I've been hacked on ebay

rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
Forum Member
my seller fees are £68.68 or something. I'm really worried. I have emailed ebay through the account theft bit i think and i explained everything, and i also asked for my fees to be taken off. i also messaged every buyer and told them so they didnt send any payment and i ended a listing that was still going. i have just got an automated response from ebay saying this:

Dear eBay member, If you need help resetting your eBay password, or you think your account has been used without your permission, please go to the "Securing Your Account and Reporting Account Theft" Help page. Follow the steps on this page to secure your account: http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-account-theft-reporting.html For further assistance with account security questions, please contact us through Live Help at: http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/ato-livehelp.html Live Help will open in a new window and connect you to an Account Security Live Chat representative. ***Learn More About eBay Safety and Security***To learn more about account security on eBay, or to report a problem with your account, please visit our Security & Resolution Center at: http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/index.html The Security & Resolution Center can help you do the following:- Learn more about account protection and buying safely.- Access resources for rules, policies, protection programs, and announcements.- See important safety tips and features.- Review law enforcement information.- Access Security & Resolution Center tools, and more. Sincerely, Anna

ive already done that i feel like im going round in circles this has really upset me!:cry:

Comments

• Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,618
    Forum Member
    So are you saying the £68.68 fee's are not yours?
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    No they are not mine i havnt used ebay for well over a year although i have logged on from time to time and there has been loads of unautorised activity on my account!:(
    Forum Member
    No they are not mine i havnt used ebay for well over a year although i have logged on from time to time and there has been loads of unautorised activity on my account!:(

How long has the unautorised activity been going on for?
    Forum Member
    Not sure but it cant be too long because i got there in time before these innocent buyers sent their money to this hacker. But i am still stuck with these fees that i have not made and ebay don't seem to be helping.
    Forum Member
    Not sure but it cant be too long because i got there in time before these innocent buyers sent their money to this hacker. But i am still stuck with these fees that i have not made and ebay don't seem to be helping.

You could ring them? Number is on there site somewhere and even ask on eBays own message boards. They seem to know all about eBay on there.
    Forum Member
    Ok thanks.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rockerchick, what strikes me as odd is that you seem to have been able to log on to your eBay account with your own password. I'd have thought that the first thing a hacker would normally do would be to change the password.

No chance that friends/family/flatmates might have made use of your account? Do you use your own computer or one in a college or library?

What happened when you used Live Help? What did the "Account Security Live Chat representative" tell you?
  • macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone hacked into my Ebay account a few months ago and listed a Mercedes ML 500 for sale :eek:

I have only ever sold a few things nothing above £170 so maybe they got suspicious :confused:

I got an email saying the listing had been withdrawn, all fees refunded and to change passwords etc.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it does indeed seem strange that the "hacker" didn't change the password, which would have been the first thing done.

i wonder if rockerchick receveived one of those spam emails asking you for your ebay details and clicked through with her login information.

*edit

the only way people can really "hack" your ebay account is if you have a password that is instantly guessable, you tell someone or you click through a fake email from ebay and sign in that way so your details are sent to someone else.

a "brute force" password cracker could feasibly take days or even weeks to guess a password in most cases.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it does indeed seem strange that the "hacker" didn't change the password, which would have been the first thing done.

i wonder if rockerchick receveived one of those spam emails asking you for your ebay details and clicked through with her login information.

*edit

the only way people can really "hack" your ebay account is if you have a password that is instantly guessable, you tell someone or you click through a fake email from ebay and sign in that way so your details are sent to someone else.

a "brute force" password cracker could feasibly take days or even weeks to guess a password in most cases.

I was hacked on ebay a few months ago.

I most definitely didn't tell anyone my password, I'm not stupid enough to reply to an email from ebay, and my password was not remotely easily guessable, and had a couple of numbers thrown in.

It must be able to happen some other way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was hacked on ebay a few months ago.

I most definitely didn't tell anyone my password, I'm not stupid enough to reply to an email from ebay, and my password was not remotely easily guessable, and had a couple of numbers thrown in.

And did they change your password?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigGayL wrote: »
    And did they change your password?

No, I don't think so. I could still get in using the password I had constructed.
  • Ulysses31Ulysses31 Posts: 4,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my seller fees are £68.68 or something. I'm really worried. I have emailed ebay through the account theft bit i think and i explained everything, and i also asked for my fees to be taken off. i also messaged every buyer and told them so they didnt send any payment and i ended a listing that was still going. i have just got an automated response from ebay saying this:

Dear eBay member, If you need help resetting your eBay password, or you think your account has been used without your permission, please go to the "Securing Your Account and Reporting Account Theft" Help page. Follow the steps on this page to secure your account: http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-account-theft-reporting.html For further assistance with account security questions, please contact us through Live Help at: http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/ato-livehelp.html Live Help will open in a new window and connect you to an Account Security Live Chat representative. ***Learn More About eBay Safety and Security***To learn more about account security on eBay, or to report a problem with your account, please visit our Security & Resolution Center at: http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/index.html The Security & Resolution Center can help you do the following:- Learn more about account protection and buying safely.- Access resources for rules, policies, protection programs, and announcements.- See important safety tips and features.- Review law enforcement information.- Access Security & Resolution Center tools, and more. Sincerely, Anna

ive already done that i feel like im going round in circles this has really upset me!:cry:

Good luck OP, this happened to my wife's account last year. She is a buyer only, and had her account locked out by ebay's software because it detected a spam listing.

