Accepted by Home Let - Cannot Move in for 3 weeks

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
Forum Member
HI All

I am not sure if I am asking for advice or just venting, however, maybe someone has been in the same situation and managed to expedite the process?

I saw a house to let on Right Move and it stated 'Available Now'. I viewed it on Monday and went straight to the Estate Agents afterwards to fill in the application form and pay the £180 application fee. I was informed that they do not reference prospective tenants but they contract it out to a company called Home Let and it MAY take up to 3 weeks for me to be approved. To cut a long story short, after a lot of effort on mine and my employers side, I was told today that I have been accepted! Yay!!!

However, the letting company now have informed me that the inventory has not yet been completed on the house and it is scheduled for the 7th April and I can move in on the 11th April! I asked if the inventory could be done sooner and they said they are fully booked and it is not possible for it to be done before then! I explained on Monday that if successful, I would need to move before the 8th April as my next month's rent is due then. At no time did they say this would be a problem. They assumed the Home Let application would take much longer.

I just don't know if there is anything I can do/say that would make them complete the inventory earlier? I don't want to make waves, however, I don't relish paying a full months' rent, just to move out 3 days after paying it!

I feel let down and frustrated. Why advertise a house as 'available now' when it clearly isn't? And why didn't they say the earliest anyone could move in was the 11th when I clearly stated I needed to move by the 8th.

Any advice on how I might expedite this process?

BTW - I do not have to give notice on the current property :)

Sorry for the long post!

Comments

• tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how much stuff do you have?

if not too much, put it in storage or in a friends garage/loft and then spend 3 nights in the cheapest b + b you can find, or travel lodge or something, then move in on 11th
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you not given notice on your current accommodation? Normally you'd need to give a months notice anyway so wouldn't you be paying until May anyway?

If not and current landlord wants less than a month's notice, perhaps he'd be nice & let you rent just an extra week. It's worth asking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you have to give notice? Have you already given notice or is this the natural end of your fixed term contract?

Ask the owner of your current place if you can stay on for three days at a pro-rata'ed rent. Don't say you can't move into your new property until then or they might take advantage by saying no and insisting you pay another month's rent. Unless s/he has new tenants moving in immediately, they will probably be only too grateful for a bit more rent to cover some of the void period.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »
    how much stuff do you have?

if not too much, put it in storage or in a friends garage/loft and then spend 3 nights in the cheapest b + b you can find, or travel lodge or something, then move in on 11th

I have actually very little to take - 3 seater sofa, single bed, chests of drawers, book case and kitchen table! Then all of the little nick naks that could stay in the car boot! I didn't think of B & B - too stressed to think straight. Thanks for the advice :)
    Forum Member
    Why don't you have to give notice? Have you already given notice or is this the natural end of your fixed term contract?

Ask the owner of your current place if you can stay on for three days at a pro-rata'ed rent. Don't say you can't move into your new property until then or they might take advantage by saying no and insisting you pay another month's rent. Unless s/he has new tenants moving in immediately, they will probably be only too grateful for a bit more rent to cover some of the void period.

JumpThe Shark and StressMonkey - I am in the unfortunate position of renting a house from my ex husband. It was supposed to just be a stop gap for a few weeks, and I have been here for 4 years!!! So we are not binded by a contract. I moved in on the 8th, I pay each month in advance on the 8th. However, he did me a really big favour by letting me rent this place, but, I've been boiler less (therefore no heating or hot water) for the last 2 winters. I suppose I don't really want to ask him for any more favours and wanted to depart before the next rent is due. He's going to annoyed at me anyway. It's taken me ages to save for the application fee and bond, and now I am told it's going to be delayed another 3 weeks. I've calmed down a bit and decided that:
    A) I will ask the ex if I can have a few extra days and I will pay him pro-rata rent or if he declines:
    B) Leave the furniture here and move in to a B & B - Surely he wouldn't dispose of his son's furniture lol

Thanks for all of your advice guys, sometimes common sense leaves the building when you're stressed :)
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be impossible for him to legally evict you in such a short timescale, stay put, pay the rent pro-rata, you have no tenancy agreement, he can't sue you for anything and in 2 weeks time it will be over.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it you and your son? Then your ex shouldn't be making his son stay in a B&B for three days.

Even if just you, I would say if the ex won't let you off three days, he is a bit of an ar$e. If I was a bad person I might say sod him, just stay the extra three days. ;-) Unless there would be massive fall out for you & son of course.
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    It would be impossible for him to legally evict you in such a short timescale, stay put, pay the rent pro-rata, you have no tenancy agreement, he can't sue you for anything and in 2 weeks time it will be over.

I never thought about things legally - it's my consience - don't know why I feel so guilty, he's let me and his son be without a boiler for 2 years!
    Forum Member
    Is it you and your son? Then your ex shouldn't be making his son stay in a B&B for three days.

Even if just you, I would say if the ex won't let you off three days, he is a bit of an ar$e. If I was a bad person I might say sod him, just stay the extra three days. ;-) Unless there would be massive fall out for you & son of course.

Yes it is me and his son (14 yrs old now). We've been separated for 13 years. I moved areas (bad decision) and came back, he offered me a place to live, I accepted. He's not been the best landlord in the world that's for sure. The house is falling apart around us! But I still feel guilty asking for a few extra days.

I think the thread was started because I felt so frustrated with the letting agent, I had it all worked out in my head! However, I can't expect everyone to fall in line with my wants and needs.

So excited to get heating and hot water!!!!!!!!! Roll on the 11th, I will wing it with the ex until then. He is abroad at the moment so has no idea I am leaving.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »

I agree with you when you say that the OP can stay where they are because there is no way that she can be evicted within such a short period

However the fact that there is no tenancy agreement doesn't mean that there is no tenancy. Assuming a close to market rent has been paid on the property then it would be assumed that the OP has an assured shorthold tenancy irrespective of whether there is a signed tenancy agreement
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bad landlord is one that leave you with no heating for 2 winters. especially when you have a child. When that landlord is the father of your child it is even more wrong and again, if he doesn't allow you 3 days pro rata then he is an even bigger ****. In my opinion of course ;)
    Forum Member
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    A bad landlord is one that leave you with no heating for 2 winters. especially when you have a child. When that landlord is the father of your child it is even more wrong and again, if he doesn't allow you 3 days pro rata then he is an even bigger ****. In my opinion of course ;)

To be fair, my whole family, and extended family, agree with you Gogfumble :) It's just me that's feeling a bit guilty. I really do not have no idea why!!!!!:)

I forgot to add, along the list of other things, the toilet doesn't flush properly either and we have to use a bucket!

Why oh why do I feel guilty?