Where to buy liquorice root sticks?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
Forum Member
Can anyone suggest where I can buy liquorice root sticks preferably offline? I'm a bit clueless where to go for them!

Comments

• Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A health shop I would have thought would stock them.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Possibly an old school sweet shop - if there are still any
  • ScratchplateScratchplate Posts: 798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My local chemist sells it. 20p a stick.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A health shop I would have thought would stock them.

Holland & Barrett sell it according to the website.......but I haven't noticed it in my local one

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=3159
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen big bags in Chinese supermarkets.
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest, what are you using them for? We used to buy them as kids in the local health food shop and chew on them all day.
  • phepiaphepia Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told the EU stopped them due to lead in them.
    I brought aload off amazon a few months ago. Also some of those online sweet sites still stock them.
    Still about 10p each when I brought them
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought some a couple of weeks ago from a Health Food Shop as i read they were good for keeping mouth ulcers away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Thank you for all the replies, I managed to pick some up in Holland and Barretts :)

chopsim wrote: »
    Just out of interest, what are you using them for? We used to buy them as kids in the local health food shop and chew on them all day.

I've recently had a nasty lung infection and told I'll be prone to them from now on and I've got a very low immune system and I've read they're very good for building up immunity in your lungs and immune system so I figured I would give it a go. They're a bit of an odd taste but not too unpleasant and I was actually just quite curious to see what they taste like :blush:
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could you boil them up to make a liquorice tea ?

I've bought liquorice tea in powdered form but it wasn't very nice and I chucked the pack away after trying it once
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I bought a box in my Asian store - years ago it used to be a chemist only!:D

Btw, Twinings do a liquorice tea ( bags) in a purple box from Tesco.
    Asian cookery uses the liquorice root in cooking - I've forgotten where ATM - but google knows.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I wasn't sure about boiling it but apparently you can, just break off 2 small pieces in a cup and let it brew for a few minutes like you would do a herbal tea, I'm going to give that a try tomorrow :) either way I'm quite determined I'm going to stick with it for a month and see if I notice any changes lol
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw some in pound land which surprised me a bit as I associate things like that with health food shops.