It took us a month to get a new password, with correspondence probably totalling 20 e-mails back and forth each.

It then took us nearly six months to have just over £20.00 of seller fees which were generated by this hacker recredited...

In the end, we got a letter from their debt collectors Intrum Justitia, and I had to forward a print out of every single e-mail (between us and ebay) to them to prove that ebay had recognised the account had been hacked, that we weren't responsible for fees, to stop demanding payment, and to reinstate her ebay account

It is an absolute nightmare...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I don't think so. I could still get in using the password I had constructed.

Wow that's weird - so the same thing happened to you as to the OP. I wonder why they don't change the password - perhaps they think that you won't notice?
  • 19711971 Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    someone hacked my ebay - they listed something thing under my id...

I only knew cos i got an email confirming my listing.
    i ended the listing, changed my password and emailed ebay who then sent me an email saying someones hacked my account and to change my password!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigGayL wrote: »
    Wow that's weird - so the same thing happened to you as to the OP. I wonder why they don't change the password - perhaps they think that you won't notice?
    It does seem strange to me. I thought it was standard practice for the hijacker to change the password so that the real owner of the eBay account couldn't interfere with the auctions started by the hijacker.

Apart from changing the password, I'd have thought the hijacker would also change the email address associated with the account.

The only reason I can think of for leaving the password and email address unchanged would be that eBay sends a message when these things are altered, and that would presumably alert the owner of the account that something dodgy was taking place. Maybe if the hijacker can find an account that's rarely used it's safer to leave password and email address unchanged?

However, I'd have thought that during the course of an auction eBay would email the account holder with, for example, confirmation that the listing had been placed, questions from potential bidders and so on.

I'm puzzled.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it could still have been worked out via a brute force method - just because it takes a few days doesn't mean it isn't possible.

but like others, i'm still slightly bemused as to why these "hackers" never changed the persons password.

surely if the person signed in and saw a listing had been placed without their knowledge, they could simply end it straight away?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    It is possible there is a hack method which allows hackers to place auctions etc and gain access to the account without knowing the password - maybe they intercept the encrypted password or something, so don't ever actually know what it is. That would explain why they are unable to change it, but can still create listings. Probably once someone buys something, they tell them to pay an alternative way - i.e. not to the registered account holder, or there would be little point in hacking in in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it could still have been worked out via a brute force method - just because it takes a few days doesn't mean it isn't possible.

but like others, i'm still slightly bemused as to why these "hackers" never changed the persons password.

surely if the person signed in and saw a listing had been placed without their knowledge, they could simply end it straight away?

To be honest my short-lived obsession with ebay lasted all of six months and now I probably log in every month or so. I also have a unique hotmail account for all things ebay which I never log into unless I've bid on something or am selling a few items (very rarely now).

I only noticed someone had hacked in when I logged in to ebay one evening and noticed I had over 100 messages dating from three weeks previously. Most of the messages were warnings from other ebay members saying that they had reported me for some sort of naughty behaviour. Apparently I (or rather someone else logged in to my account) had sent hundreds of emails to people bidding on digital cameras, telling them to visit my ebay store (under another account name)

It was all rather bizarre but sorted now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose one way in which someone could have their account details stolen would be to use a computer in a public place like a library, university or school and fail to log out of their network user account or out of eBay itself. Possibly they allow the computer to remember their eBay user name and password; I never have to type in my eBay user name and password on this computer, but I'm the only one who uses it. On a "public computer" that approach could be dangerous.

Alternatively, possibly they tick the eBay sign-in option to, "Keep me signed in for today. Don't tick this box if you're at a public or shared computer."

I think there are key-logging trojans (or something) too, but I don't know how commonly that's a way for someone's eBay account to be hijacked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Do you mean paypal? My daughter and I have both had our paypal accounts hacked into. Hers had about £800 worth of transactions going from the Far East to Texas, via her paypal account. Once it was sorted out, which took ages and lots of hassle, she closed her account down. I had already closed my paypal due to a similar thing. They do not make it very easy to sort out this sort of problem.
    Forum Member
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Rockerchick, what strikes me as odd is that you seem to have been able to log on to your eBay account with your own password. I'd have thought that the first thing a hacker would normally do would be to change the password.

No chance that friends/family/flatmates might have made use of your account? Do you use your own computer or one in a college or library?

What happened when you used Live Help? What did the "Account Security Live Chat representative" tell you?

It was a hacker not a family member, somone in the us. I was able to log in but i have since changd my password.

Definatley a hacker i can assure you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a hacker not a family member, somone in the us. I was able to log in but i have since changd my password.

Definatley a hacker i can assure you.
    I see. The question remains, then: how did this person get your details?

Did eBay Live Help give you any clues about that?
    Forum Member
    I havn't been on the live help yet i'm going to go on it now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I havn't been on the live help yet i'm going to go on it now.
    Yes, I think you should. They'll probably sort things out quite quickly.