Jeanette article in Sunday papers. .

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After Leveson, I did wonder how much of these "leaks" we would get.....
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After Leveson, I did wonder how much of these "leaks" we would get.....

StrikliLeaks
  • peevepeeve Posts: 3,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    StrikliLeaks

Nice one, soupy! :D:D:D:D:
  • KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    girlcrisis wrote: »
    I thought that tabloids just made up unnamed "insiders" and "sources" as an attempt to give the many liberties they take with the truth credibility.

'Sources' and 'insiders' etc. are generally thought to be the people themselves. ;)
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Sources' and 'insiders' etc. are generally thought to be the people themselves. ;)

Or PR people who want to drum up publicity ;)
  • coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    I still can't work out the thinking behind segregating the two parts of the forum. I know there was a vote, someone said, back in the pre-history of this board, but why on earth? And can we vote it back together again?

The attic siphons people off into separate little worlds... like rock pools left by a high tide. There will be whole new species of fishies and shrimps if we leave them separate much longer. And at the same time, this part of the forum has a tendency to pride itself on nastiness.

The more you police folk, the less they try to get along. I'd drive the whole lot of us back together.y
    Admittedly, I don't know what it was like before the Balkanisation. Perhaps it happened for a reason. But I know I am offended when posters tell you 'get back to the attic'.

Well I certainly don't think that this part of the forum prides itself on its nastiness.

To be honest the appreciation threads seem to cause most of the problems , if is not people who jump to the defence of their favouriteds and stifle any discussion it is comments like your last.

Just because down here is not all sweetness and light it does not mean that people pride themselves on their nastiness .

And to be honest I am sure it must be against terms and conditions to post such a general disrespectful post.

I am against the appreciation threads coming down as ther will be more in fighting with more people saying you are just mean and nasty because you think my favorite is not as good as x.

Also when the show starts properly the main board will be lost as appreciation threads will take over the whole front page.

This year there has been a lot of tetchiness as a small group tried to take over a thread that a lot of people wanted to contribute to
    With posting pictures and in jokes and general turning every comment towards their favourite, which was annoying , BUT what was worse was the generally rude way when people complained, that their complaints were disrespected and generally passive aggressive comments were made of a thinly veiled nature which were against terms and conditions .

The board is to discuss the show not to be rude to one another. I don't have it in me to think that my favourite is perfect and beyond fault , and I will say so , some celebs put themselves out there and cannot be surprised when they get adverse comment.

for example Julien is loud , he must have been told about this in this and it is something he can do something about and if he chooses not to he must take the adverse comments with the good

Dave bless him is not the handsomest bloke on the block but I suspect this is the only time I will comment on this as he can't change it( except for a damn good haircut)

Whatever I don't want the appreciations threads down as I think the friction would be too bad but I also think the them and us attitude comes a lot from misunderstanding , just because a celeb is being adversely talked about does not mean they need white knights to ride in and protect them and comments such has people delight in being rude are not helpful because it is simply not true.

Anyway that was today's sermon I have even bored myself

My vote would be for those who only want positive comments about their celebs to stay in the attic and understand that in the general discussion bit some people may not like their celeb but what they say is not being mean for means sake , sometimes it is from humour sake ie Loius and his pontefract cake last year.
    Sometimes it because it is because their celeb has been a prat , ie Lisa saying she was a size 16 last year when she bloody was never and could do a lot of damage to young girls self image by making out that was what a size 16 looked like
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coppertop1 wrote: »
    Well I certainly don't think that this part of the forum prides itself on its nastiness.

To be honest the appreciation threads seem to cause most of the problems , if is not people who jump to the defence of their favouriteds and stifle any discussion it is comments like your last.

Just because down here is not all sweetness and light it does not mean that people pride themselves on their nastiness .

And to be honest I am sure it must be against terms and conditions to post such a general disrespectful post.

I am against the appreciation threads coming down as ther will be more in fighting with more people saying you are just mean and nasty because you think my favorite is not as good as x.

Also when the show starts properly the main board will be lost as appreciation threads will take over the whole front page.

This year there has been a lot of tetchiness as a small group tried to take over a thread that a lot of people wanted to contribute to
    With posting pictures and in jokes and general turning every comment towards their favourite, which was annoying , BUT what was worse was the generally rude way when people complained, that their complaints were disrespected and generally passive aggressive comments were made of a thinly veiled nature which were against terms and conditions .

