Options

Eyewitness Bbc1 Very Good Documentry

Manic MinerManic Miner Posts: 1,316
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well once again a very interesting, possibly very important, programme that no one seems to know about.

Very much like the classic QED / Horizon programmes

Comments

• Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Seems a bit late for a documentary. Very interesting so far.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Seems a bit late for a documentary. Very interesting so far.

BIB, I don't understand your point.
    Yup very good, shame I'm not paying attention to it properly though, distracted by my stomach :)

Edit proves what I've always thought about eye witness statements, not being worth a carrot a lot of the time.
    Even when I was mugged I couldn't remember the blokes faces 2 minutes later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having studied Psychology this isn't something to new to me as its covered in depth but its great to see a documentary on it.
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    That guy didn't even notice the cushion so made up the pattern that would have been on it if there was one. :confused::confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    owllover wrote: »
    That guy didn't even notice the cushion so made up the pattern that would have been on it if there was one. :confused::confused:

That's humans for you :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd be surprised some of the things people do, it really is amazing how fallible us humans are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very interesting. I'd love to take part in an experiment like this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Well once again a very interesting, possibly very important, programme that no one seems to know about.

Very much like the classic QED / Horizon programmes

How fallible is our original poster?? This doc is on BBC2 not BBC1- not much of on observer huh?:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dan_133 wrote: »
    You'd be surprised some of the things people do, it really is amazing how fallible us humans are.

Do you think it's a sort of attention-seeking, a need to feel important or helpful? How self-unaware was he that he couldn't see he was talking rubbish?
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Do you think it's a sort of attention-seeking, a need to feel important or helpful? How self-unaware was he that he couldn't see he was talking rubbish?

I was talking to my mum on the phone earlier (before the documentary) and she was repeating some story about something I was supposed to have done when I was about 5 or so. I have no memory of doing it (believe me, you would have remembered it if it had happened to you!) and many features of it vary from the last time she told it (a few months ago).

I suspect it was actually my younger brother who did what she was 'remembering' as it sounds like the sort of thing he would do. I'd have been at school at the time (being a few years older) and so wouldn't have seen it.

Funny thing this memory stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why didn't anyone bump the thread?
    Missed more than half of part 2 now.
    Linky, part 3 on the 2nd at 23:00.
  • Options
    PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoying this. Highly recommended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not sure what conclusions to make beyond what I've thought for a very long time, but very interesting none the less.

Just proves how surprisingly fallible the human mind can be.
    The witness describing sunglasses for 5 minutes, for example.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was an excellent programme with quite fascinating results.
    I don't remember faces well at all, so I would be useless at viewing an identity parade. I tend to remember numbers and colours better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bumpity bump part 3 on BBC2 at 23:00.

Having many witnesses to a crime helps the police piece together the facts. But what happens when the only witness is also the victim? Stephanie Slater was blindfolded during her kidnap but her attacker was caught because police interviewers were able to help her recall the sounds and smells she experienced during her ordeal.

But memory can be easily contaminated. Despite committing his face to memory, Jennifer Thompson-Cannino identified an innocent man as her rapist. He spent 11 years in jail.

Now, British police use cutting-edge techniques designed to collect uncontaminated eyewitness testimony so that they can secure a safe conviction, as in the case of Louise Aird, whose home was broken into during a £2 million art theft.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really good but my Sky planner is telling me its part 2 tonight. I only watched the first part on iPlayer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bumpity Bump on BBC4 again, started at 23:00 but still well worth watching.
    Linky

Ten people are secretly filmed as they witness what they believe to be a real crime - a knife attack in a Manchester pub. But when they are later interviewed by the police, their memories are radically different to each other's and to what really happened.