Greys Anatomy Season 9 (US Pace)

Comments

• PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I called Webber being the one with an unknown fate as soon as Cristina said "you made me a better Dr"... Really hope he's not dead, I love the chief (he'll always be chief to me) and I would really miss him.

Arizona might have all these issues with Callie (and I agree about Callie acting as if she was on the plane, its about time someone called her out on that) but none of that excuses cheating on her, I hope Calzona are done for the forseeable future now.

Finally a season finale where Alex gets a happy ending! I don't like Jo and I think its all going to go horribly wrong but I'm glad Alex has some happiness for now.

Everything to do with McBaby's birth was perfection... I do like the name Bailey but if Webber dies I can see them putting Richard in his name somewhere given that he's Mer's fake daddy and Der's long time friend/mentor.

I'm so proud of Cristina for walking away from Owen... She loves him enough to know that she can never make him truly happy, and I'm really glad that she didn't change her mind on the kids issue.

I'm indifferent to Japril but I'm glad Jackson didn't die.

On a very shallow note, I hope Ben gets made a regular next season - he's such a hottie.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The actor's departure from the show has yet to be confirmed, where as Chyler Leigh's departure was announced the same night when she died

Would be gutted to see the chief go. His scenes with Miranda and Meredith are lovely. He has worked with Miranda for decades and she will feel so guilty as treating him like crap, plus he was pretty much a father to Meredith.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    did anyone look to see if he was breathing? I tried to see, but couldn't tell...

of course, they 'could' still find him in time?
  • natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im trying to convince myself that Richard isnt dead cos I would be gutted if he is :cry::cry: but I have to say I called something had happened to him about 30 seconds before the reveal as I thought there had been too much of him being a great doctor & mentor to everyone :cry:

I loved everything else about the episode even seeing Jo & Alex get together (Im not a fan) and I was soooo glad baby Bailey was born healthy surely not even Shonda could have messed with that :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The actor's departure from the show has yet to be confirmed, where as Chyler Leigh's departure was announced the same night when she died

Would be gutted to see the chief go. His scenes with Miranda and Meredith are lovely. He has worked with Miranda for decades and she will feel so guilty as treating him like crap, plus he was pretty much a father to Meredith.

You've just reminded me of how awful/inconsistent the timeline is on Grey's... In the flashback episode (season 6) it very clearly shows Richard & Miranda meeting for the first time in 2003. In season 2 (2005) Miranda & Tucker celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary; yet when Bailey and Ben were planning their wedding Richard said that he was at Miranda's first wedding.

I know its a minor thing but there are so many timeline inconsistencies in Grey's that I think Shonda should just stop mentioning any concept of time on the show.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it underwhelming, I though a better character would have bit the dust like Callie or Derek.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I predict season 10 will be the last. Shonda has said she won't end it, but ABC are the ones who have the final say.
  • Otis HillOtis Hill Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    You've just reminded me of how awful/inconsistent the timeline is on Grey's... In the flashback episode (season 6) it very clearly shows Richard & Miranda meeting for the first time in 2003. In season 2 (2005) Miranda & Tucker celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary; yet when Bailey and Ben were planning their wedding Richard said that he was at Miranda's first wedding.

I know its a minor thing but there are so many timeline inconsistencies in Grey's that I think Shonda should just stop mentioning any concept of time on the show.

I agree. I think that the reason the timeline is so inconsistent is that seasons 1-3 all took place in the same year (2004 i assume) so that would mean that the current year in Grey's timeline is 2010? but Mark's death was listed as 196?-2012 so that would imply they are now in 2013
  • Otis HillOtis Hill Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesnt matter if he is listed or not, its a simple DNA test to see if he is her father.

Secondly - she would know he was dead, as Callie would have told her

AND..............

why are people still spoilering? its been shown on US tv, this is a US tv pace thread, I didnt come and see until I had watched it..?

BIB - I never said she wouldnt know he had died. What i said was that they were awarded the money long after Mark's death so Sloan may never have been aware of it. I doubt Callie keeps in touch with her. Also just because Mark was the biological father does not mean he was the legal father. For example if Meredith and derek did Zola would be entitled to an equal share of their wealth along with their biological child, however if Zola's birth parents left behind a fortune when they died zola couldnt claim it since she is no longer their child in the eyes of the law (all hypothetical because i think zola was an african orphan)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Otis Hill wrote: »
    I agree. I think that the reason the timeline is so inconsistent is that seasons 1-3 all took place in the same year (2004 i assume) so that would mean that the current year in Grey's timeline is 2010? but Mark's death was listed as 196?-2012 so that would imply they are now in 2013

Seasons 1-3 were 1 year and seasons 4-5 were 1 year... By the end of season 5 MAGIC were finishing their 2nd year at SGH.

