Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 12)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,838
Administrator
xsalsafanx wrote: »
I seriously don't think my nerves could take another five set epic! Though that win was brilliant, Gasquet's bound to be extra-motivated to take out Andy this time round. I do think though that if both play to their highest level, Andy will win - just hope Andy starts the match fully focused and playing well.

This thread is a continuation of: The Tennis Thread (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So who are you all tipping for the men and women's titles anyway? Anyone had any major changes of heart? I'm thinking Fed and Maria though I want it to be Rafa and Maria
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope Masha takes the ladies crown

As for the men, can't see Murray taking the crown unless he REALLY improves otherwise it could be another easy win for Rafa in the semis (providing they both get there of course)

Would be nice though to see someone outside of Rafa or Fed take the crown, so am going to hedge my bets with Nole
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think tomorrow will be one of the best days ever at Wimbledon.

JMDP vs Nadal.
    Venus vs Pironkova
    Serena vs Bartoli

All 3 of those games have the potential to be classics- with possible upsets in all 3 too. I hope both Williams get through, but both could also quite easily be exiting. This will be Nadals toughest test before the final IMO, JMDP is a bit of an unknown after all his injuries will he be good enough to truly battle Nadal?

Plus we also have Maria Sharapova,Roger Federer,Andy Murray,Caroline Woznacki,Sabine Lisicki and Novak Djokovic. It should be an extraordinary day of high quality tennis, and I have the day off too :D
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    richie4eva wrote: »
    Hope Masha takes the ladies crown

As for the men, can't see Murray taking the crown unless he REALLY improves otherwise it could be another easy win for Rafa in the semis (providing they both get there of course)

Would be nice though to see someone outside of Rafa or Fed take the crown, so am going to hedge my bets with Nole

We all assume it will be the big 4 making the semis on the mens side. Rafa has to beat Del Potro and then Berdych (last year's finalist who beat Fed on the way), Murray has to get past the tricky Gasquet and Fed has to get past Ferrer or Tsonga (who beat Rafa at Queens).

Nothing is certain in my view - Djokovic is the only one with an easy route to the semis.

As for the women - well about 8 of the women left could win it on a good day!
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    Part 12!!!!

Roll on tomorrow
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, new thread. I can't reply to quotes from the old one now. :(

Just to say tally that you were entirely spot on about what I'd be saying from the bed next to you at the Shady Pines home for the tennis bewildered. You know me too well.:D That bloody golfer. ;)
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quietly confident about Murray's chances today (hope I haven't jinxed him now!).

Don't lynch me, but I wouldn't mind Rafa being knocked out now.

And I think Bartoli might prove too consistent from the baseline for Williams who has been making a lot of errors.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I'm quietly confident about Murray's chances today (hope I haven't jinxed him now!).

Don't lynch me, but I wouldn't mind Rafa being knocked out now.

And I think Bartoli might prove too consistent from the baseline for Williams who has been making a lot of errors.

Murrays going to have to improve a heck of a lot i.e. not push push and push. He needs to start attacking more, a lot more.

As for Bartoli, she's slow as hell. Serena really should come through.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kishan wrote: »
    Murrays going to have to improve a heck of a lot i.e. not push push and push. He needs to start attacking more, a lot more.

As for Bartoli, she's slow as hell. Serena really should come through.

I reckon Murray will rise to the occasion. It's these sorts of matches he thrives on, they bring out the best in him.

Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bartoli should have a lot of confidence after coming back from being match points down, she's Eastbourne champ.. I think she may have beaten Serena a round or two back. Serena's had a couple of workouts and is starting to find form again, it's starting to remind me of the Oz Open a few years ago where she came in lacking in matches. (07? Not sure.)

Venus has looked the better player to me, of the two of the Williamses. If Masha doesn't win, I'd like someone new like Bartoli or Lisicki.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bartoli's speed (or lack of speed) is very deceptive. Being two handed on both sides restricts her reach. However she can release one hand and reach balls she otherwise wouldn't. The problem being - she's totally bonkers and refuses to change her game - or even tweak it.

