Linux Help...

TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi I have a Netbook and I'm thinking of changing to Linux.

Mainly because I only have a Netbook and I only use it for web browsing and maybe burning some discs. I presume Linux will be lightening quick compared to Windows 8?

Where do I get the latest version from?

Can you still use MS Word or would you have to get something via Linux? Do all programs you can download from the web work with Linux too, i.e. anti virus, email apps.

Thanks

Comments

• 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful lot of questions to be answered there.

Going off youre questions its obvious youre a complete newbie to linux.

You would be better off posting in, or getting post moved to.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1482956&page=81
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Linux is a completely different operating system so nothing will work "out of the box" like MS word etc but there is normally a linux program that'll do 99% of whatever a windows program could do and if you know nothing about linux it may be better to setup a VM and have a play as if you muck things up you can easily start over

it probably won't be much faster than windows 8 but maybe you could up the performance with some more memory or a SSD
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would consider one thing, how good are you with computers. Because there's more people that can help you with Windows problem than with the Linux one. Often just googling will bring the answer. With Linux it might be more tricky.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,411
    Forum Member
    TheVoid wrote: »
    Hi I have a Netbook and I'm thinking of changing to Linux.

Mainly because I only have a Netbook and I only use it for web browsing and maybe burning some discs. I presume Linux will be lightening quick compared to Windows 8?

Where do I get the latest version from?

Can you still use MS Word or would you have to get something via Linux? Do all programs you can download from the web work with Linux too, i.e. anti virus, email apps.

Thanks

I'd suggest having a look through this other, shorter thread here http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1942343&highlight= which will provide some relevant reading and the good news is that you won't be needing any antivirus or anti-malware software

Linux is a cover all term and there are, in effect, hundreds of different varieties of Linux operating systems on offer as you can see here http://distrowatch.com/. For the most part, Linux equivalents to Windows software are available and you can sometimes even run Windows programmes under Linux but it doesn't work every time. For word processing, etc, the free Libre Office comes as standard with many Linux operating systems ("distributions" or "distros") and l've been impressed with FreeOffice.

ln the long term, what you can do is replace Windows on your netbook or run Linux and Windows side by side in a dual boot system (see http://searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/definition/dual-boot). As you've got a netbook, my suggestions for Linux distributions to try out are LXLE, Zorin Lite and Linux Lite which shouldn't be too taxing on a netbook's resources. Details of how to try out Linux distributions before installing them can be found here http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=72555734&postcount=462. Linux is entirely free although you're free to make voluntary contributions too.

Hope that helps. :)
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need anti virus software for linux. :p

Look at Ubuntu, Mint and OpenSuse. All easy for a beginner. Be aware though that sometimes not everything will work correctly, you might need to do a bit of tweaking. Wireless is normally one of the issues.

There's normally plenty of help though if you're stuck.

You might not want to use Gnome or KDE as your desktop environment. Personally I like Cinammon, but XFCE and LXDE are good as they are lightweight. Probably gone over your head but you can install what you want. Lots to choose from. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't need anti virus software for linux. :p

not generally but its good so you don't pass on something by accident :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    not generally but its good so you don't pass on something by accident :)

I doubt I would pass anything on. Used Linux since the late 90s, never passed on a virus. ;-)
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the OP could try some Linux variants with 'Linux on a pen drive'. Works like an install, just a bit slower (and leaves your HDD untouched !). I'm not a Linux user, but AFAIK PenDriveLinux does the trick (and you can save user files/config etc on the flash drive). Test drive a few and check if drivers are available before taking the plunge.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

edit - if the OP's netbook has an optical drive, can do the above with a Linux live cd. Difference is that with a pen drive, you can save stuff.
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble with linux is that there are so many distros, each with its own band of devotees, that a question like this will always result in contradictory advice.

So, a purely personal experience...
    I've been playing around with various linux distros for years and none has ever lasted more than a few weeks. Usually, these were intended to give some life back to old kit that was struggling with Windows. This is, of course, a very unfair test: you're trying out an unfamiliar system on hardware that is already failing to some extent. You will also be advised to try out distros installed on 'live' DVDs or USB sticks. While these do work, they are often horribly slow and don't really provide a full experience of the operating system. It's difficult to be enthused by a distro on a live CD, easy to be put off.

Anyway, I came across a linux distro called Zorin OS. Like a number of others, this is based on Ubuntu but has been 'skinned' to provide an easy transition for people migrating from Windows. It can be made to look - superficially, it must be said, like XP or Windows 7. As a distro it provides pretty much everything needed for the user who needs a light-duty browsing/email device. Libre Office, Thunderbird, Chrome and VLC are pre-installed. I installed it on an 8-year-old Toshiba laptop and everything worked immediately, including wireless.

