Who could represent the UK in Eurovision 2014?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Well me personally, after watching the contest year after year for the last decade, even with Blue and Jade, did not think we would win the contest.

If anyone is that delusional to believe the songs we have sent in the last 10 years have been good enough to win are clearly very much in denial. Either that, or they are just plain stupid.

I believe to a certain extent that sometimes, and in some years, politics may have come into the voting. However, its really important to note that countries who 'typically' vote for each other, will always vote for one another. For example, Moldova & Romania. There are huge amounts of Romanians in Moldova, and huge amounts of Moldovans in Romania. Of course they're going to vote for one another if they would like to see there own country win, regardless of whether the song is mediocre or not.

What annoys me is that the media and general public have twised and misused the word 'politics', to make out the contest is something which it isn't. Germany wouldn't have won with Lena if that was the case.

I do believe however that there are many people in the UK who tune into this contest year after year, who don't take as much interest in the contest as what some of us would, and brand it 'political' and 'a waste of time'. Either due to them honestly believing our song was the best or due to them not liking the song that won.

A lot of people from the UK absolutely LOVE a good moan, whether its weather, TV, or transportation. They LOVE it. I for one are one of those, and do get extremely annoyed when it comes down to the voting. However, if we didn't send drivvle, then maybe we wouldn't have anything to moan about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edwin Okli wrote: »
    Link. I'm not sure that I didn't miss her performance when I watched the show. I remember her being a contestant but I never remembered her song.

Ouch! That. Is. BAD. Even Autotune wouldn't be able to fix that...
  • MikayMikay Posts: 10,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Link. I'm not sure that I didn't miss her performance when I watched the show. I remember her being a contestant but I never remembered her song.

Loving the Malena Ernman moment at 00:25!!
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another rumour guys is that it's going to be T'Pau.
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    I heard thatt Starship, Heart, Human League and Culture Club are on their wishlist..
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    I still think the main issue is the way Wogan acted in the last decade before he was removed. Recently, (to get myself in the mood for Copenhagen!) I've been rewatching some of the older contest and Wogan constantly takes the piss. He became a bitter old man. He was far more interested in insulting each of the acts (at one point he referred to the Molitva singer (Marija someone, I believe? I should remember this - my fav Eurovision song ever!) as ugly and even commented on her weight - this was AFTER it was clear she had won.

The UK came to see the contest as a joke because that is how Wogan saw it. And let's be honest, if you're watching a TV programme and the host is more interested in insulting everyone who graces the stage (well, except Ireland and the UK - he complains about neighbour voting, then isn't happy when Ireland doesn't give us 12 points!), then the average viewer is also going to think the same.

He became a sore loser, and that influenced how people saw the contest (although, as I've mentioned earlier, the British public are full of self entitlement anyway - if a persons favourite doesn't win Big Brother, or X Factor, or any other reality TV show then it's a fix. If we don't win Eurovision (despite sending crappy acts who can't sing) then it's because all the Eastern European countries vote for each other. And then when Eastern Europe doesn't win, it's because of neighbour voting, or it's all politics, or that everyone hates the UK. . If England loses at a sporting event, it's the referee. The British public can never just accept defeat and move on with it. We must always cause an issue... so that mentality doesn't help our view of the contest either.
    Steven_P wrote: »
    I agree with this as well. I remember in 2006 he talked over the songs, making snide comments, even my friends were shouting at the TV telling him to shut up as they wanted to listen to the song and not him. It's like he seemed to think the only reason why the public watched was because of him.

The said thing is he wasn't removed he went of his own accord, about 9 years too late. But once again the BBC allowed him to do this to the contest, making a fuss of him as the Eurovision King in 2009 despite the fact that he obsviously was so bitter towards it at this point.

The really good thing about Ana Matroic's commentary was she had respect for the artists and the event more so than anyone else who commentated, it was so refreshing. (and I'm saying that above my beloved Sara Cox)

Well said. I remember re-watching the 2007 contest voting with Wogan commentary, from the very first vote it was anger and bitterness that Serbia were leading the voting, with no mention of the fact that Molitva was an amazing song. In fact I don't think he praised it once. Did he honestly expect people to be voting for Scooch or something? :confused:

Molitva is still an amazing song, and one of my favourite winners.
  • MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    Well said. I remember re-watching the 2007 contest voting with Wogan commentary, from the very first vote it was anger and bitterness that Serbia were leading the voting, with no mention of the fact that Molitva was an amazing song. In fact I don't think he praised it once. Did he honestly expect people to be voting for Scooch or something? :confused:

Molitva is still an amazing song, and one of my favourite winners.

I remember watching that a couple of months ago, he was seriously sick of the contest by that point. Thank goodness for Ana, complete breath of fresh air.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    Wogan was abysmal in his last few years of commentating.

