Hinterland (Y Gwyll): BBC / S4C

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
Forum Member
Hinterland (Y Gwyll) is an original Welsh interpretation of the classic Scandinavian crime dramas that have proved popular on these shores for the past few years. People will ultimately draw comparisons with the 2013 hit Broadchurch and it is true there are similarities: the brooding outsider detective who moves to a small community area under secretive circumstances, his female colleague who is fiercely protective of the community she was born and bred in to, the pillars of the community who appear to be hiding secrets...But I believe these can be put down to general crime drama tropes and as the series progresses, I think we'll get more divergence.
I'm getting ahead of myself though. Let's focus on the first episode! In the opening scenes we're introduced to two characters: DCI Tom Mathias and the Welsh landscape. Indeed Wales has never looked so cinematic and beautiful...in a menacing, brooding kind of way. A perfect case of pathetic fallacy. Before DCI Tom Mathias has a chance to spruce up his shoddy caravan, he's been called to investigate the disappearance (and later murder) of a former children's home manager.
We are taken on many twists and turns through the episode and are treated to some Welsh folklore about an old woman outsmarting the devil who was so embarrassed he fled Wales. However, Mathias isn't convinced. He doesn't think the devil ever left and judging by the revelations of what went on in that children's home, you would agree with him. All actors give stellar performances but special mention should go to Sara Lloyd Gregory. Her performance is amazing.
Overall, this is a well-crafted drama that I would highly recommend. Did anyone else see it and what did they think?

Comments

• ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,281
    Forum Member
    BBC4 are showing the English language version later this year.
  • Sun!Sun! Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC 1 Wales is showing it on Saturday evenings, after Casualty now. The first episode was last night and you can catch up on iPlayer.

It looks very good in my opinion. I certainly enjoyed last nights episode! :)
  • strictlysnoopystrictlysnoopy Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Thoroughly enjoyed this programme. Good acting, storyline and scenery.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, greatly enjoyed it, all credit to BBC Wales. But when is part 2 - can't see it in any listings and doesn't seem to be on BBC1 Wales next Saturday.I thought there were four episodes.
    Forum Member
    Actually I'm very tempted to watch this now instead of waiting for the one in English. I've got used to subtitles with all the European shows I've been watching, they're second nature now :) I'm going to give it a go on iplayer.

Edit: just watched the first ten mins and seems very promising, lovely scenery too. Not much Welsh dialogue so far, I really like listening to different languages. I thought they made a totally Welsh version then a totally English one. I'm definitely going to watch it now, I don't want to wait!
  • strictlysnoopystrictlysnoopy Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Monday Jan 13th Part 1 21.OO and part 2 at 22.30 .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Actually I'm very tempted to watch this now instead of waiting for the one in English. I've got used to subtitles with all the European shows I've been watching, they're second nature now :) I'm going to give it a go on iplayer.

Edit: just watched the first ten mins and seems very promising, lovely scenery too. Not much Welsh dialogue so far, I really like listening to different languages. I thought they made a totally Welsh version then a totally English one. I'm definitely going to watch it now, I don't want to wait!

The English one features some Welsh dialogue between characters and provides subtitles although my OH did laugh as there were some minor discrepancies involving helping oneself to tea! :D
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one that thought this was a parody?

I genuinely thought they were taking the p out of the whole Euro-Noir thing. The broadchurch "new boy", the half arsed subtitles, the ludicrous plot, the moody shots of the scenery, the incompetent police, the simply daft resolution.

It was only when I found this thread I realised I was not supposed to have been laughing, I'm paranoid I'm a weirdo now :D
  • wildwestwaleswildwestwales Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    Felt the same. Will give the next episode a go to see if there is an improvement.
  • lindenlealindenlea Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hinterland (Y Gwyll) is an original Welsh interpretation of the classic Scandinavian crime dramas that have proved popular on these shores for the past few years. People will ultimately draw comparisons with the 2013 hit Broadchurch and it is true there are similarities: the brooding outsider detective who moves to a small community area under secretive circumstances, his female colleague who is fiercely protective of the community she was born and bred in to, the pillars of the community who appear to be hiding secrets...But I believe these can be put down to general crime drama tropes and as the series progresses, I think we'll get more divergence.
    I'm getting ahead of myself though. Let's focus on the first episode! In the opening scenes we're introduced to two characters: DCI Tom Mathias and the Welsh landscape. Indeed Wales has never looked so cinematic and beautiful...in a menacing, brooding kind of way. A perfect case of pathetic fallacy. Before DCI Tom Mathias has a chance to spruce up his shoddy caravan, he's been called to investigate the disappearance (and later murder) of a former children's home manager.
    We are taken on many twists and turns through the episode and are treated to some Welsh folklore about an old woman outsmarting the devil who was so embarrassed he fled Wales. However, Mathias isn't convinced. He doesn't think the devil ever left and judging by the revelations of what went on in that children's home, you would agree with him. All actors give stellar performances but special mention should go to Sara Lloyd Gregory. Her performance is amazing.
    Overall, this is a well-crafted drama that I would highly recommend. Did anyone else see it and what did they think?

Many thanks for starting this thread. I'd never have known about Hinterland otherwise.

