Argentina Vs Germany Finals 1986 and 1990

DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I expect there will be a lot of looking back to these two finals in the next few days.

I remember 86 as being pretty good, with 90 being a bit of a stinker.

Was also an important combination of games as it was fulfilling a "mirrored prophecy" that England were due to win the World Cup in 1998 (From 1966 winners were England, Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Italy (and reflect point), Argentina, Germany, Brazil.............France >:( )

Heres some highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpDc3HiuTnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0zy_UakAnY

Comments

• Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    West Germany v Argentina 1990 with English commentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybj5I44nBnE

My favourite bit is the Argentinian players shoving the referee about in frustration after he dishes out their second red card.
  • dreadnoughtdreadnought Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember 86 as being pretty good, with 90 being a bit of a stinker.

Argentina stunk out the World Cup in 1990 like a great big turd. Unfortunately in the final Germany sunk to their level instead of wiping the floor with them. An awful final.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My favourite bit is the Argentinian players shoving the referee about in frustration after he dishes out their second red card.

Ah, sorry, I checked the 86 one was in English, but not the 90 one.

The full games can be found on there too, I might stick on the 90 one to see how bad it really was (cant have been worse than the semi we have just seen, surely ?)
  • NiteOwl12NiteOwl12 Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    Argentina stunk out the World Cup in 1990 like a great big turd. Unfortunately in the final Germany sunk to their level instead of wiping the floor with them. An awful final.

That is exactly how I remember it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Short video of Maradona 86 highlights, with Aztec Gold Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvptendlG2M
  • KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guess who will be playing a friendly international on 3rd September in Düsseldorf?

Germany v Argentina :o:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KarlHyde wrote: »
    Guess who will be playing a friendly international on 3rd September in Düsseldorf?

Haha, didnt know that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    KarlHyde wrote: »

Will you be going to see the newly crowned world champions?
  • KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That depends. :D
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this German team has the measure of the Argies...it could be another embarassment.
  • SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this Final ends up being even half as good as the 1986 clash then we'll be in for a treat.
    But, unfortunately, the way Argentina will set up suggests it won't be anything like that.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 54,008
    Forum Member
    Lets hope its not remembered like that 1990 final which seems to be been played in the same way as the Netherlands v Spain game last time..

TBH Neither strike me as teams who will go out to hack each other and they wouldn't get away with it.
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1986 was a brilliant Final, 1990 not so much although German fans won`t care. Italy should have won the 1990 World Cup, they didn`t concede a goal until the second half of the Semi Final. Walter Zenga....that`s YOU I am referring to.
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maradona was a little shit. With the emphasis on little. And shit.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1990 was the year England had a better team than Germany and a real chance of winning the WC (once Italy were out).
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    Maradona was a little shit. With the emphasis on little. And shit.

Nope. Not one bit. He seems to be the only player trying to calm down the situation and gets a yellow card for his troubles.
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argentina's 1990 team must be the worst side to ever reach the World Cup final.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big mac wrote: »
    Argentina's 1990 team must be the worst side to ever reach the World Cup final.

That prize has to go to Germany in 2002.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »

At least the Germans got to that final by winning matches in normal time rather than playing for a penalty shoot out victory from the first whistle like Argentina did in 1990.

I don't recall them getting as many cards as the Argentinians did back then either.
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I disagree. Argentina in 1990 were a disgrace. Ill-disciplined, dirty with very little quality. They only just scraped through their group.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1986 was a great final
    1990 was THE WORST FINAL EVER
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    1986 was a great final
    1990 was THE WORST FINAL EVER

2010 was pretty bad as well
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Say what you like about Argentina in 1990, at least they didn't kung-fu kick anyone in the final and they never had anyone as dirty as De Jong and Van Bommel.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know people say that but the actual match was better than many other finals. 1990, 94, 2006 and 2010 spring to mind as poor.