Home Cinema System Advice

I'm looking to get a Home Cinema System but I can't make my mind up between the PHILIPS HTS2500 5.1Ch DVD Home Cinema System or the LG HT306SF 5.1Ch DVD Home Cinema System as they both look good value for money but I can't find any info on whether they take digital Audio in from other devices as I'd want to connect it up to my Humax Foxsat-HDR Freesat PVR to get the full surround sound from the HD channels that ooutput Dolby Digital or if they only do 2.0 via Red/White Audio cables?

Roland

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Using the usual rule of thumb that if the specs do not mention something then it is not included or supported then neither of those devices accept digitial audio over an optical connection which is what you need.

TBH at that price range I would expect them to sound cheap and nasty and personally would rather spend the money on a decent mini / midi stereo system to playback the TV / PVR audio. If you already have a stereo then use that.

Looking at Richer Sounds this is the cheapest 5.1 system (which includes an optical input) that I would even bother going to listen to:-

http://www.richersounds.com/product/1-box-home-cinema-systems/pioneer/bcs212/pion-bcs212-blk
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Using the usual rule of thumb that if the specs do not mention something then it is not included or supported then neither of those devices accept digitial audio over an optical connection which is what you need.

TBH at that price range I would expect them to sound cheap and nasty and personally would rather spend the money on a decent mini / midi stereo system to playback the TV / PVR audio. If you already have a stereo then use that.

Would this one be a better bet, I don't know if the Digital Coaxial Input is for the DVD to the speaker or if it's for external devices, I'm a bit techy but I've never delved into Home Cinema before so I'm a bit of a noob?

Roland
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    What digital coaxial input? :confused:

It has a digital optical input which is the more common way of connecting digital audio these days.

As you have bought a premium product PVR and presumably have a similar quality TV to match why are you skimping on the audio side of things?

But if you are really budget limited and really want a full 5.1 surround sound then have a look round you local cash converter shop. Go at a quiet time and audition anything you are interested in to make sure it works as it should and sounds acceptable. In fact listen before you buy is the best advice you will get.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Those systems you linked to Include DVD players, are you wanting to add a DVD player as well as a sound system or are you just wanting a sound system for your exsisting equipment, if it's the latter there are systems that are more suited.

All in one systems are not very flexible, inputs are limited. IMO you would be better off with a separate amp and speakers, not only do they come with a good array of inputs they tend to be better made and have better sound quality. If you require a DVD player you can pick a stand alone up for peanuts theses days, even bluray is now more affordable.

Have you a budget in mind, there a few good entry model systems I feel would be much better value than those you have mentioned.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It has a digital optical input which is the more common way of connecting digital audio these days.

It is just a coaxial version of optical. They both use S/PDIF and are identical except for the physical/electrical/optical interface. A lot of kit has both interfaces.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As you have bought a premium product PVR and presumably have a similar quality TV to match why are you skimping on the audio side of things?

But if you are really budget limited and really want a full 5.1 surround sound then have a look round you local cash converter shop. Go at a quiet time and audition anything you are interested in to make sure it works as it should and sounds acceptable. In fact listen before you buy is the best advice you will get.

The Comet Spec says it has a Digital Coax Input and no Optical Digital Input. So I'm now even more :confused: as to what type of S/PDIF connection the system has got.

Roland
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rolandh wrote: »
    The Comet Spec says it has a Digital Coax Input and no Optical Digital Input. So I'm now even more :confused: as to what type of S/PDIF connection the system has got.

Roland
    What system are you talking about now? No-one has linked to a Comet webpage as far as I can see. Or did you mean to in your previous post?

Both Optical and Coaxial Digital can be SPDIF. The only difference is one is pulses of light and the other is pulses of electricity. They both carry the same information.

Conversion from one to the other is easy. So it makes little odds if one bit of kit has optical outs and the other coaxial ins (or vice versa). You just stick an appropriate converter box between the two.
    Forum Member
    What audio outputs have you got on the Humax/freeview pvr?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Those systems you linked to Include DVD players, are you wanting to add a DVD player as well as a sound system or are you just wanting a sound system for your exsisting equipment, if it's the latter there are systems that are more suited.

