Sunday EPL Broadcasting

Chris155auChris155au Posts: 218
Forum Member
Do you think we'll ever see Sundays becoming the majority matchday to allow for 100% broadcasting? With Saturday only being used for 12.45, 17.30 and for Tuesday Champions League participants.

It's a track which I'm actually surprised the Money League, sorry, Premier League hasn't gone down, and one which I hope they never do. I am almost certain that they would have considered it, I'd place alot of money on that.

Comments

• big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris155au wrote: »
    Do you think we'll ever see Sundays becoming the majority matchday to allow for 100% broadcasting? With Saturday only being used for 12.45, 17.30 and for Tuesday Champions League participants.

It's a track which I'm actually surprised the Money League, sorry, Premier League hasn't gone down, and one which I hope they never do. I am almost certain that they would have considered it, I'd place alot of money on that.

This thread may be of interest...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1912088
  • Chris155auChris155au Posts: 218
    Forum Member

A majority Suday would fix alot of their problems... if that thread topic is true or if it one day becomes true, then they would loose money by not selling to foreign broadcasters. By having a majority Sunday, they get to sell the games back to them as well as getting a hell of alot more money from Sky in a new, unprecedented 100% coverage TV deal.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't like to think we would go down the most fixtures on a Sunday lark, Saturday 3 pm fixtures, have been played in this country probably as long as the game was evented.

Saturday afternoon means football, not on a sunday, im pleased when there are only 2 maximum 3 fixtures on a sunday.

I would make Sky use there picks, on those sundays, which have Europa league teams, so sky, can only choose those teams.
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Move top flight games to Sundays only.

Gives more room and publicity to the Saturday games!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im English, i want footbal kept to its traditional slots, Saturday 3pm,

3 Games max on a Sunday, 1 Monday night game.

Im not bothered about rights abroad and stuff, its our league, we shouldnt have to cater to other countries,
  • Dwight1970Dwight1970 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Sunday's would see the Premier League competing with host of European Leagues that tend to favour Sunday afternoon kick-off, outside of the big clubs I doubt there would be the same appeal for overseas broadcasters as there is now on Saturday's for the lesser games to be shown.

As I said on the other thread, I don't think more games ultimately means more money for the Premier League, the risk is that you start diluting the value of the lesser packages rather than raise them.

For all the debating here domestically in terms of revenue raising the Premier League seem to have got it pretty spot on in how they the structure their deals against those leagues that offer blanket coverage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im English, i want footbal kept to its traditional slots, Saturday 3pm,

3 Games max on a Sunday, 1 Monday night game.

Im not bothered about rights abroad and stuff, its our league, we shouldnt have to cater to other countries,

Thing is that moving the games to Sunday would be for the UK TV audience (to get around the blackout), not for foreign viewers. The original topic in that other thread is that other countries are having their 3pm games blocked so that it isn't streamed or broadcast back in the UK. So this whole thing is actually to do with us, not other countries. Other countries can broadcast Premier League games whenever they wish time wise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I maybe the minority, but i enjoy not seeing the majority of the goals until MOTD, i wouldnt want a match choice thing where you could see the goals as they go in.

Would make Saturday nights very boring, Saturday means football to me, 10:30 MOTD, and then the FLS
    Forum Member
    I would make Sky use there picks, on those sundays, which have Europa league teams, so sky, can only choose those teams.

Why is that?
  • The Great 208The Great 208 Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about a version of NFL's Red Zone for the Premier League if it were to be mostly played on Sundays? I'd have some of that :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I maybe the minority, but i enjoy not seeing the majority of the goals until MOTD, i wouldnt want a match choice thing where you could see the goals as they go in.

Would make Saturday nights very boring, Saturday means football to me, 10:30 MOTD, and then the FLS

I definitely think that these days you're in the minority. If you don't want to watch the goals as they go in, and watch MOTD, you could always just not watch them as they go in and wait!

By the way, I also enjoy watching MOTD every week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely think that these days you're in the minority. If you don't want to watch the goals as they go in, and watch MOTD, you could always just not watch them as they go in and wait!

By the way, I also enjoy watching MOTD every week.

