic act!

I'll leave it to you to decide what kind of moment you were having.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul55 wrote: »
    I'll leave it to you to decide what kind of moment you were having.

very wise! bit of a mixture really...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    very wise! bit of a mixture really...

It happens to the best of us. :)
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,714
    Forum Member
    choosing one bad option from a list of 3 or 4 bad or worse options, is hardly speculating in the true meaning of the word.
    Well, here's the true meaning of the word. You decide :)
    Verb: Form a theory or conjecture about a subject without firm evidence.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Sorry - having thick/blonde/aged moment and don't get what you're saying.

My point is that ratings are really only a reliable judgement medium when we are talking about a series of programmes. The Jubilee Pageant was a one-off and I don't think I was alone in thinking that the BBC would do it better than any other channel. There had been no warning that they were going to turn it in to a comic act!

It should be pointed out, that in the interests of balance, a traditional "naked" feed was available on the red button.

The BBC's mistake was pointing them on the wrong channels really. I'm sure that nobody would complain in that instance.
  • Options
    dynamicsdynamics Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that really is what I'd call a disingenuous post. Speaking for myself (and people I knew) we were looking forward to the Jubilee Pageant. BBC is often first choice for events of this stature. After about an hour many of us realised that what we were watching was comic cuts meets the Jubilee and, I admit, carried on watching with a kind of horrified fascination, whilst flicking backwards and forwards to other channels - all of whom were making a much better fist of it.

Of course ratings are an important gauge of public opinion. But not when they are for one off events.

Now, let me see.

You werent just speaking for yourself, you specifically said "most hated it".

You post something that was factually incorrect. You said most hated it. They clearly didnt. Regarding ratings, someone else has already pointed out that people could have changed to another channel, yet they stayed. Secondly the approval score is not based on ratings.

You posted this to support your position about GE, saying it showed he had "form". Whatever your opinion about the coverage, and I am fully aware of the criticism, to use one program, and inaccurate facts as some kind of proof of your claims is the only disingenuous thing here.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dynamics wrote: »
    Now, let me see.

You werent just speaking for yourself, you specifically said "most hated it".

You post something that was factually incorrect. You said most hated it. They clearly didnt. Regarding ratings, someone else has already pointed out that people could have changed to another channel, yet they stayed. Secondly the approval score is not based on ratings.

You posted this to support your position about GE, saying it showed he had "form". Whatever your opinion about the coverage, and I am fully aware of the criticism, to use one program, and inaccurate facts as some kind of proof of your claims is the only disingenuous thing here.

Ouch! Okay, people loved it really.