Options

Why do cats engender so much deep and bitter hatred ?

bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As pets, they are wonderful, loyal and loving creatures, yet so many people seem to hate their guts, and talk quite openly of wanting to kill them. On these boards, we see quite routinely, posters cracking jokes in threads regarding cruelty towards them, and others threatening all manner of dire retribution should they step foot in their gardens.

We also see a very sneering response to those who say they are close to their cats, and would be broken hearted if anything happened to them. The old "it's only a cat", syndrome.

I find this quite extraordinary, as cats do no harm whatever to anyone. Unlike some dogs, they don't attack young kids and rip them to pieces, and they don't rush up to total strangers, and make a nuisance of themselves.

You don't hear cat lovers wanting to kill dogs (imagine the reaction if they did) Yet it seems to be good sport to hate cats. Why ?

Oh, and here's a challenge for the cat haters ~ is it possible for you to give a serious reasoned answer, and not lapse into silly jokes. I am genuinely interested in the reasons for this apparent hatred.

Comments

• Options
    derbyshire duckderbyshire duck Posts: 14,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have obviously never had a cat as a pet and have no idea wot wonderful pets they make,I love my two and they give love back and not just because I feed them :)
  • Options
    maybemaybe Posts: 4,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cat-hating has a long history in Europe because of the association with witchcraft, and I've always assumed that modern cat-haters are expressing some form of cultural hangover related to the various superstitions surrounding cats and cat-owning.

You only have to Google the history of the cat to find the roots of the irrationality.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    As pets, they are wonderful, loyal and loving creatures, yet so many people seem to hate their guts, and talk quite openly of wanting to kill them. On these boards, we see quite routinely, posters cracking jokes in threads regarding cruelty towards them, and others threatening all manner of dire retribution should they step foot in their gardens.

We also see a very sneering response to those who say they are close to their cats, and would be broken hearted if anything happened to them. The old "it's only a cat", syndrome.

I find this quite extraordinary, as cats do no harm whatever to anyone. Unlike some dogs, they don't attack young kids and rip them to pieces, and they don't rush up to total strangers, and make a nuisance of themselves.

You don't hear cat lovers wanting to kill dogs (imagine the reaction if they did) Yet it seems to be good sport to hate cats. Why ?

Oh, and here's a challenge for the cat haters ~ is it possible for you to give a serious reasoned answer, and not lapse into silly jokes. I am genuinely interested in the reasons for this apparent hatred.
    Don't they? http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JHN-zyAOZYA :D

Cats are like marmite. I love 'em. They think for themselves & aren't dopey followers like dogs.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the cat haters on here have kitty's that shit in thier garden's :eek: :o

My little one has been trained so although she goes out she always comes in to use her litter tray but I know not all cat owners are this way inclined...... and I appreciate why it annoys people. We've always had cats but ours never used the plant pots as a litter tray (unlike the neighbours cat!!)

However people who openly "despise" and wish harm on any animal are IMO uneducated, ignorant thugs!!!

Cats are wonderful, fascinating creatures and make gentle, loving (and loyal - if you feed them ;)) pets.

I cannot understand the level of hatred towards them either? :confused: I'm not a huge fan of dogs (or spiders) but I do not hate them or wish painful harm to them!!!

Why are cats so vilified?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You won't get a rational answer -- I've been trying to get one for years.

The cat haters will simply ignore this thread and repeat the tired old line about crapping in the garden on the other thread once again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    I think they are scared of them, they probably got scratched by one when they were younger. Cats have limits, you can't stroke and play with a cat like you can with a dog. Cat's have no go areas and get bored or just don't like being fussed at all. I asked a few people at work why they don't like cats and they said they are "nasty". :rolleyes:
  • Options
    LadyFluffLadyFluff Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    I like rodents and birds, and don't like cats who 'play' with them and 'accidently' kill them. My dog never played with other animals, apart from other dogs and a one off wasp (which she learnt her lesson from!). I can't stand the way that cats rub themselves all round your legs - it feels like the sound of nails on a blackboard to me (if that makes sense with my comparison!) - I wanna spew when they do it. I'm cat sitting for my in-laws this week, and I dislike the beast in question! I've never known a dog that's pulled up the carpet, climbed on all the kitchen so everything has to be cleaned before you prepare every meal as you never know where its feet have been, scratches the furniture when it's no longer a baby, bites your feet AND craps in other people's gardens!
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usually people with a garden fetish - preening their stupid plants, looking at your garden with disgust if the grass hasn't been cut the moment it's started growing again.