She's so stubborn - but that's part of her charm I think. She could give Serena problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JC, I noticed you mentioned Rachel McQuillan on the Alphabet thread. What a blast from the past! The one time I went to Wimbledon, it was pretty much a washout, but I got to see half a Jana Novotna match whilst McQuillan was being hammered next door on Centre Court by Seles!
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Loon wrote: »
    So who are you all tipping for the men and women's titles anyway? Anyone had any major changes of heart? I'm thinking Fed and Maria though I want it to be Rafa and Maria

I know I will regret these predictions but Serena and Andy Murray. Serena was at deaths door a few months ago - and its exactly 75 years since a British man last won Wimbeldon. Fate surely leads you to those two!:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    JC, I noticed you mentioned Rachel McQuillan on the Alphabet thread. What a blast from the past! The one time I went to Wimbledon, it was pretty much a washout, but I got to see half a Jana Novotna match whilst McQuillan was being hammered next door on Centre Court by Seles!

Hard to believe that she's 40 this year Sid. :eek: Seems like yesterday I watched her play a doubles match at Birmingham. Time does fly. :cry::)

I loved Monica. I never saw her live though.
  • Options
    MissAyrshireMissAyrshire Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still tipping Sharapova and Federer to win
  • Options
    LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just put my post on there and it's thrown up quite a few blasts from the pasts for me as well. Be getting my Wimbledon 1991/1992/1996 et al videos out soon!
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Why not have Fed put on centre court as 1st play instead of Murray who should have been consigned to court 1!!:mad: Fed deserves it more not to mention far more interesting than irritating Murray.

With the expected rain later Fed might not even get to play nor finish the game today..damn!!! :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That was my original pick. I've got to divide equally between Masha/Serena now. Sheesh, Serena can play herself into a GS overnight, it's incredible.

So so nervous for Andy today. Gasquet's one of his nightmares. His serve needs to improve.....a lot.
    Why not have Fed put on centre court as 1st play instead of Murray who should have been consigned to court 1!!:mad: Fed deserves it more not to mention far more interesting than irritating Murray.

With the expected rain later Fed might not even get to play nor finish the game today..damn!!! :mad:
    Yippee. It'd make a change for Fed to be inconvenienced. I believe this is his first match not on CC. Why on earth shouldn't he be there, all the rest of the top 5 have? :confused: Why does he deserve it more. As No 3 seed I just dont get your logic.
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    tally wrote: »
    So so nervous for Andy today. Gasquet's one of his nightmares. His serve needs to improve.....a lot.

Yippee. It'd make a change for Fed to be inconvenienced. I believe this is his first match not on CC. Why on earth shouldn't he be there, all the rest of the top 5 have? :confused: Why does he deserve it more. As No 3 seed I just dont get your logic.

Because Murray has never been to court 1.

And hopefully Murray continues his nightmare of Gasquet.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

My money would be on Serena. I think she's just the most phenomenal fighter and she will do everything she can to win again at Wimbledon.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Quite. Murray is the most favoured player at Wimbledon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes he has. He played Kanke on No 1 court, second round. :p I was going to say I wish people got their facts right before posting, but having made 2 cock ups recently it'd be a case of POT-KETTLE-BLACK. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    tally wrote: »

Evidently because he's, well, Roger, and Andy is perceived as "irritating" by andallthatjazz.

Totally agree with you that Roger should play at least one match on No1, as incidentally should Andy have last year. This year, as tally has said, Andy did play his 2nd round match on No 1..

Andy is No 4 seed and like or not a quite legitimate reason for also putting him up the pecking order is he's British and a heck of a lot of folk in this country are interested in his progress. All other Grand Slams also favour their players to some extent.
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I know I will regret these predictions but Serena and Andy Murray. Serena was at deaths door a few months ago - and its exactly 75 years since a British man last won Wimbeldon. Fate surely leads you to those two!:D:D

Was she really that ill?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaccobabe wrote: »
    Was she really that ill?

:( Unlike the debacle of the glass sharded foot, she really was.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/williamssisters/8357321/Serena-Williams-has-pulmonary-embolism.html

It's amazing that article was written a mere three months or so ago.
This discussion has been closed.