However the flashback episode said that Bailey was an intern in 2003 and we know she was a fifth year resident when the show started... Which would put the year at 2007 when the show started and that would match up with the date on Mark's death.

But the date of the Calzona wedding in the video during Mark's death episode was 2009 even though it took place at the end of season 7 (aired in 2011) as MAGIC were finishing their 4th year... That was a year before the plane crash and would put the starting date at 2005 (when the show began airing) but would make Bailey's intern year and Mark's death date wrong.

Also when Alex signed his divorce papers around the middle of season 6 they said December 2009 on them and that was about a year before Calzona's wedding.

And the Syrian Dr stuff from this season would suggest that they're in 2013 now, so I'm 99% certain that the MAGIC intern year was set in 2007.

None of which changes the fact that Bailey celebrated her 10th wedding anniversary in her fifth year of residency so was married 5 years before she ever met Richard, so there was no way he attended her first wedding and bough her a toaster(?) as stated in season 9 :p

I know its me being pedantic but the timeline stuff bugs me... Shonda needs to pick a timeline and stick to it OR stop mentioning dates on the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Otis Hill wrote: »
    BIB - I never said she wouldnt know he had died. What i said was that they were awarded the money long after Mark's death so Sloan may never have been aware of it. I doubt Callie keeps in touch with her. Also just because Mark was the biological father does not mean he was the legal father. For example if Meredith and derek did Zola would be entitled to an equal share of their wealth along with their biological child, however if Zola's birth parents left behind a fortune when they died zola couldnt claim it since she is no longer their child in the eyes of the law (all hypothetical because i think zola was an african orphan)

I do agree, I just wish someone had at least mentioned Sloan in the aftermath of Mark's death... Actually I wish someone had mentioned her even once since she left, like maybe when her little sister was born or even just had Mark say he was going to call her at some point - any point - to see how she was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are people getting the seasons 1-3 in one year thing? Was that made official?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Where are people getting the seasons 1-3 in one year thing? Was that made official?

They sat their intern test at the end of season 3... The intern test is sat at the end of the intern year which they started in season 1.

Same as with seasons 4 & 5, Lexie became an intern in season 4 and became a 2nd year at the start of season 6 therefore those 2 seasons were 1 year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They sat their intern test at the end of season 3... The intern test is sat at the end of the intern year which they started in season 1.

Same as with seasons 4 & 5, Lexie became an intern in season 4 and became a 2nd year at the start of season 6 therefore those 2 seasons were 1 year.

Wow, so much happened in one year!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Wow, so much happened in one year!

It really did... The Izzie/Denny relationship could only have been a few weeks long when you think about everything that happened before and after.

And with Cristina/Burke they met, started dating, broke up, got back together, moved in, Burke got shot, they did the tremor cover-up, they got engaged, planned their wedding and then broke up all in 1 year.

The amount that happened in that 1 year (including Bailey's whole pregnancy in just a few episodes) is another example of where the timeline doesn't really fit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, i had no idea about seasons 1-3. That was one hell of a year.

How do you know this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, i had no idea about seasons 1-3. That was one hell of a year.

How do you know this?

They became interns at the start of season 1, they sat their intern test towards the end of season 3... Therefore 1 year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, if you work backwards from this season...

Season 9, first year as attending/fellows after their 5 year residency = 6th year at SGH
    Season 8, regularly mentioned it was their 5th year = 5th year at SGH
    Season 7, the fight for cheif resident takes place = 4th year at SGH
    Season 6, Lexie is referred to as a 2nd year on a few occasions and she's a year behind MAGIC = 3rd year at SGH
    Season 5, George and Lexie both still interns = 2nd year at SGH
    Season 4, George started his intern year over again = 2nd year at SGH
    Season 3, MAGIC sit their intern test = 1st year at SGH
    Season 2, MAGIC referred to as interns through Bailey pregnancy, bomb incident, LVADgate = 1st year at SGH
    Season 1, MAGIC begin their intern year = 1st year at SGH
  • natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, if you work backwards from this season...