I added a couple of things - MPlayer lets the old lappy play 720p and 1080p videos more happily than VLC, and Kingsoft Office provides a better (in my opinion) office solution than Libre Office. I'm now investigating Scribus as a alternative to Microsoft Publisher. The important thing is that the laptop is now a delight to use - it's quick and responsive and everything just works as it should. Oops, one exception: I've got my Brother laser printer to work with it, but have not so far succeeded with my Canon all-in-one. Don't, by the way, have unrealistic expectations of your netbook: if it's a little atom-based device, installing linux will not transform it into a power machine.

One last point: linux enthusiasts have a slightly different mentality from Windows users. Many of them are quite prepared to dump their OS every year or so and do a complete reinstall with the latest version. Many linux distros - including Zorin OS - are available in what is called an LTS (long term support) version and also in yearly cutting-edge development versions. If you don't want to start again each year when a new version comes out, be sure to install the LTS version of the OS (in the case of Zorin, that's version 6).
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    fenlander wrote: »
    The trouble with linux is that there are so many distros, each with its own band of devotees, that a question like this will always result in contradictory advice.

So, a purely personal experience...
    I've been playing around with various linux distros for years and none has ever lasted more than a few weeks. Usually, these were intended to give some life back to old kit that was struggling with Windows. This is, of course, a very unfair test: you're trying out an unfamiliar system on hardware that is already failing to some extent. You will also be advised to try out distros installed on 'live' DVDs or USB sticks. While these do work, they are often horribly slow and don't really provide a full experience of the operating system. It's difficult to be enthused by a distro on a live CD, easy to be put off.

Anyway, I came across a linux distro called Zorin OS. Like a number of others, this is based on Ubuntu but has been 'skinned' to provide an easy transition for people migrating from Windows. It can be made to look - superficially, it must be said, like XP or Windows 7. As a distro it provides pretty much everything needed for the user who needs a light-duty browsing/email device. Libre Office, Thunderbird, Chrome and VLC are pre-installed. I installed it on an 8-year-old Toshiba laptop and everything worked immediately, including wireless.

I added a couple of things - MPlayer lets the old lappy play 720p and 1080p videos more happily than VLC, and Kingsoft Office provides a better (in my opinion) office solution than Libre Office. I'm now investigating Scribus as a alternative to Microsoft Publisher. The important thing is that the laptop is now a delight to use - it's quick and responsive and everything just works as it should. Oops, one exception: I've got my Brother laser printer to work with it, but have not so far succeeded with my Canon all-in-one. Don't, by the way, have unrealistic expectations of your netbook: if it's a little atom-based device, installing linux will not transform it into a power machine.

One last point: linux enthusiasts have a slightly different mentality from Windows users. Many of them are quite prepared to dump their OS every year or so and do a complete reinstall with the latest version. Many linux distros - including Zorin OS - are available in what is called an LTS (long term support) version and also in yearly cutting-edge development versions. If you don't want to start again each year when a new version comes out, be sure to install the LTS version of the OS (in the case of Zorin, that's version 6).

Very helpful advice. I usually cringe when a newbie asks about Linux and they immediately get bombarded by a dozen different versions and desktops to choose from. The Linux enthusiasts are often they own worst enemies when it comes to encouraging newbies and giving advice - especially when they themselves can't find a distro which keeps them satisfied for more than a few months at a time.

A Live CD does have a very useful role, though. Yes, it's slow, but it does give the user a chance to see if the version will actually work without too much tinkering and whether they actually like the look and feel of it.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I've been faffing around with Linux on my old XP laptop and let me say it's a bit of a pain to get it working, even for a computer nerd like me :p I tried a couple of live CDs and they worked fine but I tried to install a distro (Puppy Linux) from the live CD and it wouldn't work. I asked a Linux user I know and he installed openSUSE 13.1 (the one I had the wifi problems with back in April) on the laptop. It worked ok until I opened a web browser. Trying to get Youtube playing on that distro was a nightmare and I also tried Chrome and Opera and websites looked as though they were being displayed on Windows 1.0 from 1985 :D Seriously, it s a nightmare! It takes a lot of faffing around, trying about 20 different distros and shouting obscenities at the computer to even attempt to get something to work :pYou nearly have to recompile the kernel everytime you want to install a program!
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been faffing around with Linux on my old XP laptop and let me say it's a bit of a pain to get it working, even for a computer nerd like me :p I tried a couple of live CDs and they worked fine but I tried to install a distro (Puppy Linux) from the live CD and it wouldn't work. I asked a Linux user I know and he installed openSUSE 13.1 (the one I had the wifi problems with back in April) on the laptop. It worked ok until I opened a web browser. Trying to get Youtube playing on that distro was a nightmare and I also tried Chrome and Opera and websites looked as though they were being displayed on Windows 1.0 from 1985 :D Seriously, it s a nightmare! It takes a lot of faffing around, trying about 20 different distros and shouting obscenities at the computer to even attempt to get something to work :pYou nearly have to recompile the kernel everytime you want to install a program!