If loads of goals go in on a Saturday at 3pm, i will watch Sky's Saturday Night Football, but if say less than 12 goals happen in 3pm kick offs, i dont bohter with SNF.

And if there is more games on a Sunday which arent being covered by BT/Sky, i will not watch the live matches, i perfer to listen to them chat about it on SSN.

Maybe i am more old school,
  • sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im pleased when there are only 2 maximum 3 fixtures on a sunday.

4 this Sunday (and not for the first time this season).

Not too great a leap to move the rest...
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised Sky have never shown a live Premier League game on Sunday evening at 8pm before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised Sky have never shown a live Premier League game on Sunday evening at 8pm before.

Don't think there was ever an EPL game played later than 4.00pm or 5.00pm on a Sunday. There have been one or two FA Cup games played around tea time on a Sunday but pretty sure police would not be keen in so late a KO time as 8.00pm.
    Forum Member
    Isn't Sunday better for TV ratings too? As more people work on Saturdays.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday is a pain in the arse public transport wise, especially after about 5/6pm.

I went to Villa-Man Utd in the FA Cup about 10 years back that was played at 6pm on a Sunday and it was mayhem. Most of the away end had been drinking since lunchtime and were hammered by KO and there were multiple mass pitch invasions when United scored. I for one had a tremendous time, but not surprisingly the concept didn't last much longer after that.
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a average week there is already 2 games on a sunday. More when Europa League was midweek. And 2 games on the Saturday are not on at 3pm so its not really a huge leap from the current status quo.
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,147
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Sunday is a pain in the arse public transport wise, especially after about 5/6pm.

I went to Villa-Man Utd in the FA Cup about 10 years back that was played at 6pm on a Sunday and it was mayhem. Most of the away end had been drinking since lunchtime and were hammered by KO and there were multiple mass pitch invasions when United scored. I for one had a tremendous time, but not surprisingly the concept didn't last much longer after that.

I agree public transport is a big issue for the large urban teams like Man Utd or Arsenal, however with someone like Brighton with an out of town stadium with loads of parking and most people drive that is not a problem.

You also have the issue in the UK of away fans so they need to get home. In most countries and especially in US sports you don't have them so people are travelling much shorter distances to get home.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    You also have the issue in the UK of away fans so they need to get home. In most countries and especially in US sports you don't have them so people are travelling much shorter distances to get home.
    I'm not so sure about that one. Remember most US states are as big as England. A team like Detroit Lions would attract fans from across the state not just from the city.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dwight1970 wrote: »
    As I said on the other thread, I don't think more games ultimately means more money for the Premier League, the risk is that you start diluting the value of the lesser packages rather than raise them.

That's exactly right. There's no appetite for more Premier League matches to be shown on TV. Nobody's refusing to subscribe to Sky or BT because they don't show every game, it would attract no new subscribers at all. All you do, as you point out, is just dilute the value of what you already have. Even the Premier League have said that they would rather have fewer games on TV. You won't get five times the audience if you had five matches on TV at 3pm on Sunday, you'd have the same audience spread across five games.

And for Sky you also have the side-effect of completely ruining Soccer Saturday which is one of their most popular shows.
    Yes. Move top flight games to Sundays only.

Gives more room and publicity to the Saturday games!

That wouldn't give more publicity to lower league games, it'd marginalise them. At the moment people tuning in to Final Score and Soccer Saturday for the Premier League scores get lower league scores and results as well. If they didn't have Premier League matches, they wouldn't tune in at all.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You've obviously never considered the logistics of fans trying to get home by public transport at 10.00pm on a Sunday then. Plus, as suggested elsewhere, police objections would rule out a large number of matches being played at this time anyway.
  • TheCloakroom99TheCloakroom99 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    You've obviously never considered the logistics of fans trying to get home by public transport at 10.00pm on a Sunday then. Plus, as suggested elsewhere, police objections would rule out a large number of matches being played at this time anyway.

It happens on the continent. Are their transport systems so much better?
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It happens on the continent. Are their transport systems so much better?

Fans generally don't go to away games, except for derbies.
    In Italy even home fans don't go to midweek games in big numbers.
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    deleted