Bloody cats shit on my lawn etc etc.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    LadyFluff wrote: »
    I like rodents and birds, and don't like cats who 'play' with them and 'accidently' kill them. My dog never played with other animals, apart from other dogs and a one off wasp (which she learnt her lesson from!). I can't stand the way that cats rub themselves all round your legs - it feels like the sound of nails on a blackboard to me (if that makes sense with my comparison!) - I wanna spew when they do it. I'm cat sitting for my in-laws this week, and I dislike the beast in question! I've never known a dog that's pulled up the carpet, climbed on all the kitchen so everything has to be cleaned before you prepare every meal as you never know where its feet have been, scratches the furniture when it's no longer a baby, bites your feet AND craps in other people's gardens!

I agree with the rodent and bird thing, I don't like it and try to get my cat to leave the animal they have caught alone. But one thing you can't do it seperate a cat from it's catch.

The dog thing though, I don't understand. My friend has got 3 dogs and they are very badly behaved, they chew up everything, and I mean everything. Carpet, clothes, shoes, bags, doors, skirting boards etc They steal your food, follow you around, poo in the garden and then come in and because "bits" are stuck to their tails, then proceed to get dog sh*t all over the carpet. The amount of my clothes which have been ruined from them chewing them up jumping up me a ripping them is unbelievable.

They are constantly trying to escape as well when you open the door, they are a complete and utter nuisance. Cat's can be naughty, but I found that when dogs are naughty what they do is far worse.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I don't dislike cats per se. If I visit someone with a cat, I'll always make a fuss of it, stroke it, and I like listening to the purring.

But I still cannot condone keeping a cat. A cat is a hunter, and a cruel predator. Many of them torture mice and other small creatures, and climb into nests to kill chicks etc.

The argument is "well it's in their instinct; they're only doing what comes naturally".
    Absolutely right. Its also in a hound's instinct to kill a fox, or a hare etc, but most people don't condone that.
    Indeed I bet there are many anti-hunt protestors who are devoted cat owners, and (through their ownership of a domestic cat) have been responsible for causing far more animal cruelty and suffering than a Hunt ever has.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a dog lover, but I like cats too.

We had two at home, one was a total bitch. Never wanted to be stroked or even looked at. The other one is the most affectionate cat I've ever seen. He's my baby and I love him :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just dont like them. I did have a giggle at this thread because those who do like cats cannot seem to see past their own viewpoints. They seem to put cats on some kind of pedestal which IMO they dont deserve.

There are loads of legitimate reasons why people dont like cats and the cat fetishists need to accept this.

Some reasons may include
    -allergies
    - the smell of cat pee
    - dont like having beheaded caracases of small animals brought into their house
    -May have pets that have been terrorised by cats
    - the destruction/ damaging of personal property

and so on

So can the cat lovers just get over the facts that there is no doctrine that says everyone must love cats and perhaps they can look in the mirror and see that it is their unconditional adulation that might be the root of the problem rather than the rational explanations provided by those who dont like cats.
  • Options
    B3atenB3aten Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A cat bell can help stop cats hunting. It might not stop them hunting completely, but will make their presence known

Edit - And what about dogs that chase and kill cats?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PingMyPong wrote: »
    I just dont like them. I did have a giggle at this thread because those who do like cats cannot seem to see past their own viewpoints. They seem to put cats on some kind of pedestal which IMO they dont deserve.

There are loads of legitimate reasons why people dont like cats and the cat fetishists need to accept this.

Some reasons may include
    -allergies
    - the smell of cat pee
    - dont like having beheaded caracases of small animals brought into their house
    -May have pets that have been terrorised by cats
    - the destruction/ damaging of personal property

and so on

So can the cat lovers just get over the facts that there is no doctrine that says everyone must love cats and perhaps they can look in the mirror and see that it is their unconditional adulation that might be the root of the problem rather than the rational explanations provided by those who dont like cats.

Actually I think you'll find the thread was started directly in response to people who have started anti-cat threads. There was a very short and lame anti-dog thread :o, but I think the OP had a valid point. Cats seem to come in fro a fair bit of criticism and I have heard nothing that could rival this towards any other animal?

I really think some people need to get a grip :eek:
    the destruction/ damaging of personal property
    May have pets that have been terrorised by cats

Unless someone has been attacked by a flipping lion then I really cannot understand why the inspire so much hatred and fear?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I think you'll find the thread was started directly in response to people who have started anti-cat threads. There was a very short and lame anti-dog thread :o, but I think the OP had a valid point. Cats seem to come in fro a fair bit of criticism and I have heard nothing that could rival this towards any other animal?