Flash on Linux has gone back to being a problem again, I find.
    It always used to be a problem, then it worked fine for a few years, now it's a pain again.
    On Chrome/Chromium anyway; haven't tried Firefox for a while.

Installing programs is a breeze though. You generally just go to the Software Centre (or equivalent) and click 'Install'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    On Chrome for Linux (can't speak for Chromium), Google has taken control of Flash with its Pepper plugin. This is imho much better and I haven't had any issues with Flash at all for quite some time. The only time you are going to have problems with Flash these days on Linux is when you use Firefox (they are still developing their Shumway Flash replacement technology) or you have quite a low spec machine.

Not used Puppy for some time, but I never found it the most user friendly when I did. Is there a reason why you chose Puppy, such as a low spec? If not, I'd go the Mint/Ubuntu route. There are very good reasons why those are the most popular Linux OS's.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »
    On Chrome for Linux (can't speak for Chromium), Google has taken control of Flash with its Pepper plugin. This is imho much better and I haven't had any issues with Flash at all for quite some time. The only time you are going to have problems with Flash these days on Linux is when you use Firefox (they are still developing their Shumway Flash replacement technology) or you have quite a low spec machine.

Yes, it may not be Flash itself that's the problem, but more to do with DRMs.
    For instance I now find that Demand 5 doesn't work on Linux.
    Bit like the situation a few years ago when iplayer was a problem.

As you say Pepper Flash in Chrome works for most things, but Chromium often now ships without it, so you've either got to find out how to install the Pepper Flash plugin to that, or install Chrome from the Chrome website.
    Not difficult, but takes away from the simplicity of the 'Software Centre'.

Anyway, as far as advice to the OP goes.
    First find out a bit about the spec of your netbook, to see if it needs a lightweight desktop environment, or is better specced and therefore capable of running anything.

Then just plump for one of the well supported distributions. Doesn't matter which really, as they all work in a similar way. Just do a search for Mint, Ubuntu, Zorin, LXLE etc to see what you like the look of.
    Forum Member
    emptybox wrote: »
    Flash on Linux has gone back to being a problem again, I find.
    It always used to be a problem, then it worked fine for a few years, now it's a pain again.
    On Chrome/Chromium anyway; haven't tried Firefox for a while.

Installing programs is a breeze though. You generally just go to the Software Centre (or equivalent) and click 'Install'.

I tried Firefox and all websites looked ok til I tried Youtube. The video played but the graphics were absolutely awful! Then I tried Chromium (I think) and all websites looked as though they were being displayed on Windows 1.0 :D Had the same problem with Opera. Flash and Youtube wouldn't work at all on those browsers. I think most distros have a Software Centre but I was trying to install WINE for emulating Windows programs to see how it worked. I thought it would be a case of downloading and installing it like on Mac or Windows, but boy was I wrong! :p I nearly had to learn programming and recompile the kernel. And what on earth is the GRUB Manager required for booting Linux on a PC? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're better off installing Linux on a Dell or Thinkpad laptop. I find them to be more compatible. You don't have to recompile the kernel to install a program, you're exaggerating. It's not that bad. :D Zypper install....how much easier can that be? Assumming the programs are in the repository, or you've added some repositories so you have a wide selection of software.
    Forum Member
    ...You don't have to recompile the kernel to install a program, you're exaggerating. It's not that bad. :D

:D Funny how people still enjoy perpetuating that myth. Always raises a chuckle!

Or, you know, a full on flame war!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »
    :D Funny how people still enjoy perpetuating that myth. Always raises a chuckle!

Or, you know, a full on flame war!

I can remember a few times when i was messing with the pingu in the late 1990's that sometimes i'd not hit the right choice when compiling my kernel hoping to save some memory or save bootup time etc and then find something complained that something wasn't available but these days i've found virtually no reason in the last 5 years or so to even install the kernel source files as it makes no discernible difference now
    Forum Member
    You're better off installing Linux on a Dell or Thinkpad laptop. I find them to be more compatible. You don't have to recompile the kernel to install a program, you're exaggerating. It's not that bad. :D Zypper install....how much easier can that be? Assumming the programs are in the repository, or you've added some repositories so you have a wide selection of software.

