Options

Has Salmond won the referendum tonight?

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I'd like to think the decision over the future of the nation will be based on bigger issues than whether someone stutters or not.
    Oh I agree the stuttering issue isn't exactly what will be uppermost in Scottish people's minds. What interests me about this though is if Darling couldn't get through either of the live debates we've had so far without stuttering over his words then the question has to be asked whether he really was the best candidate to lead the 'Better Together' campaign. Could they really have not found a better performer from their side who could've at least matched Salmond for being confident in live debates?
    Like you say though, someone's debating skills isn't the most important issue right now but I just would've expected a more confident performance from Darling.
    There's no doubt that if it was a boxing match then the No side would have thrown in the towel before the end but that doesn't mean that it will have much impact on the polls. Salmond may have convinced some people but he may also have put others off with his performance. Do they want someone so hot headed negotiating for Scotland? Some would say yes, some would say no. It's just a matter of which group is bigger.
    I agree with this also. At best Salmond marginally benefited the 'Yes' vote last night just as Darling marginally benefited the 'no' vote after the previous debate. For years I thought Salmond was almost universally popular in Scotland and maybe he was but now I feel he divides as many people there as he does in rUK.
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    The Turk wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been mentioned. Darling seemed to stutter a lot during this debate. I didn't see the first debate as it was only shown in Scotland and I don't live there but apparently he got the better of Salmond in that debate but last night Salmond seemed better. For those of you who saw the first debate, did Darling stutter as much then as he did last night?

Salmond pulled the rug out from under him by having something to say about currency, you could see the shock on his face. So it meant his major argument he had prepared was undermined by salmond. Darling wasnt even clever enough to change his arguments when it came to the section where they had to ask each other questions bringing it up again thinking it would be a weak point and losing the crowd completely. Wasted his time thoroughly having nothing to fall back on and killing time repeating the same questions which had been effectively answered leading to him being dominated in that section due to having nothing else to ask
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will make no difference at all. Better Together has done enough. The figures will be 54 to 46. The nasty yes campaign has lost.
  • Options
    Scott ChegScott Cheg Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    I'm not so sure... I think the yes campaign will steal this and it'll be a huge 'upset' for folk waking up on the 19th...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    reglip wrote: »
    Salmond pulled the rug out from under him by having something to say about currency, you could see the shock on his face. So it meant his major argument he had prepared was undermined by salmond. Darling wasnt even clever enough to change his arguments when it came to the section where they had to ask each other questions bringing it up again thinking it would be a weak point and losing the crowd completely. Wasted his time thoroughly having nothing to fall back on and killing time repeating the same questions which had been effectively answered leading to him being dominated in that section due to having nothing else to ask
    Yep. I agree with every word of that. Darling thought he could play the same trick twice with the same results. You've raised another interesting question though. Why did it not occur to Darling that someone as clever as Salmond might actually have thought long and hard how to answer the currency issue for the 2nd debate?
  • Options
    Angels_babyAngels_baby Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    Exactly, the rUK subsidises Scotland hand over fist and Scotland uses it for benefits such as Tutition Fees and Healthcare which the rUK doesnt get

Scotland leaving would leave the rUK a lot better off

Yawn....that old chestnut again. Don't believe the hype.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Turk wrote: »
    Yep. I agree with every word of that. Darling thought he could play the same trick twice with the same results. You've raised another interesting question though. Why did it not occur to Darling that someone as clever as Salmond might actually have thought long and hard how to answer the currency issue for the 2nd debate?

That's true and Salmond gave Darling the slip with his "three buses" but maybe it's an answer that he should have had in the first debate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do not. lol :D how can a country of 5 million support a rUK of 58 million?

Don't you realise how stupid it looks even suggesting it is all down to Scotland. Its cheaper to import oil than it is pumping it up from our own shores.

If independence comes you are in for a sharp shock of reality.

As are you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotland doesn't pay in more than it pays out, it runs a deficit.

