Critic slams EastEnders over 'sick love triangle'

Comments

• Official DivaOfficial Diva Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    Oh I see. But you seem to have forgot Steven. :) He was born 1989 and Ian was his dad until he first left in 2002.

But your right though. There is no way Ian would have ever been this sort of character. It would never have worked and would have been purely for sensationalism.
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,211
    Forum Member
    It is a sick storyline, but it happens in real life, and I think some people need to wake up and realsise that. and what the hell, Ian being a pedo? are they thick? He loves his kids, he would never be able to do something like that, and most, if not all EE Fans would never fall for that, the same goes for Charlie. This women talks ball.

EE are doing this storyline brilliantly, and showing what happens ect. IMO, it's very realstic, and deserves prasie, not critism. This storyline could save and help millions of kids Whitney's age.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I see. But you seem to have forgot Steven. :) He was born 1989 and Ian was his dad until he first left in 2002.

But your right though. There is no way Ian would have ever been this sort of character. It would never have worked and would have been purely for sensationalism.

Oh yeah forgot about him lol Pycho Steven :)
  • ebjeebeebjeebe Posts: 7,810
    Forum Member
    If we must be subjected to this sleaze fest - God it makes me feel uncomfortable - let's just hope it is doing a hell of a lot worse to the Paedophiles out there. I hope they are sitting there shifting in their seats wondering if today is the day their victim is going to tell.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I think Jim Shelley does have a point.

I'm bored with the storyline already, the character is charmless, with no redeeming features, he's a comedy villain.
    Ignore the Whitney storyline, he's Keith Miller, but without a personality or apparently any interest in the kids.
    'Tone, tell them' then he just repeats whatever Bianca has just said.
    What else does he do.
    If he packed a bag tomorrow and walked off the square would anyone miss him as a character if it wasn't for the Whitney storyline?

I've said it before, Whitney seems so clued up, but I've yet to see anything that would make me think she'd fall for his transparent nonsense.

The Charlie or Ian or at least someone with some redeeming features, someone the viewers had some investment in storyline would be more shocking and probably closer to reality, someone you'd least expect as they seem so ordinary.
    Forum Member
    The Charlie or Ian or at least someone with some redeeming features, someone the viewers had some investment in storyline would be more shocking and probably closer to reality, someone you'd least expect as they seem so ordinary.

But Ian and Charlie are not pedophiles. So for a start it would never have worked. Personality changes would have been in order and viewers wouldn't have bought it. It's like Corrie making Ken Barlow one.

Tony hasn't even started yet and now he has set his slights on Lauren who is 14, things are going to get very uncomfortabale. And I'd rather take the word of the NSPCC rather than that of some biased critic from a rag which isn't even the biggest selling in England. They say the storyline is right and what do they know, they only deal with this sort of thing daily.

So they obviously know more than the average Joe on here who seem to think they do when they don't ;)

And we don't even know what's coming up yet. We know Tony is going after Lauren. So that should drum it home to the idiots who think child abuse is ok if the persons involve like it :rolleyes: and Tony is about to start work at the community centre with kids. So is going to be a pillar of the community soon......
  • shaneyshaneyshaneyshaney Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with some of the points. I said months ago that this storyline was a cop out by doing it with 2 new characters and the fact that Shona is almost 17 in real life.

Tony is'nt a nice, pleasent or likeable character to anyone but blinded Bianca and the kids. He looks like the sort of sleazey, lazy scruffbag who has just walked out of prison...........which he has. It would have been much better to show that this sort of thing go's on with people who are well liked, and respected "pillars" of the community in stable normal friendly families................and not Bianca's, the council house queen.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    WE HAVEN'T THOUGH!!!! For the very fact that the beale kids are not even 15 yet - let alone 20 odd!!! For critics who think they are ALWAYS right they sure don't know their facts

Steven's 18, so not that far off.
  • SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    It's a really good storyline. It's not real. How can Eastenders have interesting storylines if people just complain about them all the time? I am not sure what on earth they can do.

This story is the best they've had in a while.
    It's no more sinister than the Stella/Ben plot.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    But Ian and Charlie are not pedophiles. So for a start it would never have worked. Personality changes would have been in order and viewers wouldn't have bought it. It's like Corrie making Ken Barlow one.

Tony hasn't even started yet and now he has set his slights on Lauren who is 14, things are going to get very uncomfortabale. And I'd rather take the word of the NSPCC rather than that of some biased critic from a rag which isn't even the biggest selling in England. They say the storyline is right and what do they know, they only deal with this sort of thing daily.

So they obviously know more than the average Joe on here who seem to think they do when they don't ;)

And we don't even know what's coming up yet. We know Tony is going after Lauren. So that should drum it home to the idiots who think child abuse is ok if the persons involve like it :rolleyes: and Tony is about to start work at the community centre with kids. So is going to be a pillar of the community soon......

You seem to have a problem reading what's written and understanding it.

The point both I and Jim Shelly have made is about the character.
    We have no investment in him and frankly if he buggered off tomorrow he wouldn't be missed, one dimensional, comedy villain.
    Read what I've written and respond to that.

