Options

Exercise/Swimming

LilNikki1987LilNikki1987 Posts: 261
Forum Member
Hi everybody, I'm just looking for a little advice regarding exercise/swimming please? :)

I have decided to get fitter/be healthier (I'm 5 ft 1 and about 8 stone 8 so want to feel a bit more in shape after the Christmas blowout) but haven't been swimming for over 6 months. I'm just wondering should I set myself a target of a set number of lengths/time limit for being in the pool or just swim til I'm tired?

I don't want to push myself too much as I haven't been in a while but I want to get started getting fit if that makes sense?

Any tips/pointers will be gratefully received :)

Nikki :)

Comments

• Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everybody, I'm just looking for a little advice regarding exercise/swimming please? :)

I have decided to get fitter/be healthier (I'm 5 ft 1 and about 8 stone 8 so want to feel a bit more in shape after the Christmas blowout) but haven't been swimming for over 6 months. I'm just wondering should I set myself a target of a set number of lengths/time limit for being in the pool or just swim til I'm tired?

I don't want to push myself too much as I haven't been in a while but I want to get started getting fit if that makes sense?

Any tips/pointers will be gratefully received :)

Nikki :)

My advice would be to NOT set a target when you first start.

When you first start take it easy as you will not be at peak fitness. Depending how often you go you will build up your stamina and be able to swim further and further. As an example when I started going swimming I started by doing 10 lengths. I built this up to 30 lengths over three weeks (use to go 3 or 4 times a week). 30 lengths of the pool I used was the equivalent of a kilometre.

Hope that helps
  • Options
    Forum Member

When you first start take it easy as you will not be at peak fitness. Depending how often you go you will build up your stamina and be able to swim further and further. As an example when I started going swimming I started by doing 10 lengths. I built this up to 30 lengths over three weeks (use to go 3 or 4 times a week). 30 lengths of the pool I used was the equivalent of a kilometre.

Hope that helps

Thank you this has really helped, I'm looking at going twice a week around my work schedule :-)
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hope that helps

I agree with building up as you get fitter.
    I did 8 lengths of a 25 metre pool the first time I swam for exercise last year and that was all I could do.
    Each time I went I did have it in my mind to do more each time, so I did.
    By the time I stopped swimming I could do 30 lengths without stopping.
    I just walk nowadays for exercise.
  • Options
    jpm1234jpm1234 Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    2 and a half years ago I thought I was having an Heart Attack - I was 18 stone and work pressures were enormous. I decided to do something about it. I started swimming - found a pool that opened before work and go 3 times a week. I also watched my food intake changing my lifestyle to less fats/sugars, less booze to more veg and eating fruits. I have lost over 4 stone gradually in weight and am able to keep it off. Last summer I took up cycling and cycle on the weekend and the days I don't swim. I always used the mantra of at least half an hour a day. You are doing really well, gradually build up your stamina and most importantly enjoy it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jpm1234 wrote: »
    2 and a half years ago I thought I was having an Heart Attack - I was 18 stone and work pressures were enormous. I decided to do something about it. I started swimming - found a pool that opened before work and go 3 times a week. I also watched my food intake changing my lifestyle to less fats/sugars, less booze to more veg and eating fruits. I have lost over 4 stone gradually in weight and am able to keep it off. Last summer I took up cycling and cycle on the weekend and the days I don't swim. I always used the mantra of at least half an hour a day. You are doing really well, gradually build up your stamina and most importantly enjoy it.

Well done :-) I need to make some tweaks to my food intake but I enjoy swimming so will be easier once I'm back into it :)