The board is to discuss the show not to be rude to one another. I don't have it in me to think that my favourite is perfect and beyond fault , and I will say so , some celebs put themselves out there and cannot be surprised when they get adverse comment.

for example Julien is loud , he must have been told about this in this and it is something he can do something about and if he chooses not to he must take the adverse comments with the good

Dave bless him is not the handsomest bloke on the block but I suspect this is the only time I will comment on this as he can't change it( except for a damn good haircut)

Whatever I don't want the appreciations threads down as I think the friction would be too bad but I also think the them and us attitude comes a lot from misunderstanding , just because a celeb is being adversely talked about does not mean they need white knights to ride in and protect them and comments such has people delight in being rude are not helpful because it is simply not true.

Anyway that was today's sermon I have even bored myself

My vote would be for those who only want positive comments about their celebs to stay in the attic and understand that in the general discussion bit some people may not like their celeb but what they say is not being mean for means sake , sometimes it is from humour sake ie Loius and his pontefract cake last year.
    Sometimes it because it is because their celeb has been a prat , ie Lisa saying she was a size 16 last year when she bloody was never and could do a lot of damage to young girls self image by making out that was what a size 16 looked like

Oh wow, a bit to much for me to take in this early.
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snipped by mimi to avoid duplication

...But I agree with this very balanced well thought out post
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could it not be equally said that non appreciation type postings should be confined to that thread?

In other words, if discussion is clearly emotive rather than constructive, whether negative or positive, it needs to be kept in the thread/subforum concerned. It is perfectly possible to say you didn't like a dance, an outfit, or whatever in a fairly dispassionate manner and it doesn't need to make the discussion the least boring, unless you value that sort of response, in which case there is a place for it.

I am sure someone will now tell me that this is the case already, and if it truly is then fair enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    Could it not be equally said that non appreciation type postings should be confined to that thread?

In other words, if discussion is clearly emotive rather than constructive, whether negative or positive, it needs to be kept in the thread/subforum concerned. It is perfectly possible to say you didn't like a dance, an outfit, or whatever in a fairly dispassionate manner and it doesn't need to make the discussion the least boring, unless you value that sort of response, in which case there is a place for it.

I am sure someone will now tell me that this is the case already, and if it truly is then fair enough.
    No I think you missed my point altogether the main board shoud be a discussion board and that includes positive as well as negative views , a discussion could not be otherwise.
    You can't have just negative views confined to the non appreciation thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I think you missed my point altogether the main board shoud be a discussion board and that includes positive as well as negative views , a discussion could not be otherwise.
    You can't have just negative views confined to the non appreciation thread.

Sorry I think you've missed mine :)

I was saying you can have both positive and negative in any discussion, but constructive and not emotive.

The emotive stuff IMO, positive or negative, belongs in its own threads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was saying you can have both positive and negative in any discussion, but constructive and not emotive.

On the non-App thread, performers are often given nicknames.
    I would always (if i remember!) call Kristina by her proper name when outside the thread etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People do get very emotive over this programme I can be moved to strong emotion now on the subject of having Bruce STILL presenting badly on this programme.

I have nothing constructive to say about Bruce , just because someone has equally strong emotions about Bruce The opposite way I may think that they are deluded and will put my point of view across but emotion does not need to lead to rudeness to fellow posters
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People do get very emotive over this programme I can be moved to strong emotion now on the subject of having Bruce STILL presenting badly on this programme.

I have nothing constructive to say about Bruce , just because someone has equally strong emotions about Bruce The opposite way I may think that they are deluded and will put my point of view across but emotion does not need to lead to rudeness to fellow posters

I agree with you on that.
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    It's not just the tabloids though. Somebody is feeding them these stories. I mean where do all these 'strictly insiders' come from?

Car park attendants and tea-ladies?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tea ladies quick contact the Daily Mail yet another way the Beeb waste our licence fee:eek::D
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    ...But I agree with this very balanced well thought out post

I do too Mims, well done Coppertop.

The appreciation threads were separated deliberately so they could be about that - appreciation, as they were constantly being derailed by posters with different opinions, even though it was labelled appreciation. The atmosphere was awful for a while.

And anyone is welcome in the non-appreciation thread, honestly, providing you have a sense of humour and are not precious about your favourite. ;)

We all have favourites in there and we're all respectful of each other's opinions, even though you may have the mickey taken out of you for that opinion (Austinwozrobbed anyone? :o:D) It's honestly one of the most democratic threads on this board but it seems to be the one that's most easily misinterpreted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're in the wrong place if you don't want emotive. ;) This board, I would hazard a guess, is mostly women and I certainly like getting emotional about stuff, even if it's a pointless tv programme. For a lot of people, it's their stress relief. ;)

I think you just need to retain a sense of humour and not automatically judge a post that can easily be misinterpreted.

