My welsh adventure griff jones

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
Forum Member
Well what a fab programme. Wales looks a beautiful country. Definitely a place to visit:)

Comments

• WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed, lovely place and Griff seems to just get on well with anyone at ease
  • greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having lived in Wales all my life I have to say sometimes we don't appreciate our own surroundings
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    strewth wrote: »
    Well what a fab programme. Wales looks a beautiful country. Definitely a place to visit:)

The pictures were OK but Griff Rhys Jones was hopeless, he just got very irritating.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    The pictures were OK but Griff Rhys Jones was hopeless, he just got very irritating.

Perhaps no surprise. I'm afraid the mere fact that he was associated with the programme meant I would never have watched it. He's one of those people that just makes me instantly change channel.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am really enjoying this programme. Wales is so lovely, reminds me a lot of Ireland. I don't mind Griff either to be honest :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps no surprise. I'm afraid the mere fact that he was associated with the programme meant I would never have watched it. He's one of those people that just makes me instantly change channel.

From what I remember he was reasonable on the BBC Restoration series some years and some of the Three Men in a Boat were not too bad but everything I have seen him do in recent year has been terrible.

BBC Wales did some equivalent programmes a few years ago and they were far better but had to watch on iPlayer. The best of all were ones they did on the work of the RCAHMW.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,904
    Forum Member
    Surely they can find someone else to make a programme like this?

TV is obsessed with making "middle-aged men" based 'journey' programmes.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really loved the series and I adore Griff's voice, I could listen to him for hours! I grew up in South West England but have lived in Wales for 14 years now and adore it. The scenery is even more spectacular than shown on the programme. The series is just a taster. You really need to come here to truly appreciate it. :-)
    Forum Member
    From what I remember he was reasonable on the BBC Restoration series some years and some of the Three Men in a Boat were not too bad but everything I have seen him do in recent year has been terrible.

BBC Wales did some equivalent programmes a few years ago and they were far better but had to watch on iPlayer. The best of all were ones they did on the work of the RCAHMW.

Yes, Restoration is the only thing I could watch with him in.

He did something else that sounded good on paper, going around England following the route of the Royal progress of a Tudor monarch (or something like that). In reality it was utterly horrid. He was chauffeured around in the back of a limo and it was all exceptionally dull. His cock-eyed face and annoying accent just turn me off.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand his voice and presentation style. You have to give him credit for conning the BBC with that restoration programme. He paid well over the odds for a dilapidated building that really should have been pulled down, then got the BBC to contribute towards its restoration by making one of the dullest programmes ever shown. On top of that he had the cheek to put in just an occasional appearance in between his BBC work elsewhere.

In Three Men In A Boat he was lucky to have been overshadowed by the extremely unpleasant Rory McGrath.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mother was Welsh and I have a lot of relations there, I have been all over the North and also the south valleys but have never been to the Brecons, they look beautiful and I must make a visit. My brother in law was in the American army and did a lot of his training there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I can't stand his voice and presentation style. You have to give him credit for conning the BBC with that restoration programme. He paid well over the odds for a dilapidated building that really should have been pulled down, then got the BBC to contribute towards its restoration by making one of the dullest programmes ever shown. On top of that he had the cheek to put in just an occasional appearance in between his BBC work elsewhere.

In Three Men In A Boat he was lucky to have been overshadowed by the extremely unpleasant Rory McGrath.

I was thinking of the previous Restoration series on BBC2 where different groups around the UK applied for a grant from the lottery people for a big project. I think it ran for a couple of years.

The farmhouse in Pembrokeshire(?) was later.
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »

Haha :D I loathe McGrath. He's another one that makes the TV go off.
    Forum Member
    I was thinking of the previous Restoration series on BBC2 where different groups around the UK applied for a grant from the lottery people for a big project. I think it ran for a couple of years.

The farmhouse in Pembrokeshire(?) was later.

Yes, the previous Restoration was different. A lovely house near me, Poltimore House, was featured one year. After all these years it's still derelict but they have now just started putting a new roof on it!

http://www.poltimore.org/

Unfortunately it's not being 'restored', only renovated. So it's getting a hideous new modern staircase amongst other things.

Some photos of its current state:

http://demolition-exeter.blogspot.fr/2011/09/open-day-at-poltimore-house-near-exeter_20.html
  • merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely to see Hay and Brecon on my tv. I grew up in Brecon and spent a lot of my teen years in Hay as my best mate lived there. Before it became the 'Book Town'.

It's a gorgeous area, I'm hoping I end up back that way in my later years.
  • robotrobot Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has been another beautifully filmed UK travel series. Perfect for the 8pm Monday slot.

The Northumberland series was equally well made.

These ITV programmes are so similar to many BBC4 shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    merlinsmum wrote: »
    Lovely to see Hay and Brecon on my tv. I grew up in Brecon and spent a lot of my teen years in Hay as my best mate lived there. Before it became the 'Book Town'.

It's a gorgeous area, I'm hoping I end up back that way in my later years.

Part of my family are from Breconshire, I visited the ruin of my Great Great Great Grandmother's farmhouse whilst down there last year, really nice spot with great view (i.e. probably draughty!). Also visited the grave of someone murdered by one of her relatives - rather notorious family with five hung and about ten transported!
  • Moody BlueMoody Blue Posts: 5,678
    Forum Member
    My German sister in law travels all over the world but Wales is her favorite country, especially the county of Pembrokeshire :)
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    It was a great series.
  • Pea1Pea1 Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    I was brought up on a farm in the Brecon Beacons, now live in England but go back regularly to visit Mam and the family. Every time I go home I have a lump in my throat with the sheer beauty of it all. i think I appreciate it more because I don't see it every day.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also love Pembrokeshire. I stayed on the Pencarnan Farm campsite and it is a beautiful walk in each direction. One day I walked all the way from there to St David's Head and perhaps rather foolishly, stood on a small rock ledge to cast a lure into the sea. It was probably just as well that nothing took it - immediately next to me was a plaque dedicated to the memory of someone who was washed off the rocks into the sea and drowned.