Options

Music in restaurants.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 764
Forum Member
✭✭
We went to a newly opened restaurant at the weekend. It was French themed and very stylish but we thought that the whole atmosphere was spoilt by the inappropriate random music that was playing in the background. It seemed like a "Now that's what I call..." sort of mixture.

Personally I'm not a fan of continual low level background music in quality restaurants but if there is going to be some then surely some thought should go into it to try and make it blend in not jar.

I go to a great Mexican where they play Mariachi type music which actually creates an atmosphere.
Now that's what I call ... appropriate music.

Am I being a grumpy old curmudgeon?

Comments

• Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think you should notice the music in a restaurant, it should be there as a background or not there at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you should notice the music in a restaurant, it should be there as a background or not there at all.

completely agree. We went to a restaurant the other week and the music was so loud that you couldn't hear each other at the table. How can you have conversation like that
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    geoveo wrote: »
    We went to a newly opened restaurant at the weekend. It was French themed and very stylish but we thought that the whole atmosphere was spoilt by the inappropriate random music that was playing in the background. It seemed like a "Now that's what I call..." sort of mixture.

Personally I'm not a fan of continual low level background music in quality restaurants but if there is going to be some then surely some thought should go into it to try and make it blend in not jar.

I go to a great Mexican where they play Mariachi type music which actually creates an atmosphere.
    Now that's what I call ... appropriate music.

Am I being a grumpy old curmudgeon?

go and make your comments on Tripadvisor. Some restaurants / hotels actually change because of it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    go and make your comments on Tripadvisor. Some restaurants / hotels actually change because of it

I'm not waging a campaign against the restaurant. I'm sure that restaurants play music because they believe that their customers like it, I'm sure that most people don't notice it or it doesn't bother them.

I just wanting to find if others are bothered by the use of inappropriate music played at that level where it's not dominant but not quiet enough to ignore it.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    A few of restuarants we go to in town play music. One is a tapas bar and so has spanish guitar music playing. It works well. And some times they have my mate playing live. He's stuck in the corner so it's not too distracting.

He also plays at a chinese restaurant down the road though and it doesn't fit in well there.

Another one plays random mediterranian music which is ok providing it's not too loud.

I would ask for it to be turned down now after watching Ramsay's Best Restaurant. The customer should always ask. Others are probably thinking the same as you.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't object to it as long as it is in the background, if it is noisy I don't frequent the restaurant but I suppose some people like it.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't open an Indian restaurant without sitars playing in the background. It's the law. Same thing with Greek restaurants and bouzoukis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't open an Indian restaurant without sitars playing in the background. It's the law. Same thing with Greek restaurants and bouzoukis.

That I'd probably like,
    It's not the fact of music playing that I dislike, it's inappropriate music, such as random clubbing or radio type stuff, with no thought put into it, other than what the chief or waitress has on their ipod.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mirabelle wrote: »
    completely agree. We went to a restaurant the other week and the music was so loud that you couldn't hear each other at the table. How can you have conversation like that

This is a common problem in Pizza Hut and a few other chain places. Music should always be just background music as conversation is an essential part of the dining experience.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    There is nothing worse than music or televisions on when you are eating with friends.

Why they do it is a mystery to me as it is hard to hear what your friends are saying.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless it's a casual bar meal i'm not a fan of loud/inaproppriate music. I'm primaraly there to talk to my dining companions.

*I also suspect I can't spell properly today.*:o:D
  • Options
    Annie1fortennisAnnie1fortennis Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to a local Japanese/Korean place today with my daughter for lunch. The music was little bit too loud for me but the bass was too too much it hurt my ears and it irritated me no end. When I said to my daughter that I was going to ask for the bass to be turned down she rolled her eyes. I felt very old :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like it too loud but if I hear Indian music on the radio, I crave a curry, how Pavlovian is that?