There's never been a better contestant than Leona on ANY of these shows, worldwide

12345679»

Comments

• P BarnardP Barnard Posts: 2,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spirit - 7.2million worldwide
    Echo - 2.6million worldwide
    Total - 9.8million worldwide

Just 2 of these contestants (Kelly and Carrie) mentioned have sold more ON THEIR OWN in the US alone than Leona has worldwide, so you can't say she has outsold "each of these contestants mentioned combined"

Anyway, its obvious the OP won't listen to anyone elses comments so Im off to do something more worthwhile this afternoon...

You forget Avril Lavigne who has sold more than 30 million albums, over 18 million on her first album alone!

Vocally Leona is miles better than any of the other X-Factor winners and blows Alexandre out of the water, but she's never been half as credible as Avril (although her later stuff was pants).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if this is based on sales or personal preference. So this is JMO.

I like Leona a lot but I think there are better winners. Someone mentioned her cover of 'Run', I think it's actually better than the original.

When I listen to 'A Moment Like This'.. Kelly's winning song, which was also given to Leona. There's no comparison.. Kelly owns it. Leona's version hurts my ears.

USA - Kelly Clarkson wipes the floor with Leona. She has a clarity to her voice that I really like and I don't think Leona has. I've also never seen Kelly Clarkson mime or lip sync. That girl just seems to get out on stage and get the job done.. and done well.

UK - Alexandra Burke has a little something extra than Leona. Vocally she's fab and she has the ability to put on a good show, something I've never seen Leona do. I've also never seen Alex mime or lip sync. I guess that's a pretty important thing for me.

Having said that, I've been listening to 'Spirit' and 'Echo' quite a lot recently and I do love both albums. So.. I don't really wish to sound negative about Leona because she is an amazing talent.

Out of interest, show me a performance where Leona lip syncs. I'm not denying it exists, I just don't know about it. Personally, I think comparing Alex and Leona is futile. Maybe in terms of the whole package, but what Leona is meant to be is an incredible vocalist, and she wipes the floor with Alex in that regard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Why do you keep bringing up Avril Lavigne? She didn't come from a talent show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p2bab wrote: »
    Why do you keep bringing up Avril Lavigne? She didn't come from a talent show.

Avril won a radio contest to perform live with Shania Twain at an arena in Canada.

Other artists many don't realise entered talent shows are Joss Stone (winner), Anastacia (runner-up) and Elvis (runner-up).
    P Barnard wrote: »
    Vocally Leona is miles better than any of the other X-Factor winners and blows Alexandre out of the water

No she doesn't. Those extra few notes mean little and even less when nails down a blackboard compared to melted chocolate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    If that's the case then Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera are way more successful than Leona and Avril. Both performed in Star Search when they were kids.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    yh there has ... JEDWARD
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhydian blew Leona out of the water tbh.
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona.. Zzzz BORING:yawn:
  • stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    -Malibu- wrote: »
    I've read through Carrie's profile before, she is not more successful than Leona.

Carrie Underwood is way more successful than Leona. She has won dozens of high profile awards including 5 Grammy's for a start, and has far bigger sales in the US than Leona has worldwide.

She is a huge star in the US, and the only idol/x-factor winner that has managed to maintain and even increase her star power over the years since she won.
  • unklesamunklesam Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stargirl1 wrote: »
    Carrie Underwood is way more successful than Leona. She has won dozens of high profile awards including 5 Grammy's for a start, and has far bigger sales in the US than Leona has worldwide.

She is a huge star in the US, and the only idol/x-factor winner that has managed to maintain and even increase her star power over the years since she won.

I agree. Carrie Underwood has won the CMA female vocalist of the year 3 times, that is quite some achievement when up against legends like Martina McBride, Reba McEntire and the likes.
  • midlandsfirstmidlandsfirst Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avril won a radio contest to perform live with Shania Twain at an arena in Canada.

But the OP is referring to TV talent shows like Idol/X Factor etc - the radio contest was not what got her a record contract. She got her management deal from singing country covers at a bookshop. Totally different in my opinion (for all that matters)
  • Spanner82Spanner82 Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but IMO Dia Frampton from The Voice is the best ever
  • ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,905
    Forum Member
    Leona is terrible an OK singer who let the fame go to her head. Give me Alexandra any day :D
  • AMS13AMS13 Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Young came out of Pop Idol and under the management of Simon Fueller.
    Kelly Clarkson came out of American Idol and under the management of Simon Fueller.
    Simon Cowell wished he was Simon Fueller, but was just a judge and so set up X Factor. Alas, he did not have Fueller's intelligence and knowledge. Only watched X Factor last year owing to Matt Cardle and Dannii Minogue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    I'd agree with the OP in terms of raw talent. However, even as someone who's not a huge fan of her genre of music, I can tell that the material she's been given and/or written has been atrocious.

Kelly Clarkson has almost as good a voice, a fun personality, and has had some decent songs. Leona may edge it in terms of raw vocal talent, but Kelly Clarkson is up there with her.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    you all seem to forget she was classically trained, so its not fair to say shes the best ever, well i'd be the best if i was trained like pavarotti!! honestly!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AMS13 wrote: »
    Will Young came out of Pop Idol and under the management of Simon Fueller.
    Kelly Clarkson came out of American Idol and under the management of Simon Fueller.
    Simon Cowell wished he was Simon Fueller, but was just a judge and so set up X Factor. Alas, he did not have Fueller's intelligence and knowledge. Only watched X Factor last year owing to Matt Cardle and Dannii Minogue.

Good points.

I have said a few times about Simon Fueller's sucess and Cowell's lack of it with his act's.

I suspect Leona would have fared far better under SF management.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,129
    Forum Member
    Leona is terrible an OK singer who let the fame go to her head. Give me Alexandra any day :D

Hah! :p
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    cowell also , lord knows why didnt do what columbia are doing with adele now, on tour. leona should have toured the US from may 2008 till july in theatres weekly. keep her relevant, it helped adele and 21 go mega platinum.