Forum Member
✭✭
On now

Is this the UK premiere? :D

Comments

• necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is (at least freeview premiere), though I'm not watching it. I first saw The Hunger Games when it came out it in cinemas and was rather lukewarm to it. I still haven't seen Catching Fire yet, though I probably I should catch up with it.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it is (at least freeview premiere), though I'm not watching it. I first saw The Hunger Games when it came out it in cinemas and was rather lukewarm to it. I still haven't seen Catching Fire yet, though I probably I should catch up with it.

The books was much better granted.

I got it cheap on Blu-Ray and it's one of my best purchases, the picture quality in the fighting scenes blow me away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    wow, am i the only one who isn't bothered and not watched it lol
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm not particularly bothered. I didn't even notice it was on and I went though the epg earlier to see what was on tonigh :D

I probably would have recorded it though as it's on C4 and not availabe on Sky movies.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it in the cinema and rewatched it last night. I remembered the second film as being much better than the first, and that led me to think the first film was worse than it was, but I enjoyed it. They make a few mistakes with Peeta, but overall it's good.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,976
    Forum Member
    I have never read the books but I have seen the first film. I didn't rate it to be honest. I tried to watch it for a second time and got bored.
  • emma555emma555 Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    I watched it in the cinema and rewatched it last night. I remembered the second film as being much better than the first, and that led me to think the first film was worse than it was, but I enjoyed it. They make a few mistakes with Peeta, but overall it's good.

Same. I really enjoyed it on the second viewing, maybe cos I've read all the books now and can see how they are trying to set them up more here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    The 3 books are all amazing.
    The First Book is by far the best. BUT The film didn't match it.
    The second book was brilliant but not as good. However Catching Fire: Film was AMAZING! :D
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this for the first time last night.

At first I thought it wasn't bad for a kids film and then I got really bored after an hour but carried on watching. Unfortunately it doesn't live up to the hype and I didn't enjoy it.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recorded it last night to see what the fuss is about.
    Don't know when (if) I will get round to watching it.
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    One of the dullest films I've seen in a long time - can't believe it takes over an hour for the games to begin! Thankfully I have a new Blu-ray of Battle Royale to take away the pain :)
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this for the first time when it was shown on Channel 4.
    I thought it was just average and run of the mill.

I don't understand why everyone was going on about it at the time it was released.
    It seemed very bog standard and generic to me.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it at the cinema, have it on Blu-Ray and watched it on Saturday. Prefer this over the 2nd actually.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasnt on SKY movies, so was 1st showing. What was all the fuss about? Bad acting, shot like a home movie, terribly boring made for tweenies & teens only. Looked more like a bad
    TV show from the seventies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    intruder2k wrote: »
    One of the dullest films I've seen in a long time - can't believe it takes over an hour for the games to begin! Thankfully I have a new Blu-ray of Battle Royale to take away the pain :)

Almost like it's not really about the games themselves or something...
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Blah, blah.....THG....Battle Royale....ZZZzzz...

I too saw it first only the other night, and I kind of liked it.

An interesting piece of dystopian SF that at least plays out its themes rather than discard them (a common trait). The equation of charade and reality is handled well, and nicely echoed in the romance aspect later on. The game itself proves surprisingly brutal, giving it more kick than expected. And Jennifer Lawrence - all coltish strength and vulnerability - is as splendid and commited as ever.

As a piece of film-making you could say it's nothing more than briskly efficient, and some spotty CGI does let it down a bit (the over-cautious $78m budget perhaps). Overall, however, it does its job well. Forget the 'young adult' tag, there's a lot to commend.

(oh, and I'm glad I liked it as I didn't want its rabid fans attacking me in the street ;-))
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Woody Harrelson in it was kind of random LOL
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »

But not Lenny Kravitz ?
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    I think you need to be a Fan although in saying that my husband loved it and saw the 2nd one in the cinema with me (im a big fan)
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blah, blah.....THG....Battle Royale....ZZZzzz...

I too saw it first only the other night, and I kind of liked it.

An interesting piece of dystopian SF that at least plays out its themes rather than discard them (a common trait). The equation of charade and reality is handled well, and nicely echoed in the romance aspect later on. The game itself proves surprisingly brutal, giving it more kick than expected. And Jennifer Lawrence - all coltish strength and vulnerability - is as splendid and commited as ever.

As a piece of film-making you could say it's nothing more than briskly efficient, and some spotty CGI does let it down a bit (the over-cautious $78m budget perhaps). Overall, however, it does its job well. Forget the 'young adult' tag, there's a lot to commend.

(oh, and I'm glad I liked it as I didn't want its rabid fans attacking me in the street ;-))

You can't deny the similarities with BR though. And unless you're a die hard HG fan you can't deny which is the better film. (but that's for another thread and will be my last mention of BR vs HG if I post again in here)

It was just okay for me. The early part of the film dragged and the set-up with the little girl may as well have had a neon sign. I didn't get Bank's pantomime dame thing. Hemsworth's character was superfluous. And the thing with Peeta painting himself I found ridiculous. Your life is in danger and you stop for an art class? And I didn't see him with a mirror at any point. Lawrence was solid as ever, still haven't seen her turn in a bad performance. Although I don't like her as Mystique.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    intruder2k wrote: »
    That reflects how different the films are. BR never really explores the society that produced the battle. In fact, the background never made sense to me. Apparently the elders are concerned about youth not showing respect, or something, but obviously this group aren't going to be improved because they all die, and other kids don't seem to know it's happening. Certainly this group don't seem aware of any previous games, although we know they've happened, and this game isn't televised. Basically, there's no depth to this part of it. Just chuck the kids in the arena and let them get on with it.

The strength of BR is the ensemble cast and seeing how the 40 or so kids react individually. You get to see pretty much all their deaths. BG is more focussed on one person, and most of the others die off-screen. Society and the way in which fame and media are consuming, are big parts of it. Very different films, without much in common other than the obvious idea of kids fighting each other.
    FusionFury wrote: »
    I thought his drunkenness was underplayed. In the books he's the town drunk. As a previous winner, he was set up for life, and he spent most of his money on alcohol. The film does show that to begin with, but he sobers up fairly quickly.