Gold

Comments

• AmaraAmara Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    Given the amount of adverts that Gold used to play if it didn't make money why didn't it. Were they freebies to make it sound busy?
  • Mike oFoneMike oFone Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Given the amount of adverts that Gold used to play if it didn't make money why didn't it. Were they freebies to make it sound busy?

I know someone locally that advertises on Heart, and were basically given Gold as an 'add-on' for a very low rate, I guess that is how it worked across most, if not all, the Gold network.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Mike oFone wrote: »
    I know someone locally that advertises on Heart, and were basically given Gold as an 'add-on' for a very low rate, I guess that is how it worked across most, if not all, the Gold network.

On the East-Mids frequencies (GOLD) they advertise a Notts-based curry-house, just like local radio in the old days!:)
    Forum Member

Interestingly I remember someone telling me that in the pre-Global days I didn't realise that it was still happening. I wonder if the same applies now with Heart in areas where Smooth isn't on FM?
  • bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is how most media advertising works, you pay premium for the major network and then offered the smaller network at a discount. ITV used to do it years ago where for example if you take a spot on Corrie then they would offer a spot outside peek time at a huge discount
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eamonn Kelly is on BBC Radio Kent today 2 until 6pm
  • David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eamonn Kelly is on BBC Radio Kent today 2 until 6pm
    got him on now. he said something about being his first day, so i dont think this is a one off from him on radio kent.
  • davbakdavbak Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    got him on now. he said something about being his first day, so i dont think this is a one off from him on radio kent.

He has put a short video on his Facebook page which shows Dave Cash in the next studio. Live and local on a Bank Holiday! Wonder if Dave got Eamonn the gig as they both go back to the Capital Gold days? Nice one Dave if he did. Now Paul and Dean and job done!
  • radio-roverradio-rover Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you missed it its worth checking out on catch up,

The Beatles: The night that changed America-a Grammy salute.
    Friday 2 May on ITV

Watching this tribute to the fab 4 It occurred to me that other countries probably appreciate the 60s British music scene more than we do!

with Gold going down the drain there will soon be alot less of this great decade played on UK radio.
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shaun Tilley is currently broadcasting on Signal 107.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shaun Tilley is currently broadcasting on Signal 107.

Thought Shaun had retired to Wales?
    Forum Member

He appeared at the April Gold Weekender.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well he said he is covering for the rest of this week, and all next week on Signal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dean has announced on Facebook that he is hosting the after show party for Barry Manilow next week at Wembley.
  • RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may be a mistake? but Gold have Simon Hurst listed on there website for Saturday 12noon with his Vinyl Heaven show??
    Forum Member
    RadioJohn wrote: »
    It may be a mistake? but Gold have Simon Hurst listed on there website for Saturday 12noon with his Vinyl Heaven show??

H'mm, well spotted.

Of course, now I'm thinking that it may just not have been removed, but one curious thing is, it states "Simon Hirst plays the greatest 70's hits of all time...." whereas previously, he played hits across the decades?

I do hope he's back, but no doubt I'll be disappointed.

Probably just gremlins, someone in I.T. messing with some code.
    Forum Member
    Of course if this is anything to go by, Simon may be coming to a well-known national station very soon?!:kitty:
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    H'mm, well spotted.

Of course, now I'm thinking that it may just not have been removed, but one curious thing is, it states "Simon Hirst plays the greatest 70's hits of all time...." whereas previously, he played hits across the decades?
    I note afterwards is a 70s Saturday?
  • tellymantellyman Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was hoping this was going to say Gold is back on the radio down here.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much the same as in the days of Capital Gold, which was the second must successful station in London as one point.
    But Capital Gold was aimed at listeners too old for Capital? The Gold listeners have got older and older with few new listeners?
    Wonder if the long term plan is now some Gold listeners have gone to Smooth on local FM, AM or DAB, the D1 Smooth channel will turn into Smooth Xmas, then Smooth Gold or (Heart Gold) aimed at 35-54 sharing some 70s and 80s music with current Gold, but current Gold have optouts at times with 60s music (as on Sunday evenings?)
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course if this is anything to go by, Simon may be coming to a well-known national station very soon?!:kitty:
    No such luck, he was just visiting his mate Alex.
    Would love to hear him do some cover shows on R2 though, they took a punt with Sam & Amy so why not Hirsty?
  • brumlad36brumlad36 Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    But Capital Gold was aimed at listeners too old for Capital? The Gold listeners have got older and older with few new listeners?
    Wonder if the long term plan is now some Gold listeners have gone to Smooth on local FM, AM or DAB, the D1 Smooth channel will turn into Smooth Xmas, then Smooth Gold or (Heart Gold) aimed at 35-54 sharing some 70s and 80s music with current Gold, but current Gold have optouts at times with 60s music (as on Sunday evenings?)

Following on from what hanssolo says, it could be that, if Gold has no new listeners, (and therefore the original Gold listeners are now much older), they will eventually be dead, and Gold will have no listeners at all.
    Maybe Global want some current 50-65 year-olds to aim a station at? Could this be the proposed (insert your station name here)? Just wondering :confused:

Chris.
  • RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    H'mm, well spotted.

I do hope he's back, but no doubt I'll be disappointed.

Probably just gremlins, someone in I.T. messing with some code.

Oh well No Hirsty back on Gold then, Seems like an IT cock up!! I just checked Sky Digital and it doe's says "Simon Hirst Vinyl Heaven" but its the same old music marathon dross !!!!!
  • Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said on another thread I started a couple of weeks ago it is very sad that we have had the changes to Smooth as well as Heart where as we have still had no announcement on the new Gold type station, when it will start and who will be presenting on it. In the meantime Gold continues with just Tony Dibbin at Breakfast and automated the rest of the time apart from is it weekends between 8 and 12 or 1?.

It would be so nice if Global could have a change of heart and:

1: Bring presenters back to Gold.

2: The likes of Simon Bates, Eamonn Kelly, Mick Brown, Paul Burnett, Tony Blackburn, Andy Peebles and David Jensen to name but a few.

3: Introduce an actual chart countdown between 4 and 7pm on Sunday along the lines of The Big Top 40 Show where sales of songs from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s are calculated and Simon Bates could present it.

Also have a Gold Jukebox maybe presented by Dean Martin or even Neil/Dr Fox as well as documentaries on the history of pop radio, and what about Emperor Rosko presenting a Saturday night disco show?.

Not only that but advertise on television etc. That a Gold station can be received on DAB radio in your area and I'm sure people would listen, the thing is Gold has the right branding and jingles - "The Greatest Hits Of All Time, This Is Gold". It is just being wasted and has been run down and how about presenters such as Tony Blackburn, Paul Burnett, Noel Edmonds, Ed Stewart, Simon Bates, Andy Peebles and David Jensen all getting together along with other presenters from the past and getting up a petition for a national Gold station on DAB?.

Tony Blackburn spoke out about the way Gold was annialated when Classic Gold closed but without a big campaign Gold will still carry on the way it is until either it is killed off when the new station starts if it ever does or Global just decide it has no listeners due to it not having a national audience, so I say come on lets start a campaign now as a national Gold station promoted in the right way would help DAB take off.