Edward Snowden

124»

Comments

• GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Parker45 wrote: »
    To say a contract is meaningless is absurd. Breaking a contract is legally and morally wrong and if you are prepared to do that then you mustn't complain when you get prosecuted.

Pity that doesn't apply to employers who have reneged on their contracts with workers vis a vis pensions then, isn't it?
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was under the impression that he signed the Official secrets act. But in his defence IMO I have to say if he thinks something is not right, he has every right to whistle blow.
  • MartenMarten Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This freedom fighting hero should be granted asylum, no doubt about it.

He would never face justice in the USA. Justice involves a fair trial, but I'm convinced he wouldn't get a fair trial in that country. The "justice" there is flawed and can't be trusted to give suspects a fair trial. In that sense I would even go further and greatly limit any extraditions from all European countries to the USA as I only support extradition to countries where the justice system can be trusted, which does not include the USA.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    I was under the impression that he signed the Official secrets act. But in his defence IMO I have to say if he thinks something is not right, he has every right to whistle blow.
    The Official Secrets Act doesn't apply in the USA, what with it being a different country and all ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    The Official Secrets Act doesn't apply in the USA, what with it being a different country and all ;)

I meant the American equivalent to the Official Secrets Act. They must have one. Just like most countries have a whistle blowing policy.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    His actions are the exact opposite of those of a traitor, as long as you remember the people he was working for were American citizens.

Exactly. Yet how many of those American citizens, supposedly lovers of freedom, have jumped to his aid? So far, the most prominent is Oliver Stone, who reminds us that the NSA's actions breach the 4th Amendment, and brands Obama an utter disgrace for pursuing Snowdon rather than ensuring the ghastly erosion of freedom begun by the Bush regime is overturned.

Indeed, Snowdon has acted like a true American, protecting the hard won freedoms of his fellow citizens, and exposing shady agencies who are, themselves, in breach of the law.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. Yet how many of those American citizens, supposedly lovers of freedom, have jumped to his aid? So far, the most prominent is Oliver Stone, who reminds us that the NSA's actions breach the 4th Amendment, and brands Obama an utter disgrace for pursuing Snowdon rather than ensuring the ghastly erosion of freedom begun by the Bush regime is overturned.

Indeed, Snowdon has acted like a true American, protecting the hard won freedoms of his fellow citizens, and exposing shady agencies who are, themselves, in breach of the law.

A good post:)
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diablo wrote: »
    I doubt he'd face 'justice' if he were returned, more likely a show trial.

On some pretty jumped up charges as well IMO.

He's being labelled a spy, a traitor and someone who actively collaborated with America's enemies.

He wasn't passing secrets to the Chinese or AQ. He informed the American public via the Washington Post about the level of widespread US surveillance that goes on.

So perversely, US legislators have taken the curious stance of refering to the American public as being America's enemies in this instance, effectively comparing US journalists with foreign intelligence operatives. As yet they haven't offered up a shred of evidence to suggest Snowdon has done anything that actually aided an enemy, but they are gunning for him as if he'd handed Bin Laden the launch codes.

So as things stand I'm leaning towards hoping he gets asylum somewhere, particularly when what he exposed looks like a criminal act in itself.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe some American government agencies consider the "American people" to be just as much of a threat as foreigners?
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Maybe some American government agencies consider the "American people" to be just as much of a threat as foreigners?

Not just American.

It is the foremost job of any country's security services to protect the Establishment, not the people.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    The impounding of diplomatic plane is as 'hearts and minds' losing as all those drones, maybe more aptly known as 'death machines' by propaganda station RT.
    Imagine if someone in Sweden had to die because the US drone death machine thinks an enemy is next door to your house.
    It would certainly be an act of war in that case.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/pakistan/10169655/US-raid-that-killed-bin-Laden-was-an-act-of-war-says-Pakistani-report.html

Not just me thinking it. Pakistan has more than one government, maybe more than two ?
    Even the US would not do something so stupid without some support