Any Authors like Julia Quinn?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,242
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've recently read all of Julia Quinn's regency romances. They have been an utter delight - full of humour, the most fantastic characters, witty banter etc etc. She really is an utter genius - I have never smiled so much in my life reading a book as I did when reading the last one.

So, can anyone recommend an author with a similar kind of talent for humourous, quirky storytelling? Prefereably regency but open to suggestions. Taaa x :)

Comments

• ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I love Julia Quinn. Even though I usually dislike wallpaper historicals, there's just something about her characters and her humour that I just love.

Similiar writers are Amanda Quick (I'd say she's even better than Quinn; although lately she's been writing Victorians with a psychic twist), Eloisa James (her last few books were Georgians, but she has lots of Regencies) and Christina Dodd (writes historicals, contemporaries and paranormals, but has written tons of Regencies.)

Lisa Kleypas and Candace Camp are good, but theirs are quite serious in tone and Camp's more historical romantic suspense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Julia Quinn. Even though I usually dislike wallpaper historicals, there's just something about her characters and her humour that I just love.

Similiar writers are Amanda Quick (I'd say she's even better than Quinn; although lately she's been writing Victorians with a psychic twist), Eloisa James (her last few books were Georgians, but she has lots of Regencies) and Christina Dodd (writes historicals, contemporaries and paranormals, but has written tons of Regencies.)

Lisa Kleypas and Candace Camp are good, but theirs are quite serious in tone and Camp's more historical romantic suspense.

Thank You!!! I will go and raid Amazon for Amanda Quick novels!! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Other excellent regency writers are Jo Beverley (her books have just started being published in the UK but you can get the US published books easily through Amazon) and Mary Balogh. Both write linked books - Jo Beverley's main series are the Company of Rogues books and a few linked connectors (Regency), and the Malloren series, which are Georgian.

Stephanie Laurens used to be good, but her books get more and more rubbish (the same plot over and over again) the longer she goes on writing. I'd definitely recommend the early books in the Cynster series - Devil's Bride is the first one - but be prepared for the drop in quality!
    Forum Member
    Jo Beverley and Mary Balogh are far more serious in tone than Julia Quinn et al, I think and although their books aren't laugh out loud funny, they are probably amongst the best writers of historicals today (the fact that both are British helps, IMO)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all this info! :-)

I've just read two Amanda Quick novels. I have to say I didn't find them very humourous but perhaps I picked the wrong ones?

I do adore Julia Quinn's sense of fun.

I have read a lot of Mary Balogh. She is indeed a fab writer.

I think I will try Jo Beverley next. even if they are serious. I have never read anything by her. Which ones are the best?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    suzzle wrote: »
    Thanks for all this info! :-)

I think I will try Jo Beverley next. even if they are serious. I have never read anything by her. Which ones are the best?

All of them! I have a personal soft-spot for the Malloren series, set in Georgian England, starting with My Lady Notorious.
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear that you didn't find the Amanda Quick particularly funny. I think some of her earlier titles (Reckless, Mistress, Affair and Deception) were possibly funnier than others.

I forgot to mention two other Regency writers who write in a similar style to Quinn: Elizabeth Boyle (who Quinn praises) and Lynsay Sands. They may be worth a look.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that you didn't find the Amanda Quick particularly funny. I think some of her earlier titles (Reckless, Mistress, Affair and Deception) were possibly funnier than others.

I forgot to mention two other Regency writers who write in a similar style to Quinn: Elizabeth Boyle (who Quinn praises) and Lynsay Sands. They may be worth a look.

Thanks Ravensborough - I did enjoy them!

I will also try those you recommend. :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read Summer Campaign and Reforming Lord Ragsdale by Carla kelly. She is an AMAZING author. Loved them both.
    (I'd previously read a book by her with the uinlikey title of Mrs Drew Plays her Hand which was just incredible.)

I love books!!! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doihaveto wrote: »
    All of them! I have a personal soft-spot for the Malloren series, set in Georgian England, starting with My Lady Notorious.

Thanks everyone who recommended Jo Beverley! :)

I jave just read Malloren 1, My Lady Notorious! Fantastic book. Have now moved on to the second one. There has been some quite witty banter in this which is one of my favourite things so it's very promising so far!
    Forum Member
    Jo Beverley and Mary Balogh, in my opinion, are the two best writers of historical romance today. I enjoy Quinn and similar writers, but I like JB and MB's books as I love how history is not just wallpaper in their stories, but an important part of the story. It's proper historical romance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo Beverley and Mary Balogh, in my opinion, are the two best writers of historical romance today. I enjoy Quinn and similar writers, but I like JB and MB's books as I love how history is not just wallpaper in their stories, but an important part of the story. It's proper historical romance.

I love the way Julia Quinn works relationships though. There's something very sweet about the way her characters come together and her sense of humour is just sublime! I think Sebastian Gray was my all time hero!

One thing I've noticed about the two Jo Beverley books I've read is that the main characters seem to be entrenched in conflict, strife and misunderstandings which I personally find a bit frustrating. Also not a fan of the heroes who "force" their attentions on the heroine until they "give in" to the inevitable. Still, they have some strong positives and I really enjoyed the "Masqueraders" type storyline in the first one, where Chastity was dressed as a man and Cyn as a woman. That was fun!
    Forum Member
    I love Julia Quinn's sense of humour and her books are hilarious (I kept getting funny looks when I was laughing out loud reading Minx on the bus), but I love the richly woven history in Jo Beverley's books. She really makes history come alive, as opposed to Quinn where her books could be set in any era.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've just read Mine Till Midnight - Lisa Kleypas. (Yes, it's a terrible title!)

I thought it was FAN-TASTIC! Has to go into my top 5. Really good mix of humour and mystery and romance. I loved Cam Rohan. What a wonderful character!
    Brilliant book. Thanks for recommending!! :)
    Forum Member
    I'm pleased you liked the Lisa Kleypas. I loved Mine till Midnight and she's another favourite writer of historicals.

My favourite of hers is the Wallflowers series - Secrets of A Summer Night, It Happened One Autumn, Scandal in the Spring and the Devil in Winter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pleased you liked the Lisa Kleypas. I loved Mine till Midnight and she's another favourite writer of historicals.

My favourite of hers is the Wallflowers series - Secrets of A Summer Night, It Happened One Autumn, Scandal in the Spring and the Devil in Winter.

I'm on the last of the Wallflowers now. It is a lovely series - I think I liked Evie's story best. Still think MTM would be very very hard to beat! :)

Just wondered what your top 5 favourites are (Any author) as we seem to like similar books?
    Forum Member
    suzzle wrote: »
    I'm on the last of the Wallflowers now. It is a lovely series - I think I liked Evie's story best. Still think MTM would be very very hard to beat! :)

Just wondered what your top 5 favourites are (Any author) as we seem to like similar books?

I've so many favourites, I could be here all week naming them all! :D;)

For historical romances, I'd say my favourite are Julia Quinn, Amanda Quick (early ones especially), Eloisa James, Nicola Cornick, Candace Camp, Christina Dodd, Mary Balogh and Jo Beverley. I also dip into Mills and Boon Historical Romance as there are good writers there.

For contemporary romance/women's fiction, I like Katie Fforde, Christina Jones, Sue Moorcroft, Jill Mansell, Trisha Ashley, Kate Thompson and Marian Keyes.