Oh since when does the sales of a paper make it or the people who work for it good/bad critics?
    Forum Member
    You seem to have a problem reading what's written and understanding it.

The point both I and Jim Shelly have made is about the character.
    We have no investment in him and frankly if he buggered off tomorrow he wouldn't be missed, one dimensional, comedy villain.
    Read what I've written and respond to that.

Oh since when does the sales of a paper make it or the people who work for it good/bad critics?

I understand perfectly what's written. Jim made no point, instead he claimed EE would have used Ian in their hayday, yet they would never have used Ian. Likewise with Charlie. Any EE fan can tell you that. As they have done in this thread.

So I have written and responded to that.

And I can pass judgement on the paper if I so wish. Jim Shelley slates every major storyline EastEnders does. I think he has praised it once in five years. Just to say Lacey Turner is the best actress on TV.
  • nytramfilmsnytramfilms Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Excellent article and sums up ee perfectly.
    Forum Member

In what way?

Care to expand your thoughts into detail for us all to see?
    Forum Member

If it was about a gay male character you wouldn't of said that :D
  • mrellis33mrellis33 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what a stupidly written article. Soap Opera aren't documentaries, theres an aspect of realism but never much (a flipping plane wiped out half of the emmerdale cast for gods sake). I think the journalist has a undying love for Corrie and hates Eastenders for some reason.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. No real EE fan would ever have brought Ian Beale doing it and Julia Smith would never have allowed it. It would have been a total character change. Same goes for Charlie.

Anyone who says otherwise or agrees does not know EastEnders at all.

That comment alone shows how out of touch the article is to be honest.
    Good post.

The days of worthwhile (TV) reviews in British newspapers are long gone.
  • Rugby manRugby man Posts: 10,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, if he/she don't like it, watch it.
  • Rugby manRugby man Posts: 10,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wait, let me try that again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've said it before, Whitney seems so clued up, but I've yet to see anything that would make me think she'd fall for his transparent nonsense.

I think you have just wrote a pile of nonsense, he absuing her mentally and emotionally. She beleives she is in love and who doesnt at that age, he is abusing his authority as she looks upto him and he is meant to look after her the way any step parent would.

It is a similar situation to any couple, the wife things she is madly in love whilst the husband is a controlling and manipulating man, who knocks their confidence over and over again til the point the wife beleives no one else would ever like he does, they pick away at you untill you become entirley dependant on them - that equates to abuse.

This happens in relationships with people over 30 and who are very knowledgable and proffesional so to say at 15 whitney seems clued up is nonsense, she is suffering mental, physical and emotional abuse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whitney puts on a tough front and outwardly appear very worldly wise but underneath she is very vulnerable and Tony can see that and he plays on it. He has known her since she was 12 so he knows just how to manipulate her.
    Forum Member
    milosimab wrote: »
    Whitney puts on a tough front and outwardly appear very worldly wise but underneath she is very vulnerable and Tony can see that and he plays on it. He has known her since she was 12 so he knows just how to manipulate her.

Exaclty, Whitney in some ways is very mature for her age, but like you said, underneath it all she is very vulnerable. I feel so sorry for her, Tony is so evil.
  • DARCYFDARCYF Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is a subject that should be and needs to be tackled in a serious manner where, as other posters have said, the offender is not the usual dirty-old-man type. However, I would have questioned the sudden dropping of Whitney, especially in light of fact that he had just thumped Peter in a manner that was not cold blooded, for Lauren who I don't think looks that young - if you consider he first started grooming Whitney at age 12. I personally would have thought that he would have swapped from Whitney to Tiffany. Yes, Tiffany at five is considerably younger but would this storyline necessarily need to have a short timespan - if they do want to be realistic?
  • girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Jim Shelley does have a point.
    I'm bored with the storyline already, the character is charmless, with no redeeming features, he's a comedy villain.
    Ignore the Whitney storyline, he's Keith Miller, but without a personality or apparently any interest in the kids.
    'Tone, tell them' then he just repeats whatever Bianca has just said.
    What else does he do.
    If he packed a bag tomorrow and walked off the square would anyone miss him as a character if it wasn't for the Whitney story line?

I agree with this, I am bored with the story line already.
  • LarocLaroc Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people have suggested that giving the storyline to two new characters like Whitney and Bianca's boyfriend Tony was a cop-out and that, in its heyday, East- Enders would have bravely given it to a cast member such as Ian Beale.

The fact that we've spent 20-odd years watching Ian Beale raise his kids without the slightest glimmer of anything suspect seems to have escaped them.

He is critiscising the people (and I have read people suggesting Ian on this forum) who suggest Ian would've have been a better choice. He's not saying that it should have been Ian.

I agree with most of his points. The gun and the Gold is bad.
  • Dakota.Dakota. Posts: 10,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clearly, Jim is an ITV fan. I'm sorry, just how many awards did both ITV soaps win put together at the Inside Soap awards?