I don't have a Dell or Thinkpad laptop. The old XP laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook (business range) from late 2004. The Linux user I know has a laptop from the same era (2004/2005) and it worked fine on his. He's using Linux Mint. Haha I know that, but I guess I was exaggerating for comic effect :D My dad's also very cynical about Linux so that doesn't help. He thinks it's an OS for geeks and those who prefer to waste time trying to get their computers to work than actually doing some work on it. All he's ever used is Windows :p
  • henm2henm2 Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I can confirm that the following Linux distros work well on a netbook
    LXLE 12.04.4 (not the 14.04 version as this will not work on a netbook)
    Also Linux Mint 17 xfce will work well
    http://lxle.net/articles/?post=lxle-releases-1404-64bit-12044-32bit-revisited
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried Firefox and all websites looked ok til I tried Youtube. The video played but the graphics were absolutely awful! Then I tried Chromium (I think) and all websites looked as though they were being displayed on Windows 1.0 :D Had the same problem with Opera. Flash and Youtube wouldn't work at all on those browsers. I think most distros have a Software Centre but I was trying to install WINE for emulating Windows programs to see how it worked. I thought it would be a case of downloading and installing it like on Mac or Windows, but boy was I wrong! :p I nearly had to learn programming and recompile the kernel. And what on earth is the GRUB Manager required for booting Linux on a PC? :confused:
    I don't have a Dell or Thinkpad laptop. The old XP laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook (business range) from late 2004. The Linux user I know has a laptop from the same era (2004/2005) and it worked fine on his. He's using Linux Mint. Haha I know that, but I guess I was exaggerating for comic effect :D My dad's also very cynical about Linux so that doesn't help. He thinks it's an OS for geeks and those who prefer to waste time trying to get their computers to work than actually doing some work on it. All he's ever used is Windows :p

You really need to do some reasearch before you go posting info like that.

Firstly you just need to download Wine from the software ctr, dead easy to do!
    Secondly Suse is not the most newbie user friendly.
    Also you can install virtual box straight from the software ctr for playing windows on.
    Do you get pleasure from posting wrong info?
    I know from youre past posts, what youre reaction would be if i was to say '' Vista was a good OS' as is Win8.1''
    Re youre shock horror question about Grub.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_GRUB

Yes i did see youre
    ''He's using Linux Mint. Haha I know that, but I guess I was exaggerating for comic effect '' sentence, but bit late to be back tracking.

Bet the OP has done a runner by now with a bad head.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, I never knew about the Flash stuff. I knew it's been dodgy now and then but I've never had any problems with it sound/graphics wise, my only problem on YouTube with FireFox is the volume button (I mean the volume control on the flash player underneath the video) has a delayed reaction for some reason, only slight so it's a little annoying but not annoying enough for me to mess about with.

I've used Linux off and on with different distros for years, I started with Mandrake which was ermm, ok at the time I guess. I've never been a complete 1 OS person though, this comp I'm on now I dual boot between Win7 and Ubuntu on seperate drives, I like and enjoy both even though they practically do the same for what I want, it's just nice to have different flavours. I use my Linux drive for fun and experimentation (I also prefer the office stuff on there), if I foul up then it's no big deal, but then I also use it to do normal daily PC things as well. My old netbook is on XP so I'm looking to change that to Linux and hopefully squeeze some more time out of it.

My only problem with Linux is trying to remember terminal commands and flags. That does drive me up the wall now and then, but it's only because I have a bad memory. :p Despite all the years I still wouldn't call myself accomplished, but learning it is part of the fun for me.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My only issue with linux is no AMD drivers so it looks a mess on my tv lol also get no sound on tv either which i've gotten around by simply connecting a soundbar to the pc.
    Also plex wont read media drives either.
    Other than that linux is a great option as a back up os until they sort out AMD then i'll be using it as my main os.
    Forum Member
    c0lefax wrote: »
    My only problem with Linux is trying to remember terminal commands and flags. That does drive me up the wall now and then, but it's only because I have a bad memory. :pDespite all the years I still wouldn't call myself accomplished, but learning it is part of the fun for me.

Yeah same here. I wouldn't call myself anything like proficient with Linux, but I can get it to do what I want for the most part, and I enjoy learning the stuff I don't. Been playing a lot recently with the Retropie distro (I guess you could call it a distro) for the Raspberry Pi, and that has been a lot of fun, just trying to learn how it works and get it to play nicely. It can be rewarding in and of itself just getting it going. :)