I really think some people need to get a grip :eek:

Unless someone has been attacked by a flipping lion then I really cannot understand why the inspire so much hatred and fear?

Personally I think the cat lovers need a bit of perspective and accept that, on DS, there is a number of people that do not share their love with cats. Accept it.

And if you had pets that had been attacked/ killed by cats you would realise how flippant your last statement actually sounds.

To clarify- not everyone likes cats. Its a fact. #Just because some have an excessive love for one pet does not make everyone else who does not share that view any better or worse than the cat lovers.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    from what ive read on this forum, spiders are also villified, probably more so than cats.

I dont mind cats, I did think about getting one some years ago, but decided against it, at the time I had rabbits, chinchilla's etc.. and they would probably get spooked by the cat at the very least, I wouldnt of looked forward to it bringing any dead animals either, though I obviously wouldnt blame the cat, its just the way they act naturally, albeit in an environment not really eqiupped to deal with it.
  • Options
    5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess some people would rather have streets with rats and mice spreading disease than cats dealing with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PingMyPong wrote: »
    Personally I think the cat lovers need a bit of perspective and accept that, on DS, there is a number of people that do not share their love with cats. Accept it.

And if you had pets that had been attacked/ killed by cats you would realise how flippant your last statement actually sounds.

To clarify- not everyone likes cats. Its a fact. #Just because some have an excessive love for one pet does not make everyone else who does not share that view any better or worse than the cat lovers.

I personally don't like dogs - I think they are smelly, too much hard work, they shit, bark and make mess, they can be difficult to train, they can be disobedient, and depending on breed they can be quite violent. I am pretty sure I am not the only one who feels this way BUT I've never started a thread on it :o

Quite frankly if my cat came home with someone's gerbil or rabbit between her jaws I would wonder why the owner of said gerbil / rabbit had been letting it run free/ not secured for her to catch in the first place....

As it so happens my cat is an indoor cat so she wont be attacking anyone's pet or shitting in anyone's garden but I think you are being totally OTT about it all.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guess some people would rather have streets with rats and mice spreading disease than cats dealing with them.

Domestic cats arent a natural predator of wood mice in the UK, I dont think they were here in plague proportions before people and cats arrived here? (though I may be wrong obviously since I wasnt there..) as for common mice and rats, they are both introduced, like cats, I dont have a problem with one introduced species controlling another.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B3aten wrote: »
    A cat bell can help stop cats hunting. It might not stop them hunting completely, but will make their presence known

Edit - And what about dogs that chase and kill cats?

Indeed ~ and as for cats killing birds and small mammals, well you'd think dogs in their wild state were vegetarian herd animals who fed on grass :eek:

I accept that some people don't like them. What I was after is why some people hate them with such ferocity that they want to kill them.

As far as cat shit in their garden goes, well I've trod in dog shit in the street. I don't suddenly want to exterminate dogs because of that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Indeed ~ and as for cats killing birds and small mammals, well you'd think dogs in their wild state were vegetarian herd animals who fed on grass :eek:

It doesnt take away the fact that cats are an active predator though, obviously dogs will kill other animals also (including cats) but domestic cats cause a great deal of damage as a species (though im sure theres an equal amount of house cats that wouldnt hurt any other animal) The introduction of cats to tropical islands has caused some bird species to become extinct.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Cat haters can be afraid of my cat if they like, he's now 3.5 kgs at 18 weeks old, and not an ounce of fat. A visitor commented recently, in the voice of Roy Scheider, 'you're gonna need a bigger catflap!' He's very friendly though, the cuddliest cat I've ever had. He's only vicious to catnip mice.
  • Options
    ShiftyDundeeShiftyDundee Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    It's because other pets are usually kept under control by their owners.

I've never had a dog, a goldfish, a hamster or a budgie wander uninvited into my home when I've left the door open during the summer and take up residence under my bed.

Also, every kid knows a freaky old lady who stinks of p!ss and owns at least 7 cats.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Also, every kid knows a freaky old lady who stinks of p!ss and owns at least 7 cats
    She's a witch! Burn her!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's because other pets are usually kept under control by their owners.

I've never had a dog, a goldfish, a hamster or a budgie wander uninvited into my home when I've left the door open during the summer and take up residence under my bed.

Also, every kid knows a freaky old lady who stinks of p!ss and owns at least 7 cats.

Think yourself lucky its just a cat that wondered in and not the local burglar :eek: ;)

I knew someone would have to bring up the "mad women with cats" stereotype - where I love all the old bats seem to have decrepit old mutts :eek: