✭✭✭
I suggest you give this a listen
www.solidgoldgem.am

Comments

• Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I am missing Caroline North. I do listen to Gem AM and it is a good station, but with most (if not all) of the programmes being pre-recorded it lacks that certain 'live' appeal and accessibility that Caroline North had.
  • Options
    Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm assuming that you mean the 1960s station, anchored off the IOM.

Yes of course we do. It was an important part of our lives. We used to listen to it for most of the time, even at school when we were 1960s teenagers. Other stations could be received after dark to widen the choice, but Caroline North was our mainstay.

It was disappointing that the IOM was unable to win their independence from the mainland, and allow the station to carry on transmitting legally. If a regional station was launched now, broadcasting from a boat legally at the same place, then it would be a huge tourist attraction as well as providing good regional entertainment.

As I've said before on this forum, the concept of a radio station with an identity created partly by jingles was a new one to us teenage listeners. We did feel that after a few years it would be good to have different jinles played at us, and as I said the other week, this is apparently a standard practice amongst radio stations. So if a Caroline North replica appeared off the IOM today, hopefully it would be sporting a refreshed personality in some ways...

It would be a welcome return, as northerners do enjoy their entertainment...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    Caroline North RSL will be fondly remembered for a very long time.

What to listen to now....easy - BBC Radio 2
    Ken Bruce and Patrick Kielty on top form today.
    Paddy had a texter from his home town in Ireland ask for any Thin Lizzy.
    So he said 'we don't do requests, we're formatted and the producer decides what we play' - cue Whisky in the Jar intro - PMSL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phil Dodd wrote: »
    I'm assuming that you mean the 1960s station, anchored off the IOM.

Yes of course we do. It was an important part of our lives. We used to listen to it for most of the time, even at school when we were 1960s teenagers. Other stations could be received after dark to widen the choice, but Caroline North was our mainstay.

It was disappointing that the IOM was unable to win their independence from the mainland, and allow the station to carry on transmitting legally. If a regional station was launched now, broadcasting from a boat legally at the same place, then it would be a huge tourist attraction as well as providing good regional entertainment.

As I've said before on this forum, the concept of a radio station with an identity created partly by jingles was a new one to us teenage listeners. We did feel that after a few years it would be good to have different jinles played at us, and as I said the other week, this is apparently a standard practice amongst radio stations. So if a Caroline North replica appeared off the IOM today, hopefully it would be sporting a refreshed personality in some ways...

It would be a welcome return, as northerners do enjoy their entertainment...

Phil - it's fair to say the OP was referring to the Liverpool RSL, as in the one that finished at midnight last night!
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ': wrote:
    Hannah;72411648']Caroline North RSL will be fondly remembered for a very long time.

What to listen to now....easy - BBC Radio 2
    Ken Bruce and Patrick Kielty on top form today.
    Paddy had a texter from his home town in Ireland ask for any Thin Lizzy.
    So he said 'we don't do requests, we're formatted and the producer decides what we play' - cue Whisky in the Jar intro - PMSL

Oh no sorry but Ken Bruce IMHO is a no no :(
  • Options
    MrRayDOMrRayDO Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ': wrote:
    Hannah;72411673']Phil - it's fair to say the OP was referring to the Liverpool RSL, as in the one that finished at midnight last night!

I think ken knew that .bet he lives in kent
  • Options
    radio-roverradio-rover Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    www.solidgoldgem.am

Brian Cullens Wing Ding show is on Sunday 4 to 6 with pirate radio memories,
    another show I like is the Beatles hour at 12 midnight most nights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    www.solidgoldgem.am

Just giving this a try - very impressed...
    Cheers for the tip!
  • Options
    jdukjduk Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Radio caroline north was much better than the original radio caroline from Tilbury, shame about the odd audio and technical problems they had over the 28days.
  • Options
    Seagull259Seagull259 Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back to Dutch radio for me. Grew up in the 70s listening in the daytime to the Dutch Service of RNI & Radio Mi Amigo so now it is Radio 10 or ExtraGold mainly.

Must admit after a shaky start & the on going technical problems, overall Caroline North was a good listen. Well done to all involved.
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seagull259 wrote: »
    Back to Dutch radio for me. Grew up in the 70s listening in the daytime to the Dutch Service of RNI & Radio Mi Amigo so now it is Radio 10 or ExtraGold mainly.

Must admit after a shaky start & the on going technical problems, overall Caroline North was a good listen. Well done to all involved.

Radio 10 gold is good the 60's & 70's is IMHO better than the main Gold output, & yes I hope the guys who put on Caroline North come back next year or sooner than that:)
  • Options
    MrRayDOMrRayDO Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good to see someone got it on in shoutcast today . well done
  • Options
    Hot HitsHot Hits Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with Seagull259. I grew up with Dutch radio too. Loved Radio 10 Gold on 675KHz.
    Listen to them now a lot and Extra Gold too.
    Have you tried Radio Paradijs from Holland ?? They play all Caroline North type music. In English with the Offshore Jingles... Jammin' Oldies!!
    In Holland they are on 1584/1224 and 1332KHz
    http://fmscan.org/net.php?r=m&m=s&itu=HOL&pxf=Radio+Paradijs
    On Tunein and Reciva etc.
  • Options
    zorbaszorbas Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Yes. I'm missing it. Was an entertaining 28 days, be it the music, the presenters, the spontaneity, the odd break in transmission. Great stuff, and sadly missed.
  • Options
    theoldiesmantheoldiesman Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    If you're talking about The RSL NO, I don't.
    Like every station in the UK, drivel & boring.
    If it's Caroline North from Ramsay in 1he 60's YES!
    Is everyone afraid to just play 60's ? The RSL would have been a lot better if the stuck to this format, trying to please all of the people all of the time.