I was able to watch the first episode on iPlayer and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have to add, that I've never watched any of the Scandinavian crime dramas it draws on, so don't bring any preconceptions. I know the outsider detective bringing some serious personal baggage which hasn't yet been fully revealed, is something of a cliche, but I thought Richard Harrington played it very well. I agree, the rest of the cast were excellent too. The setting was wonderful - scenery alternating between gloomy and uplifting, with a lot of rain! I'll definitely continue watching.

I found a Guardian article from back in July, which gives some information about the filming process:
    Hinterland – the TV noir so good they made it twice.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,904
    Forum Member
    Nobody watching it then.

Don't blame you - it's crap. I'm just watching to spot places I know!
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. 11 posts on what is meant to become a cult classic à la Borgen and The Killing.
  • lindenlealindenlea Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Oh dear. 11 posts on what is meant to become a cult classic à la Borgen and The Killing.

Isn't it only on BBC1 Wales at the moment? I haven't seen any publicity for it on TV or in listings magazines in SE England and only heard of it due to this thread (but maybe I'm just unobservant!).

I shall be watching both parts of the second story on iPlayer
    Forum Member
    I wanted to see the full Welsh version and thought the BBC Wales airing was it, but I didn't know S4C have already shown that version (in Oct/Nov I think). I'm going to catch up with what I've missed on the iplayer, so if anyone has missed it it's on there. Not sure when it's meant to be on BBC4, but there'll be another chance to see it as well!
  • RobbomanRobboman Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it last night, better than the first episode. Things seemed to develop a bit more quickly as the plot unfolded. Great acting and camera work and even a hint at why Aberystwyth recently got flooded from a tidal surge.
  • wildwestwaleswildwestwales Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. Not much of an improvement on the first episode.
  • Thea1710Thea1710 Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I'm very sorry to say that Hinterland has not lived up to my expectations. We have been viewing the English ( with some Welsh) version.
    The acting is good , and the lead detective is an ideal brooding hero. Problem is there is not enough about him, personally . His background, feelings, life . These things make a character more human . Also, I do not think it portrays Wales very well...and I live here . Too miserable, !
    The other criticism is the use of Welsh .( In more scenes last week, than the week before.)It spoils a show breaking into another language in the middle of important plots . What about people with poor eyesight who don't understand Welsh? Even if you do speak Welsh, I still think it spoils the show . Dramas set in Scotland don't suddenly break into Gaelic, or Irish programmes!
    By the way, I didn't like the Scandinavian detectives either.
    Also, before I get criticised. I am Welsh, live in Wales and speak Welsh
    Forum Member
    Thea1710 wrote: »
    I'm very sorry to say that Hinterland has not lived up to my expectations. We have been viewing the English ( with some Welsh) version.
    The acting is good , and the lead detective is an ideal brooding hero. Problem is there is not enough about him, personally . His background, feelings, life . These things make a character more human . Also, I do not think it portrays Wales very well...and I live here . Too miserable, !
    The other criticism is the use of Welsh .( In more scenes last week, than the week before.)It spoils a show breaking into another language in the middle of important plots . What about people with poor eyesight who don't understand Welsh? Even if you do speak Welsh, I still think it spoils the show . Dramas set in Scotland don't suddenly break into Gaelic, or Irish programmes!
    By the way, I didn't like the Scandinavian detectives either.
    Also, before I get criticised. I am Welsh, live in Wales and speak Welsh

I don't think the forays into Welsh affect anything. I expect it shows the bilingual nature of the community, and I'm sure viewers can manage the odd subtitled snippet. The reason you wouldn't hear Gaelic in a scottish programme is that the language is generally confined to the islands. Welsh is more alive in Wales, and you'd definitely hear it in Ceredigion.

I'm more concerned about the dreary plot and dismal characters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy watching it but last night's plot was a little too easy to work out, and I'm usually rubbish.

Totally unrealistic though....... I've familiar with West Wales and there is no way he would have got a mobile phone signal in that forest ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    This is the best programme aired since Broadchurch. Richard Harrington is wonderful in the role. The scenery is fabulous and the story lines keep you gripped . The welsh version was called Y Gwyll I think and was on S4C. The BBC Wales English version has been on Mondays at 9pm. Last episode next week. I will be sorry to see it ending...it's the only decent programme on at the moment.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is my favourite 'home grown' series atm. It has clearly learnt a lot from Scandi noir and avoids all the cliches one associates with UK detective drama. I like the way it captures the outsider aspect of the lead detective - estranged from his own family, living in a solitary caravan in the middle of the community and being an English speaker in the middle of a Welsh speaking community.

The plots capture the claustrophobia of living in small communities and the juxtaposition of gorgeous scenery and foul weather further amplifies the plot. Aberystwyth looks good, too.

I can only get it on on iplayer and have seen three episodes so far. Like the better European dramas it engages in a slow reveal so each episode informs us more about the main protagonist - it's fair to say that there isn't much backstory afforded to the other characters and this is a weakness.

Ratings-wise it has done better than expected and has already been sold overseas and a new series has been commissioned.
  • Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying it a lot, hope we get a second season..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can be seen on BBC1 Wales sky channel 952 tonight, first part 9pm then part two at 10.30. Or iplayer of course.

I missed it the first time around on S4C and the whole cast speaks welsh in that one, I hope they show it on BBC England in Welsh :)
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I'm really enjoying it. Ok it does feel like an homage to Wallander et al but the cast is excellent and it's beautifully shot.

Richard Harrington in particular is a revelation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hell of a strange episode last night, but I hope they do another series.