2008 was the low point. He made the usual snide comments after all the Scandinavian, Balkan, Baltic entries etc. about how 'they all vote for each other' but it was the tone of his voice that annoyed me the most. It actually sounded like he was commentating on a funeral or something. Terrible.

When the free language rule was introduced in 1999 he said it was a good thing because pop music is an 'anglophile' thing. Since when was pop music the sole reserve of the English speaking world??? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Things seem very quiet today. I honestly believe if it 'has' to be a Thursday, it will be Thurday 13th. If not, they'll drag it out till the 16th. >:(>:(>:(
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack_Unwin wrote: »
    Things seem very quiet today. I honestly believe if it 'has' to be a Thursday, it will be Thurday 13th. If not, they'll drag it out till the 16th. >:(>:(>:(

From what I understand, all BBC press releases relating to television programmes are on Thursdays. Thursday the 13th is the last Thursday it could be, as I believe the deadline set by EBU is something like 18th March.
  • Steven_PSteven_P Posts: 12,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sorry wrong thread :blush:
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I think I lasted less than a minute :o Everything about that performance was abysmal. The song itself is ok - if it was sung by someone who could sing and not someone who sounds like a set of car tyres screeching up the M6 :p
  • newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    EuroChris wrote: »
    When the free language rule was introduced in 1999 he said it was a good thing because pop music is an 'anglophile' thing. Since when was pop music the sole reserve of the English speaking world??? :confused:

It was a good thing because it was seen to put the contest on an even footing. Wogan might have simply been voicing his opinion but it was shared by some countries which felt they were at a disadvantage because they were being forced to sing in their own language. It's no coincidence that as soon as the free language rule was introduced, a much higher proportion of nations put forward an entry sung in English.

I also think Wogan gets a bit of unfair stick and that people tend to forget that during most of the years that he was presenting Eurovision as a bit of a joke, it WAS a bit of a joke. It was piss-take TV for very valid reasons. If you ask me, it's only fairly recently (maybe in the last 6 or 7 years perhaps) that Eurovision has been transformed into something else entirely (and let me tell you I have been a fan for considerably longer than this). The production values have skyrocketed but most importantly the quality of the entries has also skyrocketed. It's no longer joke telly, at all. It's actually brilliant. But, for whatever reason (and I mostly blame the BBC for this) the UK just hasn't caught on to that fact.

I understand why some staunch Eurovision fans defend the voting system but I think it is hard to deny that some issues with “friendly” voting persist. This is probably for a host of different reasons (not the “we’re hated cos of the Iraq war” thing) but all I know is that it only became really apparent when all countries started voting in the final, regardless of whether or not they had a place in the final. There are examples to support any argument, but the year that Verka Serduchka took a dreadful joke song to second place the same year that Scooch took a dreadful joke song to second last place kind of typifies my point.

These issues are ongoing but I don't really believe they affect the eventual winners anymore. The way I see it is that, nowadays, a really great song usually wins it (one of the many great songs that makes the final). All it means is that the UK has to try even harder to win votes these days and, if truth be told, we haven’t tried harder in recent years. We simply haven’t tried AT ALL. I’m not saying they have an easy job to do in turning these fortunes around but I lay the blame squarely on the shoulders of the BBC who, in spite of everything, don’t seem to have learned anything, nor do they even care particularly much.

I am ready to be surprised though and I would LOVE to see another UK win before I die. I am ever so intrigued as to what a British Eurovision would feel and look like in this day and age.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems we may have white smoke on Monday morning if the latest rumours are to be believed (that would be a similar enough time to the last two years).
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    Charlotte Churches DS Interview

"I've got lots of bits and bobs going on, some of it within television, but nothing that is concrete enough for me to talk about yet.'

Add a bit of weight to her rumour?
  • Steven_PSteven_P Posts: 12,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is I don't know how many UK public expect us to win each year I just think they want us to do well.

TBH it's a bit selfish to claim that we deserve a win again soon as we last won in 1997. There are about 40 odd countries who regularly or semi regularly enter and some have never won – and some normally can be relied upon for a quality song most years (Hungary, Bosnia etc) (I do know Bosnia are missing these days which is a shame).

I think UK audiences would be happy with a top ten rather than the dread of a bottom 5 placing. But it’s watching the contest for the last few years thinking –Our vocals are off, the song is bland etc etc that makes the uk give up in taking it seriously and then seeing the humiliation on the scoreboard prove they were right to role their eyes way back when the song was announced or during the porformance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    Charlotte Churches DS Interview

"I've got lots of bits and bobs going on, some of it within television, but nothing that is concrete enough for me to talk about yet.'

Add a bit of weight to her rumour?

"Concrete enough" implies that it could fall through. By this point (in fact, dr Eurovision reported in January) that the BBC has a concrete act.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    From what I understand, all BBC press releases relating to television programmes are on Thursdays. Thursday the 13th is the last Thursday it could be, as I believe the deadline set by EBU is something like 18th March.

