The Walking Dead - is it worth continuing with it

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did I miss something? or are they talking about it being aired in the US, when is it due to shown here?

Loved it all but was slow in places but they couldn't keep the fast pace in every episode.

Thanks in advance
  • LMLM Posts: 63,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think much to the pilot at all, but i finished the remaining 5 episodes and I am a now a new fan of this show. It doesn't feel too rushed and seems nicely paced.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    newbee wrote: »
    Did I miss something? or are they talking about it being aired in the US, when is it due to shown here?
    S3 has been shown on FX/Fox in the UK.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kris wrote: »
    Season 2 was dreadful, basically turned into a soap opera (think Eastenders with more zombies - hmm might have hit on something there! :D) I pretty much spaced out and ended up doing other things while each episode was on and came to the realisation I was simply playing them through to get them off my TIVOs hard drive.

Yep but I'd say emmerdale, as it was mainly about life on the farm.

+1 for season three being much better. The drama has moved back to survival rather than who is sleeping with who
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ohhhh don't give up!! Season 3 is amazing!!!!! :D:D
  • simonnsimonn Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sian2011 wrote: »
    Ohhhh don't give up!! Season 3 is amazing!!!!! :D:D

Yes, the verdict is fairly overwhelmingly in favour of it being much improved, so will keep on watching! Thanks to everyone who contributed.
  • LucyyculLucyycul Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S2 wasnt the greatest a bit slower than s1 however DO NOT GIVE UP S3 so far has been some of the best TV I have ever watched. Some of the eps have been fantastic and you keep thinking htey cant better it and then then do. Action packed from Ep 1 which highs and lows a real emotional rollercoaster!
  • LucyyculLucyycul Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theshadow wrote: »
    What pseudo-alien stuff???
    Have I totally missed something?

I must have missed it too!!!
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically, if you like boring soapy things like Downton Abbey you'd love series 2 but if you like rip-roaring excitement and wall to wall blood and guts you'll love series 3.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    simonn wrote: »
    I've just got to the end of season 2, and to be honest, the program isn't wowing me yet. A friend has said that it gets a whole lot better, but I wouldn't say that I wholly trust his opinion where telly and film is concerned. So anyone who's seen the third series, is it miles apart/better, or just more of the same?

Series 3 is WAY better than the quite boring series 2 - so yes - it is worth sticking with.

The whole first half of Series 2 was too long searching for a character that hardly anyone had noticed or cared about anyway and a total waste of time. The to-ing and fro-ing with Randall was a waste (and a load of silly decisions made) but I suppose the series finale of series 2 was very, very good (however - 13 episodes to wait for one very good one is too much to ask).

As I say though - stick with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one that quite liked season 2? Okay the middle was a bit iffy and lacklustre as it evolved around the Shane, Lori and Rick triangle but the beginning and ending were superb. I think they spent way too much time looking for Sophia but when they eventually find her, it's one of the best scenes in the entire series IMO.

It only gets better in season 3 when they find the prison and we meet the governor and Michonne. Even the comics aren't really about the zombies, it's a character driven story.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    sootysoo wrote: »

It only gets better in season 3 when they find the prison and we meet the governor and Michonne. Even the comics aren't really about the zombies, it's a character driven story.
    There's 'good' character driven drama and there's 'weak' character driven drama though. With the exception of episode 1 and the series finale of series 2 the whole thing was just dire (and it wasn't even necessarily to do with the 'love triangle'). The only thing that kept me interested in series 2 and made me keep watching was the pretty near excellent performance of Jon Bernthal as Shayne. I'm a Daryl fan - but I found him quite boring for most of series 2 (The Cherokee Rose episode was just awful). I didn't find any of the characters developing much at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    There's 'good' character driven drama and there's 'weak' character driven drama though. With the exception of episode 1 and the series finale of series 2 the whole thing was just dire (and it wasn't even necessarily to do with the 'love triangle'). The only thing that kept me interested in series 2 and made me keep watching was the pretty near excellent performance of Jon Bernthal as Shayne. I'm a Daryl fan - but I found him quite boring for most of series 2 (The Cherokee Rose episode was just awful). I didn't find any of the characters developing much at all.

I just found myself wanting to reach into the screen and punch Shane in the neck to be honest. I think as a character though he was excellent for the show but he deserved to die for too many reasons to count.

The bits I don't like about season 2 are when they find that guy (who was shooting at them in the bar) and instead of just killing him, they rescue him, only to whine on and on about whether or not to kill him.

Daryl is another character I just dislike. I don't get all this "you can't kill Daryl" malarkey at all. He is just quite a nasty character in general and I feel sorry for Carol having to put up with his ways.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being a fan of Shane may be part of why I liked s2 more than most. (Somewhat spoiled for me by his going off the rails towards the end.)

What's wrong with Daryl? What's he done that was nasty?

For me he's one of the best of them. He's smart enough to use a silent weapon, with potentially unlimited ammo, rather than a gun. He works tirelessly for the group, hunting for Silvia and taking part in all manner of missions. His relationship with Carol is deep and interesting. I can't remember him doing anything I'd call nasty.
  • AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell yeah, stick with it! I'm still waiting for a shirtless Daryl. Season 2 was quite slow and seemed to burst into life during the last two episodes. Season 3 has been amazing so far and there is definately more amazement to come.
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucyycul wrote: »
    I must have missed it too!!!

and me - please point out the "puesdo alien" stuff somebody
  • bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S1 & S2 were very uneven, sometimes brilliant but at other times very poor. S3 - wow, took the show to a whole new level.
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First half of series 3 was great.......... second half is due to start fairly soon of Fox....... so If you are gonna catch up, do so and soon......
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seasons 1 and 2 were both very good. Character development is important to me when I watch a show and The Walking Dead does it very well.
    Looking forward to Season 3 when Channel 5 get round to showing it.
  • simonnsimonn Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, I watched the first episode of S3 last night after reading all of your comments. All I can say is wow! What a change up. Much faster paced, changes in characters - Maggie for instance positively revelling in the kill fest, while Lori and Rick are hardly talking, and Carl suddenly is a hardened zombie killer who hates his mother. Excellent start! Thanks once again people!
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,462
    Forum Member
    If you don't like it by now then I can't see s3 changing your opinion. It's not the vastly different experience some people would have you believe.

Agreed - frankly if you are still ambivalent after the first series, let alone the second one; it is not for you.
    I enjoyed a lot of series 2, but then I don't want a killing fest all the time.
    the end of the first part of series 2 where zombie Sophie came out of the barn was shocking, moving and brilliant the way it was handled
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Feel cheated, didn't know there was an alternative channel to watch it on but I won't sign up for sky but can't stop the feeling i've been ripped off now it's on a pay channel having waited for seasons one and two to conclude so its either catch up or Wait!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are these replies actualy being pushed to the top of what is being replied to...........I think not............... answer
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonn wrote: »
    So, I watched the first episode of S3 last night after reading all of your comments. All I can say is wow! What a change up. Much faster paced, changes in characters - Maggie for instance positively revelling in the kill fest, while Lori and Rick are hardly talking, and Carl suddenly is a hardened zombie killer who hates his mother. Excellent start! Thanks once again people!

It needed an action packed opener after the Static Sophia Saga :)

Anyway, Norman Reedus is in it, have to carry on watching ;)
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    newbee wrote: »
    Are these replies actualy being pushed to the top of what is being replied to...........I think not............... answer

What?