Have you ever been to a concert, where the main, or one of the main acts got booed?

HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
Forum Member
✭✭
I've been to two:
A Rock and roll concert at Wembley stadium in early seventies. Little Richard was running late and wouldn't leave the stage, everyone started booing because they wanted to see Chuck Berry before the plug was pulled, (concert had a latest time cut off..council order).
Second was Lou Reed at the Rainbow Theatre 1973 I think. He was out of it, forgot words, kept restarting songs, walking off stage etc. Lots of boos for that and we left before the end.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw amy winehouse in birmingham in 2006/7 where she was over an hour late on stage, showed up drunk and continued to get more drunk (and high) on stage, often forgetting words and just shouting 'blaaake' intermittently throughout her songs. it culminated with the crowd growing inpatient, booing her off, her coming back, calling the crowd ***** and leaving the stage mid way through her last song.
  • cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Primal Scream got booed off Newcastle Riverside 1989. The only band i ever saw booed off, cannot remember exactly but i think the set was short and it was mainly new material.
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not music maybe...but I always remember hearing Billy Connolly saying that he was once booed ON ;)
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Not a main act, but when I went to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers in Hyde Park in 2004 one of the support acts, Chicks On Speed, got so badly booed and bottled by the crowd that they left after 10 mins of what was supposed to be a half hour set! They were truly awful and completely tone deaf, and it didn't help matters when after 5 minutes of continous abuse the lead singer yelled 'You're a load of f*cking w*nkers!'. Eventually they gave up and left, causing the crowd to chant in celebration 'You're not singing anymore! You're not singing anymore!' :D
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At Bruce Springsteen's gigs, the crowd always go

"Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!"

Handy for Bruce, because if anyone did boo him, nobody would notice :D
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marilyn Manson
    Justin Bieber

I might have lied about one of those.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Didnt Britney get booed in Manchester on her circus tour for saying "what up london"
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At Bruce Springsteen's gigs, the crowd always go

"Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!"

Handy for Bruce, because if anyone did boo him, nobody would notice :D

Last year in Manchester I was standing next to a guy who'd never seen him before. When the Bruuuuuuuceing started he looked really shocked, turned to me and was all *omg! What did he do??* and was quite upset for a bit. :D
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didnt Britney get booed in Manchester on her circus tour for saying "what up london"

OMG that just sums her up. Hilarious!
  • MybelleMybelle Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Lady GaGa was booed by 80,000 Take That fans at Wembley. I wasn't there, but it seems she was christened Lady No Show because she failed to go onstage twice.:D

I'm glad we got The Script instead the night we went.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to recall Liam Gallagher walking on stage at Wembley 2000 and shouting out "Hello Manchester":D:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gAeTgmZjzI

Might have been the day his divorce went through so I don't think he was all there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Yep, Patti Smith, Reading Festival 197?. She came on, went into one of her poems, and was booed and canned. She won over the audience though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    Marilyn Manson
    Justin Bieber

I might have lied about one of those.

Yeah you lied about Justin ! :-:*)
  • Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whitney Houston in Birmingham. She was off her face. No way should she have been allowed to go on stage. I stuck up for her at the time but now when I look back it was the most awkward gig I have ever been to.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at a memorable Reading Festival when one-hit pop act Daphne and Celeste got booed and bottled off stage (who the hell thought it was a good idea to book them on a rock / indie festival?). Kevin Rowland also got booed off.
  • ChrisJamesSatsChrisJamesSats Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    When I went to see Steps last year, before the show started they each came on a video screen one by one introducing a pop song they liked. When Lisa Scott-Lee came on, there was a big chorus of boos. However thankfully I didn't hear any when she was actually on stage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    I went to see Steps too and there were a lot of boos for Lisa Scott-Lee. I don't understand why though, when I was little she was my favourite.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrsbadger wrote: »
    Yeah you lied about Justin ! :-:*)

I did. :D
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god. I saw Kanye West a couple of years back (at the time I didn't even like Kanye, I was just there for Stronger...) and after a few songs he stopped the music and talked for literally 30 MINUTES about how the media made him a monster and how they banned a music video etc etc.

The crowd were going ballistic, tbh I just wanted to sit down since I'd drank so much vodka I was barely conscious.

But seriously it was just like no1 currrrrrrrrrrrrrrr like a full on case of STFU.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    I did. :D
    I know ! I was there.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madonna38 wrote: »
    Whitney Houston in Birmingham. She was off her face. No way should she have been allowed to go on stage. I stuck up for her at the time but now when I look back it was the most awkward gig I have ever been to.

This was the one that got a lot of bad press locally, as I think BBC WM did a phone in on it the morning ISTR.
  • DomestiquesDomestiques Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw 50 cent get bottled off at reading. Eagles of death metal get booed when supporting The Distillers at brum academy.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    I was at a memorable Reading Festival when one-hit pop act Daphne and Celeste got booed and bottled off stage (who the hell thought it was a good idea to book them on a rock / indie festival?). Kevin Rowland also got booed off.

Dont ask me how I know this but I read before that they pleaded with their manager to be included in the line up because Eminem was supposed to be there and they had a crush on him. But then he cancelled (or didn't agree to it in the first place) and they weren't allowed to back out.
  • DomestiquesDomestiques Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Way before eminems time.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Way before eminems time.

No it wasn't. it was around 2000 which was about when eminem hit the big time. Plus if i remember correctly one of daphne and celeste was even wearing a t-shirt that said somthing about eminem on the front.