Louis van Gaal as manager of Manchester United

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
Forum Member
✭✭
Ryan Giggs as assistant.

A proven winner with a good ability at tactics and handling big egos. A bit different to Moyes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27243233

Is this Man Utd becoming a major force again?

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    Is this Man Utd becoming a major force again?

Almost certainly. Van Gaal is one of the most successful managers in football - arguably even moreso than Sir Alex as he's achieved his success across Europe with multiple clubs where Sir Alex has won all of his trophies with one club.

Obviously he's going to need time to settle in and assess the squad but I have no doubts United will become a force again under him - he's a proven winner at every level.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Almost certainly. Van Gaal is one of the most successful managers in football - arguably even moreso than Sir Alex as he's achieved his success across Europe with multiple clubs where Sir Alex has won all of his trophies with one club.

Obviously he's going to need time to settle in and assess the squad but I have no doubts United will become a force again under him - he's a proven winner at every level.

Not strictly true, he won trophies with Aberdeen as well.

As for Van Gaal, he can't do any worse than Moyes.
  • skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member

thats the main point.

At the moment im just happy we might look like we know what we are doing on the pitch once more. There were times last season it looked like they hadnt a clue how to organise or who to defend against.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fair play, I forgot about the trophies with Aberdeen - but then i'm not a United fan so that's my excuse :)

I suspect he'll most likely have some kind of top 4 clause in his contract at some point, but i think if the board give him at least a season, he'll certainly get them winning things again.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great manager and if given enough money to spend I can see them challenging for the title again.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair play, I forgot about the trophies with Aberdeen - but then i'm not a United fan so that's my excuse :)

I suspect he'll most likely have some kind of top 4 clause in his contract at some point, but i think if the board give him at least a season, he'll certainly get them winning things again.

Top 3 in effect. 4th is ours by rights.

But looking forward to the fireworks

http://youtu.be/VhERJW3ftkw
  • duffman25duffman25 Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very pleased with this the reight man for the job to make man unites world class again
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is Jose lite.

I give him 9 months.
  • Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    It's always easier to follow the man following the man. Although Moyes couldn't have made this saying anymore true.

He'll do a good job, will be interesting to see how he handles the Rooney/Van Persie captain situation and probably inevitable fallout from Rooney that will follow.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Poy wrote: »
    It's always easier to follow the man following the man. Although Moyes couldn't have made this saying anymore true.

He'll do a good job, will be interesting to see how he handles the Rooney/Van Persie captain situation and probably inevitable fallout from Rooney that will follow.

Captaining a cricket team is important; but a football team captain has little influence other than the authority to shout at colleagues. He has no strategical or tactical influence.
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    He is Jose lite.

I give him 9 months.

except he was winning champions leagues and titles before jose.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Captaining a cricket team is important; but a football team captain has little influence other than the authority to shout at colleagues. He has no strategical or tactical influence.

While true, Certain players do attach something to it. Not saying Rooney is that type of player but appointing a Capt does sometime require some handling more so when dealing with players who have been at the club for a number of years
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is Jose lite.

And there's the confirmation of what was heavily suspected.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    except he was winning champions leagues and titles before jose.

And he plays an attacking brand of football. Just like Mourinho.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,487
    Forum Member
    He is Jose lite.

I give him 9 months.

Other way around you might find. For arrogance and media tantrums Mourinho is definitely LVG lite.
    As we know from tournament after tournament, nobody does arrogance like the Dutch.
  • WouterWouter Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is Jose lite.

I give him 9 months.

I'd say Maureen's LVG lite, minus the attacking football...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he will be too prickly for United and sir bobby.

After all, is this why they didn't go for Jose in the first place?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, after having that meek 'yes man' Ferguson in charge for so long, it's odd that United have gone for someone who likes to do things his own way.
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,573
    Forum Member

Sir Bobby was proven wrong (sorta) in his veto of Mourinho months before Fergie ever announced his retired.

LVG will almost certainly have United on the front foot next, which isn't something that can be said of Moyes' reign.

This doesn't guarantee a top 4 spot, but at least United won't look so lethargic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, after having that meek 'yes man' Ferguson in charge for so long, it's odd that United have gone for someone who likes to do things his own way.

But united deliberately did not go for Jose for the above reasons.

I find it odd that they have gone back to an older, more cantankerous manager who will definitely rub players, media and fans up the wrong way sometimes.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    A competent manager. :eek:

Probably will paper over the cracks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But united deliberately did not go for Jose for the above reasons.

I find it odd that they have gone back to an older, more cantankerous manager who will definitely rub players, media and fans up the wrong way sometimes.

They 'deliberately did not go for Jose' because they specifically wanted Moyes.

Maybe they've learned that trying to appoint a 'long term' manager isn't going to work, so have appointed the outstanding candidate, this time.
    Forum Member

But you also said moyes was the right appointment so which is it?

1) you know nothing about managers

or

2) youre on wind up?
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,573
    Forum Member
    But you also said moyes was the right appointment so which is it?

1) you know nothing about managers

or

2) youre on wind up?

Why are the two mutually exclusive? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are the two mutually exclusive? :p

Indeed :)

Anyone with even a passing knowledge of football should know that Van Gaal is a winner and he has the domestic record to prove it. Just a bit miffed personally as he was angling for the Spurs job before United went and got rid of Moyes ..