Who do you think would be good to represent UK?

Comments

• SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ Ah, Marina could get us a few points from Greece!

That would not be justification though for ever picking Dappy, Tulisa or Peter Andre!
  • claire800claire800 Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Heard a whisper its Jane McDonald.
    Watched her on loose women yesterday she does make a song her own.
  • newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    I would like Nell Bryden to do it. She's a serious singer-songwriter, has written some great tunes, plays guitar and sings brilliantly with a voice slightly reminiscent of Annie Lennox. She's had a little bit of success but deserves to be much bigger than she is.

And, since I imagine that we need a UK writer in the mix (Nell is American), I would like Gary Barlow to co-write the song with her. Gary Barlow is a long time supporter so I'd like to think he'd help her out. I tweeted Nell and Gary the idea last year. Nell retweeted it. Gary didn't. :-/
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The girl who sings this Maiday would be an amazing choice.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHKTQcDfv9A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouHKsxKXaO8

Or possibly 5ive they'd be relatively known across Europe.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire800 wrote: »

that'd be a great idea if the Copenhagen show was being broadcast from a cruise ship instead of an old shipyard!
  • mikabvmikabv Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marlon Roudette or Alex Hepburn would both do well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Mcdonald?! We'd be better off sending Victoria Wood's pisstake of her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    Jane Mcdonald?! We'd be better off sending Victoria Wood's pisstake of her.

Luckily for us, she'll still be on tour during ESC rehearsals week, so that rules her out.
    http://www.jane-mcdonald.com/page50.html

Talk about a lucky escape! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroChris wrote: »
    Luckily for us, she'll still be on tour during ESC rehearsals week, so that rules her out.
    http://www.jane-mcdonald.com/page50.html

Talk about a lucky escape! :D

Worth posting them all the same :D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5fxcP9d6I4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wkAa3UdC60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnoD3VQui44
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Brovaz have been trending on twitter for days, could see them being considered if we had an NF wouldn't be their first time either.
  • thaliafanthaliafan Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big Brovaz would be cool! But sadly, Europe is not a fan of urban or RnB music.

I think we need to include as much of the following:
    Somebody young(ish)
    modern sound
    synthesisers
    an "okay voice" (stage school standard!)
    drum machine
    big choreography
    upbeat sound and positive message
    easy uninspired lyrics

What we don't need is:
    Somebody "past it"
    "credible music" (in the BBC's eyes)
    real instruments
    rock or urban genre
    no rapping
    Arlene Phillips choreography
    tricky lyrics

In my eyes who would perfect:
    Sophie Ellis Bextor
    Natasha Hamilton
    McBusted (I'll allow them guitars!)
    Marina and the Diamonds
    Pixie Lott
    Anybody signed to AATW

I'm sure they would all say yes! Who agrees?
  • Tony_BrooksTony_Brooks Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    Doesn't really matter does it, I would suggest however that we take the unmerciless pee out of the whole partisan beanfeast with a specially written song to be sung by a punk band to the tune of "We can work it out", perhaps entitled "We don't give a toss".
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rylan 2014 :P
  • Alan_ColeAlan_Cole Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping that the BBC will have at least learnt something from the last couple of years and enter somebody thats more up to date, current...I've heard a couple of rumours that it could be Geri Halliwell, and i've got everything crossed that it will only remain a rumour and nothing will come of it.
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thaliafan wrote: »
    Ah, they were my favourite in 2007 (was living in the UK at the time) :blush:

And most of Europe isn't a fan or rock/metal either, but that hasn't stopped it doing (relatively) well on occasion ;)
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I reckon an act like the Overtones might be the next move for the BBC.

They surely can't try yet another Golden Oldie for 2014?
  • cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thaliafan wrote: »

Read: black *cough*JessyMatador*cough*.

All I want from our act in 2014 is that they don't get a free bus pass.
  • EuanDesuEuanDesu Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eleni C with Leap of Faith!
  • Chris_HobbsChris_Hobbs Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's face it. We are hardly going to get anyone really famous like Adele or One Direction. I'm surprised we got Bonnie Tyler considering she is still well known.

Therefore I am going to do with Jade Ewen. With a good song like the following link she could do well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONffpcRLLM0
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ It was a great achievement that Jade came fifth. I think it would kind of ruin that if she were to take part in the contest again and do worse the second time.
  • Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    Ah, they were my favourite in 2007 (was living in the UK at the time) :blush:

And most of Europe isn't a fan or rock/metal either, but that hasn't stopped it doing (relatively) well on occasion ;)

Norway and Sweden have huge death mental scenes, British and American rock acts have always done commercially well in continental Europe as well.
  • Chris_HobbsChris_Hobbs Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    ^ It was a great achievement that Jade came fifth. I think it would kind of ruin that if she were to take part in the contest again and do worse the second time.

That is true. The problem with Jade is that other than Eurovision and a few hits with Sugababes she has hardly been recognized as an artist. I enjoyed 'My Man' and her debut album may have been great but it never got released due to her joining the Sugababes which basically died in 2011.

I think Eurovision could easily reboot her as a singer. Chiara Siracusa who represented Malta in 1998, 2005, and 2009 is proof that you can return and do well or bad.

In 1998 she came 3rd. In 2005 she came 2nd. Proof in itself that you can return and do better then your previous attempt.

Granted in 2009 she did not do as well as her previous attempts (she came 22nd) but that was a tough year as quite a few songs were much better. Chiara got lost in between Moldova's dance song and Estonia's song which was much better in my opinion than Malta that year.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire800 wrote: »

Although I have nothing against Jane McDonald, do we REALLY want to be sending another older act? Neither Humperdinck or Tyler made an impact (both huge successes with Tyler having a top 10 album in a few mainland European countries just prior to Eurovision!). I'd assume that Eurovision voters just don't relate.

Send someone youngerrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyar fox
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amelia Lily would be pretty good she's kinda pop/rock depends on the song they'd give her.