Season 9, first year as attending/fellows after their 5 year residency = 6th year at SGH
    Season 8, regularly mentioned it was their 5th year = 5th year at SGH
    Season 7, the fight for cheif resident takes place = 4th year at SGH
    Season 6, Lexie is referred to as a 2nd year on a few occasions and she's a year behind MAGIC = 3rd year at SGH
    Season 5, George and Lexie both still interns = 2nd year at SGH
    Season 4, George started his intern year over again = 2nd year at SGH
    Season 3, MAGIC sit their intern test = 1st year at SGH
    Season 2, MAGIC referred to as interns through Bailey pregnancy, bomb incident, LVADgate = 1st year at SGH
    Season 1, MAGIC begin their intern year = 1st year at SGH

Thanks for this it helps in trying to sort out the timeline although it took me a while to work out what MAGIC meant before I realised it was the interns names :D

I've just starting rewatching Greys from the beginning so it'll be interesting to pick up on when the year is actually mentioned & when it's not!!
  • gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the Meredith/ Derek baby scenes were great in the finale, Ellen Pompeo was fab. I'm just glad that the family had a happy ending and nothing was left hanging in the balance for them. I thought they would name the baby after someone who had died like George or Mark but naming him Bailey was pretty sweet.

Found more love for Cristina in this episode, she ended her happiness with Owen for the sake of his happiness. I hope that really is the end of their relationship now as it has been so on and off for years, it's time for them both to move on now.

I wish April and Jackson would just decide to be together or not as that has been over a season of them being undecided. I think she is very sweet with Matthew, but there's something extra there with Jackson.

I am gutted that Arizona cheated on Callie, they are my favourite couple, and I really thought they had eventually come through the plane crash. I did love the scene it led to though and am glad Arizona's feelings finally came out. The acting was super. I hope they have some great storylines coming up next season, but I can't imagine them not being a couple any more. Although I hate what Hilarie Burton's character has done to Calzona, I think she has been a great addition to the cast and I'd love to see her stick around next season.

I can't see Richard being dead, I think I'm trying to convince myself he isn't dead. He has been a cast member for too long and such an important part of the hospital that I can't see his exit being a scene which last a few seconds of him lying having been electrocuted. I think he must at least be in the opening episode of season 10, even if he i going, because he needs a better send of than that.

Are there any characters at the moment who have relationships with someone out with the hospital? I know it makes good drama if you know both characters in the relationship, but it would be nice to have someone just talking about their relationship and their partner popping in from time to time and not being a regular as Greys seems overloaded with relationships between its staff at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    it was all very contrived and OTT. Meredith giving instructions on her own surgery lying on the operating table before she passed out, Baileys retuning to surgery to save Meredith and Jacksons walking from the fire and Aprils realisation soooo OTT.

All OTT in a glorious soap sense, where you could imagine the writers just having fun with outlandish. Not enough of that on TV anymore. Fab episode!
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Great episode even if totally over the top and unrealistic .!! I was exhausted after it . Sad about Richard but was so relieved it wasnt Meredith .
    But God I hate Arizona this season , I hate what she did and I hate how she twists it all around to be Callies fault . She wants to have suffered more than Callie and be the martyr ?
    Come on Jackson , take her and run !! I want him to love April and skip off in the sunset with her
    I love Baileys husband , such a good friend and a good man , just wish Bailey can relax now
    Alex and Jo ? Not sure , both damaged goods and all mixed up .
    I miss Teddy and Mark this season too the new interns leave me cold .
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up on the last few episodes and watched the last one earlier on. Did remind me a bit of the end of Season 3 where Rhimes said she wanted to "tear everything down", but I suppose with the baby being born and Alex and Jo getting together, there was at least some good news. Good episode overall though.

Really hope Richard isn't dead as well. Him and Miranda are certainly the heart and soul of the hospital.

I was pleased Alex got a happy ending as well. I think they could easily do a lot more with the character by letting him be happy for a while - no real reason to split him and Jo up as far as I can see.

I really, really don't like Shane the intern. Really don't like him :)
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really, really don't like Shane the intern. Really don't like him :)
    :) He's defn someone I wouldn't trust to operate on me. He comes across as having NO confidence in his skills whatsoever. Or at least he has done in the last few eps.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    :) He's defn someone I wouldn't trust to operate on me. He comes across as having NO confidence in his skills whatsoever. Or at least he has done in the last few eps.

He comes across as a cross between someone who's utterly terrified of everything and a complete sycophant at the same time.