No - the BBC put out press releases every day of the week, for example there was one about The Voice a few weeks ago on a Sunday. People have assumed that because Englebert was announced on a Thursday, and Bonnie was leaked on a Thursday, that Thursday is the day. Personally I don't think 2 years a pattern makes. It may of course be on a Thursday but there's probably just as much chance it will be released Monday Tuesday Wednesday or Friday. Or even on a weekend. Also Bonnie's name was leaked early so we actually have no idea what the intended day was for her announcement.

Bottom line the BBC will announce it when they want to - they won't be confined to doing it on a certain day of the week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ejc wrote: »
    No - the BBC put out press releases every day of the week, for example there was one about The Voice a few weeks ago on a Sunday. People have assumed that because Englebert was announced on a Thursday, and Bonnie was leaked on a Thursday, that Thursday is the day. Personally I don't think 2 years a pattern makes. It may of course be on a Thursday but there's probably just as much chance it will be released Monday Tuesday Wednesday or Friday. Or even on a weekend. Also Bonnie's name was leaked early so we actually have no idea what the intended day was for her announcement.

Bottom line the BBC will announce it when they want to - they won't be confined to doing it on a certain day of the week.

Actually; it had nothing to do with the Hump or Bonnie. Someone posted a link to the BBC site in the general discussion thread a few weeks back that claimed that Thursdays were the day for TV press conferences. There is a difference between a press release and press conference, though.
  • mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone started a rumour for fun saying Dannii is rumoured.

Come to think of it, it actually could be her! She hasnt signed on to anything new and has said shes working on music but needs that right song.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well according to the TV editor of the star there has been no press release yet so they must really want to keep it under wraps.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newplanet wrote: »
    It was a good thing because it was seen to put the contest on an even footing. Wogan might have simply been voicing his opinion but it was shared by some countries which felt they were at a disadvantage because they were being forced to sing in their own language. It's no coincidence that as soon as the free language rule was introduced, a much higher proportion of nations put forward an entry sung in English.

I also think Wogan gets a bit of unfair stick and that people tend to forget that during most of the years that he was presenting Eurovision as a bit of a joke, it WAS a bit of a joke. It was piss-take TV for very valid reasons. If you ask me, it's only fairly recently (maybe in the last 6 or 7 years perhaps) that Eurovision has been transformed into something else entirely (and let me tell you I have been a fan for considerably longer than this). The production values have skyrocketed but most importantly the quality of the entries has also skyrocketed. It's no longer joke telly, at all. It's actually brilliant. But, for whatever reason (and I mostly blame the BBC for this) the UK just hasn't caught on to that fact.

I understand why some staunch Eurovision fans defend the voting system but I think it is hard to deny that some issues with “friendly” voting persist. This is probably for a host of different reasons (not the “we’re hated cos of the Iraq war” thing) but all I know is that it only became really apparent when all countries started voting in the final, regardless of whether or not they had a place in the final. There are examples to support any argument, but the year that Verka Serduchka took a dreadful joke song to second place the same year that Scooch took a dreadful joke song to second last place kind of typifies my point.

These issues are ongoing but I don't really believe they affect the eventual winners anymore. The way I see it is that, nowadays, a really great song usually wins it (one of the many great songs that makes the final). All it means is that the UK has to try even harder to win votes these days and, if truth be told, we haven’t tried harder in recent years. We simply haven’t tried AT ALL. I’m not saying they have an easy job to do in turning these fortunes around but I lay the blame squarely on the shoulders of the BBC who, in spite of everything, don’t seem to have learned anything, nor do they even care particularly much.

I am ready to be surprised though and I would LOVE to see another UK win before I die. I am ever so intrigued as to what a British Eurovision would feel and look like in this day and age.

This part seems to have completely passed the British public and the BBC by alright. The recent UK entries have been quite ridiculous for a modern pop song contest......it seems everyone is still stuck with a 1970s view of Eurovision being a silly glamfest full of quite absurd and out of tune novelty acts.
  • penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ejc wrote: »

Thursdays will be new programing and new series most of the time which come with press packs which ESC will have.

2013 Thursday
    2012 Thursday
    2011 19/1 Saturday Leaked (Press conference Thursday, song Thursday to Press leaked)
    2010 29/1 Friday leaked Thursday
    2009 18/10/08 Saturday via advert, whenn announcing YCNY Thursdays
    2008 18/2 Monday
    2007 28/2 Wednesday
    2006 16/2 Thursday
    2005 04/2 Friday
    2004 04/2 Wednesday
    2003 31/1 Friday
    2002 9/1 Wednesday

It seems likely to be the second half the week.
  • mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This could be the video
    http://www.applausestore.com/book-music-video

I still think in all seriousness that it could be Matt Cardle
  • Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rebecca Ferguson is trending on Facebook due to apparently collapsing on Loose Women. I didn't know Loose Women had musical performances... Is she still one of our potential candidates?