MANDELA FUNERAL: SD on BBC HD but HD on Al Jazeera Freeview HD!

zandarzandar Posts: 929
Forum Member
✭✭
Can anyone explain how the BBC have managed to downgrade the HD pictures to SD on both BBC 1 HD & News HD for the Mandela Funeral yet at the same time, Al Jazeera News HD (Freeview) are showing the funeral in High Definition?

It is also rather odd that the BBC have chosen to switch 'Breakfast' to BBC 2 - well until 7.30am this Sunday - to allow the Mandela Funeral to be on BOTH BBC 1 & BBC News. At 7.30am, BBC 2 switched to Football highlights. Why does the Mandela funeral need to be on two BBC channels?

Comments

• Think TVThink TV Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    See this from Mary Hockaday on Newswatch: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03l66km/Newswatch_13_12_2013/

The funeral is on BBC One/HD and it is on BBC News/HD unless there is breaking news elsewhere.
  • JordanDSJordanDS Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you really want to see ritual slaughter in HD?

Take your point though - BBC fly out hundreds of people to SA and yet fail to secure HD coverage.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zandar wrote: »
    Can anyone explain how the BBC have managed to downgrade the HD pictures to SD on both BBC 1 HD & News HD for the Mandela Funeral yet at the same time, Al Jazeera News HD (Freeview) are showing the funeral in High Definition?

It is also rather odd that the BBC have chosen to switch 'Breakfast' to BBC 2 - well until 7.30am this Sunday - to allow the Mandela Funeral to be on BOTH BBC 1 & BBC News. At 7.30am, BBC 2 switched to Football highlights. Why does the Mandela funeral need to be on two BBC channels?

Of course it doesn't need to be on two BBC channels just as PMQs doesn't need to be on three BBC Channels (BBC2, News and Parliament). BBC News channel should be providing a ''normal'' Breakfast programme as it did up to 7.30 as there seems to be plenty else going on in the world, but that sort of decision seems to be beyond the management of BBC News.
  • Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,743
    Forum Member
    Also in HD on Sky News HD.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Of course it doesn't need to be on two BBC channels just as PMQs doesn't need to be on three BBC Channels (BBC2, News and Parliament
    BBC Two - takes feed from BBC Parliament, but allows for on-screen and audio commentary tailored to the Daily Politics programme and guests, with The Daily Politics continuing before and after PMQs (and using PMQs as a discussion point both before and after the event), with additional analysis.

BBC News - takes feed from BBC Parliament, adding news ticker & clock, and allows for the news channel to cut away should a breaking news item occur. I guess that PMQs is seen as a news event (Sky News carries the feed as well). There is no additional anaysis.

BBC Parliament - the live and unadulterated feed from Parliament, with no audio commentary, no additional graphics or on-screen commentary, no analysis, and no cutaways to any guests.

So it's horses for courses, especially the BBC Two outing which forms part of a wider programme. If there is a superfluous broadcast, it would be that which appears on the News channel.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think TV wrote: »
    See this from Mary Hockaday on Newswatch: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03l66km/Newswatch_13_12_2013/

The funeral is on BBC One/HD and it is on BBC News/HD unless there is breaking news elsewhere.

They occasionally opted out of the Six when they were at Tvc, but is there likely to be anything bigger than Mandela this morning?
  • plattyplatty Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also in HD on Sky News HD.

Candles look lovely in HD :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch - the BBC"s pictures are easily the worst of the bunch. EVERY other channel covering (regardless of HD or SD) have got better PQ than ANY BBC channel. Did the BBC buy their pictures from the sign language interpreter?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh f*ucks sake, now Radio Five AND RADIO FOUR are now running it live as well.
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunatley, Al Jazzera currently have a bunch of talking heads on split screen, so regardless of HD or not, their coverage of the funeral itself is unwatchable.

Extremely odd for BBC not to be outputting the feed in HD. I suspect a technical problem more than anything else - I doubt they would deliberately pick SD when they've been using HD for the rest of the feeds this week.
  • zandarzandar Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordanDS wrote: »
    Ouch - the BBC"s pictures are easily the worst of the bunch. EVERY other channel covering (regardless of HD or SD) have got better PQ than ANY BBC channel. Did the BBC buy their pictures from the sign language interpreter?

I agree, the BBC has the worst pictures of the bunch.

Perhaps the BBC, having shipped 140+ staff to South Africa, decided to save a few bucks by downgrading the HD pictures to SD? (I bet the staff were 'pleased' that Nelson died during our winter. I wonder how many are going to stay on and enjoy the South African summer over the Christmas holidays)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet the staff were 'pleased' that Nelson died during our winter. I wonder how many are going to stay on and enjoy the South African summer over the Christmas holidays)?

Cheap shot indeed, especially considering that many people will want to be with their families over Christmas
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the BBC, having shipped 140+ staff to South Africa, decided to save a few bucks by downgrading the HD pictures to SD? (I bet the staff were 'pleased' that Nelson died during our winter. I wonder how many are going to stay on and enjoy the South African summer over the Christmas holidays)?

Can we please keep the conspiracy theories out of the thread? It really does not help when people start making things up. That's been half the problem with the threads this week - comments like this just add unnecessary fuel to the fire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The feed that the BBC used for the Memorial earlier this week was SD, even though it was the same picture that Al Jazeera HD was carrying.
  • RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HM...so its SD on BBC? I've got it recording on my Freeview HD capable PC while watching the eNCA coverage on Sky (to avoid BBC "analysis" cutting in to things).

I have eNCA on my TV right next to my PC showing BBC One HD and did think the eNCA image looked miles better the the BBC (and we all know eNCA is far from HD quality!). I just assumed that BBC HD didn't look as good because its being displayed on a monitor feed by VGA cable rather than DVI/HDMI.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks fine on BBC1 HD on Sky
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With respect, you have got your glasses on haven't you? :)
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that on an "HD" Channel (BBC only) it had to be HD where possible?
  • RacketRacket Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    Aye, the BBC feed is terrible. Even a slight bit of pillarboxing on both sides with overscan turned off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems it's being produced on-site today for some reason - hence the low quality. Good to know that they still use Powerpoint sometimes for graphics.

I should probably check the old OB trolley hasn't been nicked from my Uni's TV station. It's about comparable quality. :D
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eladkse wrote: »
    Seems it's being produced on-site today for some reason - hence the low quality. Good to know that they still use Powerpoint sometimes for graphics.

I should probably check the old OB trolley hasn't been nicked from my Uni's TV station. It's about comparable quality. :D
    Probably all being fed through their bureaux in Johannesburg, which is most likely SD only. Make it easier to bring all the elements together.
  • Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Reuters have a clean 1080i feed available so BBC are clearly choosing not to use it. And as suggested probably mixing in David Dimbleby shots on site and it's all SD equipment, Sub par SD at that.

What amuses me is the colour artifacts visible on some shots, Not sure the exact word for it, but it's like the 90s again.
  • cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eladkse wrote: »
    Can we please keep the conspiracy theories out of the thread? It really does not help when people start making things up. That's been half the problem with the threads this week - comments like this just add unnecessary fuel to the fire.

Making things up on DS - perish the thought:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very odd - the final montage and endboard were done from London... in HD!

And now News Channel is using HD footage. So as we figured - it was because it was being produced in SA.
  • HarshadHarshad Posts: 5,996
    Forum Member
    So to bring in Dimblebores face the whole thing got converted to SD, this is a license fee disgrace!