Back to Janette, can't stand her. ;):D
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I understand coppertop correctly, she is making exactly the rude comments I find offensive. Get back in the attic.

Nowhere in my suggestion here did I say I wanted only positive comments. I'm not precious about my favourites. I haven't attacked any bugger, aggressively or passive aggressively. Search my post history. I wasn't aware of doing anything other than airing a subject I didn't get a chance to discuss through turning up too late.

I resent being told where to go, what to post, how to behave by other posters.

It's rude. If you were to direct that hostility against people of one ethnicity, or gender, colour or heritage -- go back where you belong, stay there -- no one would have difficulty seeing the prejudice. Why should I and others put up with it?

I am frankly fed up of the contemptuous attitude that gets applause from some on this board.

I would be glad if the mods would ban me, to be honest. It's quite hard to stop posting all on my own. Maybe some kind person will report me? I should think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alli-F wrote: »
    You're in the wrong place if you don't want emotive. ;) This board, I would hazard a guess, is mostly women and I certainly like getting emotional about stuff, even if it's a pointless tv programme. For a lot of people, it's their stress relief. ;)

I think you just need to retain a sense of humour and not automatically judge a post that can easily be misinterpreted.

Back to Janette, can't stand her. ;):D

Emotive isn't the same as emotional, but my bad for mixing terminology to begin with (i didn't distinguish in my reply to coppertop).

I am thinking in some ways of the reaction to certain threads and postings, often from those who themselves are no strangers to forum controversy.

if kept in its place it's probably fine, IMO.

As to Jeanette, I have paid no mind to her and that might be my prejudice because I am no fan of Julien. Were I to wish to go into more detail I'd be using Non-Appreciation for that.

Finally, I agree with Pet Monkey,. there is too much "oh you can post here so long as you do it this way" and the like.
    That is the job of the mods.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emotive isn't the same as emotional, but my bad for mixing terminology to begin with (i didn't distinguish in my reply to coppertop).

I am thinking in some ways of the reaction to certain threads and postings, often from those who themselves are no strangers to forum controversy.

if kept in its place it's probably fine, IMO.

As to Jeanette, I have paid no mind to her and that might be my prejudice because I am no fan of Julien. Were I to wish to go into more detail I'd be using Non-Appreciation for that.

Finally, I agree with Pet Monkey,. there is too much "oh you can post here so long as you do it this way" and the like.
    That is the job of the mods.

I apologise if you feel that way, it wasn't my intention at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I understand coppertop correctly, she is making exactly the rude comments I find offensive. Get back in the attic.

Nowhere in my suggestion here did I say I wanted only positive comments. I'm not precious about my favourites. I haven't attacked any bugger, aggressively or passive aggressively. Search my post history. I wasn't aware of doing anything other than airing a subject I didn't get a chance to discuss through turning up too late.

It's rude. If you were to direct that hostility against people of one ethnicity, or gender, colour or heritage -- go back where you belong, stay there -- no one would have difficulty seeing the prejudice. Why should I and others put up with it?

I am frankly fed up of the contemptuous attitude that gets applause from some on this board.

I would be glad if the mods would ban me, to be honest. It's quite hard to stop posting all on my own. Maybe some kind person will report me? I should think.

Bit in bold.

It's a silly little forum about a silly little tv program, not the re-introduction of Apartheid
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alli-F wrote: »
    I apologise if you feel that way, it wasn't my intention at all.

Nothing to apologise for. I think we just misunderstood each other.
  • Kmc1978Kmc1978 Posts: 7,144
    Forum Member

I think that you have misunderstood. Coppertop said that it would be best for those who ONLY want to read positive comments to stay within the attic threads. "The Attic" is not used derogatively, it was a term coined when the forum was first split because the sub-forums were placed above the main forum, making it look like an attic conversion. The term is used regularly because it is easier to type that than typing Appreciation sub-forum... it's just another form of internet shorthand rather than an attempt at being rude.
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    Bit in bold.

It's a silly little forum about a silly little tv program, not the re-introduction of Apartheid

So because posters want to keep a board that discusses the silly little tv programme exactly as they want it, they have the right to tell others how to behave, and to dismiss them on no authority other than impatience?

It's high-handed, to put it as mildly as possible.

It's rude.
This discussion has been closed.