The Hobbit....so Excited

Comments

• performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Yay it is being shown at the HFR in Southampton :)http://www.odeon.co.uk/fanatic/film/hobbit_HFR

PJ

ETA I don't get why it says only for certain performances. I would have thought all IMAX showings would be at HFR. Maybe they mean not in smaller screens in same multiplex.

There will only be 24fps for IMAX. They're not producing 48fps IMAX prints.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    no reviews yet ?

Has anyone seen it? I don't think there's a UK screening for a few weeks yet! I've got a press screening but I think it's the 5th so it's a while away yet!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Guild screening screening on Saturday, Critics on Monday and reviews should follow after....
    Forum Member
    jalal wrote: »
    Guild screening screening on Saturday, Critics on Monday and reviews should follow after....

Holy moley it's already the 29th of November! Thanks for reminding me! It's not weeks away at all!!! :o
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There will only be 24fps for IMAX. They're not producing 48fps IMAX prints.

There are 48fps IMAX copies (not "prints" as they're digital, not film. Any film prints will be 24fps by default), it seems Manchester, Sheffield and Nottingham will be the only places showing it, all the other IMAXs in the country look like they're 24fps, whether film or digital. Even the BFI IMAX in London looks like it's only going to be 24fps. The whole thing seems to be down to Warner Brothers rather than the cinema chains themselves though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    A TV spot featuring Smaug will be released soon. It's already aired on US TV.
  • MariesamMariesam Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    I don't like 3D as it doesn't add much extra to a film and you get charged more then it's worth. Not to mention if you have eye issues like me it's a pain and the glasses makes the movie even darker. It's just a superfluous fad it seems to me just to get some extra money out of people.
    Worse it makes it harder to find the movie in a 2D showing at the cinema. I was forced to watch Dredd in 3D as my local cinema had no showings at all in 2D. I was certainly not the only person struggling to find a non 3D showing anywhere.

As to The Hobbit. I keep checking my local Vue every week now to see when the first showing is. I am so going to watch it the day it's released.

to try to ease your worries ....Peter Jackson himself has said that 3D in 48fps will reduce eye strain (not sure if thats your problem) and its 'easier to watch'....I know the odeon have a menu system where you can say what screening you want to see and it shows the cinemas avaiable to watch them in that format....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBFC have rated now. 12A, as expected http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/hobbit-unexpected-journey-2012-2
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    The BBFC have rated now. 12A, as expected http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/hobbit-unexpected-journey-2012-2

id have been surprised if it got any higher than that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was wondering if it might have got a PG, seeing as they're saying it's lighter than LOTR, and the first of those was a PG too.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariesam wrote: »
    to try to ease your worries ....Peter Jackson himself has said that 3D in 48fps will reduce eye strain (not sure if thats your problem) and its 'easier to watch'....I know the odeon have a menu system where you can say what screening you want to see and it shows the cinemas avaiable to watch them in that format....

My nearest cinema is the Vue. I've accepted unless I travel beyond my comfort zone I'm going to deal with the 3D. My problem is a lazy eye from being a child. It does make it slightly difficult to tell if I'm catching the 3D or not. But from past experience I know it's possible. Just thankful the new glasses allow me to. If you went with those old style 3D glasses with the red and blue on opposite eyes then I would stand no chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vue now have started listing HFR locations: http://www.myvue.com/latest-movies/info/film/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-3d-hfr

Only have 4 cinemas (Bristol, Exeter, Plymouth and Swansea) in the list as I type this, but I presume they're going to be adding more.
  • mwardymwardy Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are 48fps IMAX copies (not "prints" as they're digital, not film. Any film prints will be 24fps by default), it seems Manchester, Sheffield and Nottingham will be the only places showing it

The Manchester Printworks is a so-called Grand Theatre and is film based. But the film version is still able to run at 48fps.

Can't wait, personally! :)
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Film might not have "pixels", but when compared with the current HD standard of 1080p, film does indeed have a far higher overall comparable resolution in terms of visual information that is on the screen.

That's absolutely correct. I totally agree :) I was just really moaning at the web pedants who have to pick on every little thing you say... :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mwardy wrote: »
    The Manchester Printworks is a so-called Grand Theatre and is film based. But the film version is still able to run at 48fps.

That's actually not the case. The Manchester cinema has both a film and digital projector- the 48fps stuff will be coming off the digital projector. The FAQ released by the studio (and it is on the Odeon website) explicitly states 48fps is a digital format too.

Besides, think how much film would be needed to show a 3 hour long IMAX film at 48fps. Would it even fit inside the projection booth?
    Forum Member
    The Smaug TV spot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V_ZT6NGd2k&list=UUHgCiVjYBHG6-tHjGQ8MsZQ

Also confirms my earlier theory. The Battle of Azanulbizar will feature.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's actually not the case. The Manchester cinema has both a film and digital projector- the 48fps stuff will be coming off the digital projector. The FAQ released by the studio (and it is on the Odeon website) explicitly states 48fps is a digital format too.

Besides, think how much film would be needed to show a 3 hour long IMAX film at 48fps. Would it even fit inside the projection booth?

yeah, that's correct they had a IMAX digital projector added to the setup this year
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As did the BFI IMAX in London- though it looks like they won't be showing the 48fps version, which is pissing off a lot of people!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As did the BFI IMAX in London- though it looks like they won't be showing the 48fps version, which is pissing off a lot of people!

Personally i suspect its down to the amount of copies IMAX have been able to use with Warners permission
    Forum Member
    Cineworld impressions:
    Cineworld BOLTON ‏@CineworldBolton

Just watched about 20 minutes of 3D 48fps HFR footage (including The Hobbit) trailer. Clearer, sharper and more life like than anything...

...I've ever seen. It takes a bit of getting used to, about 5 minutes should do it. You can actually see what 'higher frame rate' actually..

..means, as at first it appears almost speeded up until you realise what you're actually seeing it a true life like image. Incredible!

@Shawky1969 Yes, I think majority of public won't know about 48fps and will not enjoy it. Too much like TV/Video
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Smaug TV spot

Cam-recording warning!

Not watching that!
  • Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Smaug TV spot

Yay! Dwarves rock!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like the BFI IMAX have confirmed they'll be showing The Hobbit from a 15/70 film print- and therefore only at 24fps, which seems to have annoyed a lot of people who expected they were getting the best from booking supposedly one of the best cinemas in the country (including my sister's boyfriend- who told me he expected 48fps considering how much it cost him). I can see them having to give out a lot of refunds.

Also, Vue are adding more and more HFR locations to their list, I'm guessing it's still not complete: http://www.myvue.com/latest-movies/info/film/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-3d-hfr . Still waiting on Cineworld now!
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like Southampton are not showing it at all in IMAX 3D but if you look at their website it looks like it does. This misinformation is just not good enough. Surprised Vue at Portsmouth aren't showing it at HFR as they have two massive screens, one with THX sound which is the only one I know of on the south coast. P

PJ
  • bruce9651bruce9651 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Empire cinema in Poole are showing it in HFR 3d