Jamaica Inn

ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,140
Forum Member
Really looking forward to this new series on next month starring Mathew McNulty as Jem, Jessica Brown Findlay as Mary Yellan and Ben Daniels as Francis Davey
Two actors from The Paradise and one from Downton Abbey...glad they are all finding work.;-);-).
Anyone else eagerly awaiting this new adaptation?

Comments

• Gill PGill P Posts: 21,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben Daniels is also in House of Cards on Netflix! He was one of the suggestions for Dr Who!
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I'm a huge Daphne Du Maurier fan, so I am so excited for this! Has an airdate been announced?
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,140
    Forum Member
    I'm a huge Daphne Du Maurier fan, so I am so excited for this! Has an airdate been announced?

Me too...really looking forward to it. I think it is being aired around Easter on BBC...
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds good. Wonder if they were able to get permission to film at the actual Inn
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to this as I love the book. The old Hitchcock film only really used the names and created a whole storyline of its own, so I hope this version is more faithful. There was a miniseries version in the 80s, I believe, with Jane Seymour and Vivian Pickles, but I haven't seen it so can't comment on its quality.
    Forum Member
    Sounds good. Wonder if they were able to get permission to film at the actual Inn

Not sure about that but apparently the Launceston scenes were filmed in Kirby Lonsdale and scenes have also been filmed in and around Belfast , as well as Cornwall...
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just seen the trailer for this - looks quite good!

The scenes set at Jamaica Inn were apparently filmed in Yorkshire, but there is just no way you could film at the real Jamaica Inn nowadays, realistically its just too busy, and you have the old A30 running on one side and the new A30 on the other - not very 1800s!

But they have filmed coastal / smuggling scenes scenes near Holywell Bay (near Newquay) - which is the area where I imagined the the scenes in the book taking place, and also on Bodmin Moor itself, including Rough Tor which is referenced in the book.
    Forum Member
    All you Daphne Du Maurier fans...don't forget Jamaica Inn starts tomorrow at 9 and from what I have read it looks to be a faithful adaptation of the book....really looking forward to it...
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread title reminds me of Most Haunted!
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    One of my favourite stories, whether by reading the book, listening to a radio version, watching a TV series or the old flm.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a big let down that is, it is now just a tatty tourist shop.
    Forum Member
    Someone new has just bought the real Jamaica Inn, he said he wants to make it great again, so let's hope he does.
  • TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone new has just bought the real Jamaica Inn, he said he wants to make it great again, so let's hope he does.

That would be great, visited several times over the years and it's never been great, the last time , couple yrs ago, it was awful, absolutely filthy >:(
  • furtivecatfurtivecat Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    I was looking forward to this at first but after seeing a few clips I think it looks a bit depressing.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    furtivecat wrote: »
    I was looking forward to this at first but after seeing a few clips I think it looks a bit depressing.

Well the book is dark and quite scary, but a thumping good read.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm excited about this starting tonight. It looks great from the trailers. I'm also happy its on over consecutive days :)

Here's hoping it's a new period drama can really love - I think North and South from years ago was last one I really loved, rather than just enjoyed.
    Forum Member
    It clashes with the Tommy Cooper drama, I wanted to see both. It'll have to be +1 for Tommy, then.
    Forum Member
    The novelist Sarah Dunant (who wrote the introduction to the Virago edition of Jamaica Inn) was full of praise for this last week on the radio, so my expectations are pretty high. Great to see more Du Maurier novels being adapted. Maybe they'll do My Cousin Rachel next.
    Forum Member
    The novelist Sarah Dunant (who wrote the introduction to the Virago edition of Jamaica Inn) was full of praise for this last week on the radio, so my expectations are pretty high. Great to see more Du Maurier novels being adapted. Maybe they'll do My Cousin Rachel next.

Or Rebecca. The version I always remember is Laurence Olivier as Max De Winter but I believe there have been some TV adaptations..
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my favourite stories, whether by reading the book, listening to a radio version, watching a TV series or the old flm.
    I just read a summary of the book - wow what a tale! I hope the TV series is as good as the book appears to be and the portrayal comes across accurately. :)
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    I've set the reminder. Is it a series though- I couldn't see how many weeks it was on for
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've set the reminder. Is it a series though- I couldn't see how many weeks it was on for

3 consecutive nights.
    Forum Member
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    Or Rebecca. The version I always remember is Laurence Olivier as Max De Winter but I believe there have been some TV adaptations..

There was an adaptation in the late 90s with Emilia Fox, Charles Dance and an excellent Diana Rigg as Mrs Danvers that was really enjoyable. I wouldn't mind seeing another version of Rebecca either.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they don't have really naff faux Cornish accents...
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    I hope they don't have really naff faux Cornish accents...

I think I'd prefer that to Jessica Brown Findlay playing Jessica Brown Findlay.
This discussion has been closed.