All in one systems are not very flexible, inputs are limited. IMO you would be better off with a separate amp and speakers, not only do they come with a good array of inputs they tend to be better made and have better sound quality. If you require a DVD player you can pick a stand alone up for peanuts theses days, even bluray is now more affordable.

Have you a budget in mind, there a few good entry model systems I feel would be much better value than those you have mentioned.

I've got an old DVD/VCR Combi what wife got before we got married that now only gets used for DVDs and a new DVD player would be a nice bonus as it would mean 1 less mains lead in the extension.

My budget is the £99.00-£100.00 range, might be able to go a few £1 over but not too much more.

Roland
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    What system are you talking about now? No-one has linked to a Comet webpage as far as I can see. Or did you mean to in your previous post?

Both Optical and Coaxial Digital can be SPDIF. The only difference is one is pulses of light and the other is pulses of electricity. They both carry the same information.

Conversion from one to the other is easy. So it makes little odds if one bit of kit has optical outs and the other coaxial ins (or vice versa). You just stick an appropriate converter box between the two.

I was talking about the Comet link in my previous post, sorry for the confusion I knew what I was talking about but forgot to mention it.

Roland
    Forum Member
    I've got an old DVD/VCR Combi what wife got before we got married that now only gets used for DVDs and a new DVD player would be a nice bonus as it would mean 1 less mains lead in the extension.

My budget is the £99.00-£100.00 range, might be able to go a few £1 over but not too much more.

Roland
    You may struggle finding an all in one system with the inputs you require for £100.

I have a feeling you will need to up the budget.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was talking about the Comet link in my previous post, sorry for the confusion I knew what I was talking about but forgot to mention it.

Roland
    But what system? There are no Comet links in any post on this thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What audio outputs have you got on the Humax/freeview pvr?

It's a Humax Freesat PVR and its got Optical Digital S/PDIF and RCA Analogue Audio.

Roland
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    But what system? There are no Comet links in any post on this thread.

Ooops I did the post but forgot to add the link here it is.
    Forum Member
    Looks ok, you'd just need an optical to coaxial converter.

Whether it will decode 5.1 from an external source I wouldn't know, some do some don't. Normally the 5.1 decoding is just for the DVD side of the system.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Panasonic themselves that unit has NO digital audio input. Unless you count the Audio Return Channel on the HDMI output for the telly.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/Home+Entertainment/DVD+Home+Cinema/SC-XH50/Specification/7296282/index.html?trackInfo=true

And the manual makes no mention of any Digital input separate to the HDMI either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may struggle finding an all in one system with the inputs you require for £100.

I have a feeling you will need to up the budget.

What is the cheapest I can expect to pay for an all in one system, or even a complete dedicated Home Theater System Amp/Speakers?

Roland
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would this one be perfect? As I might be able to convince wife of the expense.

Roland
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just seen this one and the panasonic site backs up the comet spec and at £129.99 from £179.99 it seems good value for money if it'll do what I want.

Roland
    Forum Member
    I've just seen this one and the panasonic site backs up the comet spec and at £129.99 from £179.99 it seems good value for money if it'll do what I want.

Roland

Just checked the online manual and it does look to do what you want. It has 1xoptical which you can connect a stb (cab/sat/BD) to it, it also looks as if it will give 5.1 when available.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checked the online manual and it does look to do what you want. It has 1xoptical which you can connect a stb (cab/sat/BD) to it, it also looks as if it will give 5.1 when available.

I think it also plays TV sound through it using the HDMI Audio Channel Return as well.

Just now got to convince the wife that it's worth the out lay.

Roland
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it also plays TV sound through it using the HDMI Audio Channel Return as well.

Just now got to convince the wife that it's worth the out lay.

Roland
    It will only do ARC if the TV supports ARC. Which not all do as it is a fairly recent addition to the HDMI spec. So worth checking the TV manual.