Options

Record labels faking Youtube video views

KissesDontLieKissesDontLie Posts: 450
Forum Member
Major recording companies have lost more than two billion video views on YouTube after the video sharing website cracked down on alleged fake views.

The biggest hit was taken by Universal, home of Rihanna, Nicki Minaj and Justin Bieber, which lost more than one billion views from its total of seven billion.

Sony was second hardest hit, with the label behind such stars as Alicia Keys, Rita Ora and Labrinth losing more than 850million views in a single day.

The dramatic falls, highlighted by figures compiled by YouTube statistics analysts at SocialBlade, came after YouTube conducted an audit of its viewing figures aimed at combating black hat view count-building techniques. This is when hackers artificially build up the numbers of views or likes on a YouTube video - enabling them to make clips appear far more popular than they really are and increase their exposure on the site. The viewcount culls will be damaging to the labels affected since YouTube is now web's premier outlet for music videos. Over four billion hours of video are watched by over 800million unique visitors to the site each month.

The Daily Dot reported how many of the channels affected - which also include ones belonging to Michael Jackson, Chris Brown and Beyonce, among others - had also had many videos deleted.

Oh dear :o

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not even surprised. I remember reading an article a couple of months about record labels also faking twitter followers and it said half of Bieber and Rihanna's followers were inactive accounts.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not surprised at all.
    I think many of us suspected that this went on right back into the noughties when Myspace was popular and that some of these rags to riches stories were artificially contrived.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    This has been going on for years. Like the videos to Girlfriend by Avril Lavigne, Bad Romance by Lady Gaga, Baby by Justin Bieber, and so on had their view counts boosted by hackers (especially Girlfriend, since that was back in the day when Youtube didn't have as many precautions against it).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Is there by any chance a full list of all the videos whose views had been hacked? Obviously GaGa, Bieber and Rihanna are the first names that spring to mind, but I'm sure it would be interesting to know all the artists who were getting fake views for their videos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    O.Michel wrote: »
    Is there by any chance a full list of all the videos whose views had been hacked? Obviously GaGa, Bieber and Rihanna are the first names that spring to mind, but I'm sure it would be interesting to know all the artists who were getting fake views for their videos.

I bet it even happens with lesser-known artists. Record labels giving a video a large amount of views is a good way to help push along a new artist. They can go to radio stations and say "You should play this new up-and-coming pop star. Her song has already got 15 million views on Youtube, it's going to be huge".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't be surprised. If labels buy Facebook fans/likes, radio airplay and Twitter followers, YouTube views wouldn't be far behind.
  • Options
    suniilsuniil Posts: 2,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Universal lost most of the views, followed by Sony, Beyonce etc (even Leona Lewis is in top list)

PSY faked the views to get initial kick (10million or so), but that was enough to get into youtube leader board in August.

Yes, the same FB fans / likes and Twitter too but not sure about airplay.
    I wouldn't be surprised. If labels buy Facebook fans/likes, radio airplay and Twitter followers, YouTube views wouldn't be far behind.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well its defo true of Twitter. Some big American blogger wrote a whole article on how well over half of Lady Gaga's followers haven't even tweeted anything! lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Twitter thing is a bit sketchy. The site that "measured" inactive accounts stated that it wasn't designed for over 100k followers.

Not to mention, an "inactive account" doesn't mean it is a "fake" account which was bought, it simply means that the user doesn't Tweet. There will be a lot of people who signed up to see what the fuss is about, followed the immediate suggestions and never returned. Then of course you have spambots, which add you when triggered by certain activity.

It probably does happen, but we don't know actual figures.

It's different with faking YouTube views because either the video was viewed X amount of times...or it wasn't. No grey area.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as my face artist of the moments views are still sound and from the looks of it, all of Jessie J's videos have the same amount of views.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For twitters, followers are actual (aka active) users but not exactly followers!

Youtube is the most difficult one, because google account is associated with it. Multiple accounts need phone verification etc, still people (hackers) find new loop holes to fake views. Also many of the fake views are just because of careless handling of patches by youtube.

FB is similar to twitter, too easy to get as many likes / fans compare to youtube.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Twitter thing is a bit sketchy. The site that "measured" inactive accounts stated that it wasn't designed for over 100k followers.

Not to mention, an "inactive account" doesn't mean it is a "fake" account which was bought, it simply means that the user doesn't Tweet. There will be a lot of people who signed up to see what the fuss is about, followed the immediate suggestions and never returned. Then of course you have spambots, which add you when triggered by certain activity.

It's different with faking YouTube views because either the video was viewed X amount of times...or it wasn't. No grey area.

If I could find that article I would link it, but I honestly can't find it online. The article said that the inactive accounts were made by the record label to make the popstar appear more popular than they actually are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stally wrote: »
    If I could find that article I would link it, but I honestly can't find it online. The article said that the inactive accounts were made by the record label to make the popstar appear more popular than they actually are.

Did they have proof or was it spun from that aforementioned website calculator?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stally wrote: »

There's companies out there that you can pay money to, and they give you lots of extra Twitter followers. Even a lot of underground rappers and dance DJs do that.

Like the company might have tens of thousands of Twitter accounts, and you can pay them to make a certain number of their accounts follow you.

The problem is, at least with the smaller underground artists, it's always so obvious when they suddenly have 50 extra followers per day for a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had suspected that this went on for certain artists. It's really not that difficult to increase views on Youtube. All you need to do is download a page add-on that refreshes the page every few minutes and leave it running.

As for Twitter followers, it wouldn't suprise me if that happened also. I've seen ads on ebay offering 35,000+ followers for £15. But then I've never trusted Twitter as a reliable source to gauge someone's popularity. I'll stick with my weedy 100 followers who actually interact with me :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    This has been going on for years. Like the videos to Girlfriend by Avril Lavigne, Bad Romance by Lady Gaga, Baby by Justin Bieber, and so on had their view counts boosted by hackers (especially Girlfriend, since that was back in the day when Youtube didn't have as many precautions against it).

I remember this. Avril's song, Girlfriend, really wanted to overtake Evolution of Dance, which was the biggest Youtube clip at the time. They eventually did and I remember reading somewhere that the label or Avril demanding $2 million for achieving such a feat :D. Doubt that's true.
  • Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    I bet Gangnam Style has only had like 750 views really :p:D
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well its defo true of Twitter. Some big American blogger wrote a whole article on how well over half of Lady Gaga's followers haven't even tweeted anything! lol

Some people just sign up to follow and don't tweet ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    paltonz wrote: »
    I remember this. Avril's song, Girlfriend, really wanted to overtake Evolution of Dance, which was the biggest Youtube clip at the time. They eventually did and I remember reading somewhere that the label or Avril demanding $2 million for achieving such a feat :D. Doubt that's true.

Don't know if that's true lol, but back in 2007 time, when Youtube was in its younger days, you could increase the view count endlessly simply by refreshing the page. A lot of Avril fans used this program that would automatically refresh the page repeatedly for you, and you could have it running in the background, whilst you were doing other stuff.

That sort of thing doesn't work with Youtube now though, after that they took measures to prevent views being rigged like that.

I felt bad for the Avril fans though, since the video got deleted in the end lmao!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That still works, in slightly different way but in very major scale from across the planet for major companies!
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    this program that would automatically refresh the page repeatedly for you, and you could have it running in the background, whilst you were doing other stuff.

That sort of thing doesn't work with Youtube now though, after that they took measures to prevent views being rigged like that.