Really? Where are the figures?
  • Options
    Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any polling for the state of play after this good performance for Salmond? I mean for voting intentions in the referendum, not who won the debate. Any sign of progress for the "yes" camp?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    I have to agree with this. In the event of a yes vote there is going to be loads of uncertainty over all sort of things. Its pretty obvious that the average scot will be financially worse off at least in the short term. Its certainly possible to create a successful independent Scotland, but there will be a difficult period of adjustment to achieve it.

Personally i would be sad if Scotland left the UK and if i was a scot i would vote no. But the yes campaign seems so bitter and nasty part of me really want the yes vote to win so they can find its not all haggis and rainbows on the other side.

Is that why it is the No campaign that is known as Project Fear?
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    I doubt Salmond's buses bluster on the currency will have convinced anyone who wasn't going to vote Yes anyway. More major Scottish businesses to come out against Independence tomorrow. In the end Salmond's deception and dishonesty on the economy will sink the Yes side in the referendum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott Cheg wrote: »
    This IS an SNP thing, regardless of what is being said. And when it goes tits up, it doesn't matter who is voted in, it'll be irrevocable and no matter of picking up the pieces will get Scotland on a level footing with what's left of the UK.

Left to look over the border and think 'that used to be us' as you pay higher taxes and realise that free prescriptions, free universities and so much more, are not a god given right.

Enjoy :-)

As has been pointed out before Scotland has on got a population of 5 million hardly put them on a level footing. Much better to balance the books and remain stable than gamble away the family silver.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's not about Salmond then why is he just about the only face you see from the Yes side? He could easily have said that he has a government to run and left the nationalist campaign be led by a cross-party figure (if such a person exists)

Apparently, Salmond isn't the leader of Yes Scotland but you would never guess it. Apart from his diminutive deputy, I couldn't name anyone else involved.

Then you haven't looked very hard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's true and Salmond gave Darling the slip with his "three buses" but maybe it's an answer that he should have had in the first debate.
    Equally valid point. Salmond must've known he'd be asked about the currency in the 1st debate too so I was surprised he couldn't answer it at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Haha, most Scots living in Scotland cannot name more than 4 Scottish MPs. They talk about what an education this has been etc. but actually they have very little idea of how this country runs.

How can you prove that have you conducted some sort of straw poll?

Just to be clear are you talking about 4 Scottish MPs like Angus Robertson, Douglas Alexander, Jo Swinson and David Mundell or 4 Scottish MSPs such as Alex Salmond, Patrick Harvie, Ruth Davidson or Johanna Lamont?
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    Actually if you look at the polls, the place where Scottish independence is most popular is England.

Really? I've spoke to few folk in Bognor Regis and they'd think it'd be nice and would like us to stay together, but think it'll be a good opportunity for us to leave, any link to these polls? Sure it's not a case of more people in England being asked that question?
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can you prove that have you conducted some sort of straw poll?

Just to be clear are you talking about 4 Scottish MPs like Angus Robertson, Douglas Alexander, Jo Swinson and David Mundell or 4 Scottish MSPs such as Alex Salmond, Patrick Harvie, Ruth Davidson or Johanna Lamont?

Google is your friend.,:D perhaps you do, you clearly are involved and are interested.
    Many people I speak to who are very excited about this vote , when tackled about Scottish politics have not a clue and moreover are not really interested. The depth of ignorance is depressing. On both sides I might add.
  • Options
    RodneyRodney Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally watched the debate tonight (recorded it on Monday) and have to say that I thought Salmond came over really well. He used the clever technique of moving away from the podium every time he answered a question from the audience and trying to connect directly to the public in the hall. Darling just stood behind the podium as if he was hiding for dear life! The only letdown was the so-called "self-questioning" session that degenerated into a bit of a slanging match, but that could happen with any political debate, and I blame the BBC for letting it happen instead of running a proper structured debate. The next few weeks will be very interesting indeed.