Options

Rihanna's new single 'Diamonds' to be released next week?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope this is a sign for the type of music the album contains.
    A move away from the generic dance stuff.
  • Options
    Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonesy88 wrote: »
    I hope this is a sign for the type of music the album contains.
    A move away from the generic dance stuff.

Would be nice :) I love Rihanna :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    It was me and I agree :D - if you are going to be influenced by another artist make sure they are great at what they do. I really like the song and what Rihanna has done with it. The similarity/vibe has been picked up in the press as well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopmusic/9568141/Rihannas-new-song-is-Diamonds-another-no1.html

Great tastes my friend ;)

Wow, even at the people at the Telegraph can hear it. Crazy! :D

It just really surprised me, given the people involved, I would never in a billion years expect Stargate, Benny Blanco or Sia to move into the Lana Del Rey territory. I blatantly expected a generic club banger, I'm mega happy I was proven wrong!

I have a feeling there'll be some club bangers present on the new album, definitely, but if we have songs in the vein of Diamonds present too as well as some dancehall/Carribbean stuff again then I'll be one happy man :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MCA1992 wrote: »
    Great tastes my friend ;)

Wow, even at the people at the Telegraph can hear it. Crazy! :D

It just really surprised me, given the people involved, I would never in a billion years expect Stargate, Benny Blanco or Sia to move into the Lana Del Rey territory. I blatantly expected a generic club banger, I'm mega happy I was proven wrong!

I have a feeling there'll be some club bangers present on the new album, definitely, but if we have songs in the vein of Diamonds present too as well as some dancehall/Carribbean stuff again then I'll be one happy man :D

There is further something funny, most the time when on atrl a new Lana thread started, you can bet on, that immediately RedOne (you can see the members who are currently observing a thread) is on for about 15 minutes, although he never comments but that says a lot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Although Taylor Swift will block both Rihanna and Ke$ha from the Billboard #1 debut with her new single (I think it's called 'Begin Again'), both 'Die Young' and 'Diamonds' are set to debut in the top 10 with more than 200k downloads each, according to Billboard's estimates. 'DY' is doing better than 'Diamonds' on iTunes, but Rihanna is completely slaying Ke$ha, getting four times as many audience impressions as 'DY' has got so far.

Where do you think 'Diamonds' will debut at the Hot 100. I'm thinking #9.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    Although Taylor Swift will block both Rihanna and Ke$ha from the Billboard #1 debut with her new single (I think it's called 'Begin Again'), both 'Die Young' and 'Diamonds' are set to debut in the top 10with more than 200k downloads each, according to Billboard. 'DY' is doing better than 'Diamonds' on iTunes, but Rihanna is completely slaying Ke$ha, getting four times as many audience impressions as 'DY' has got so far.

Where do you think 'Diamonds' will debut at the Hot 100. I'm thinking #9.

Diamonds started a day late so will have less sales so far but i would guess around #10. Im really impressed with both of them especially Ke$ha who is beating her on iTunes atm :eek: but unfortunately both are being beaten by PSY. Rihanna is also doing excellently worldwide.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lana is like the epitome of "cool and fresh" to her fellow stars at the moment...no surprise to see them being influenced by her :)
  • Options
    dreamfishdreamfish Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't quote me but I heard rumours she had worked with David Guetta again for this album, and also Deadmau5 so we can expect some form of 'dance' if its true.

I'm all for Rihanna trying out a more mature route such as 'Diamonds', but I hope if she does work with Guetta and Deadmau5, that's its something more forward thinking and not generic, sub-par crap! That said, I did love 'Who's That Chick'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finally got around to hearing Diamonds this morning on grimmys breakfast show and it has been in my head ever since....so will have another play in a bit.

I also get Lana vibes from it, that dark Urban/Mid-Tempo vibe i really like.

Now i think about it wouldnt it have been cool if Riri did have a Diamonds conceptualised album with We Found Love etc...with Diamonds being a pattern and allusion to drugs etc...the nitty gritty stuff :D.

Riri In The Sky Of Diamonds ;)

Maybe not...but anyway, while she isnt the main penner/producer....she does make em her own and she hasnt lost that spark which i was worried about! Must admit....but this continues her trend of strong lead singles, even more special that it isnt the usual Dance themed lead single like Loud and TTT boasted....like Russian Roulette was too...a nice surprise and i wonder what territories she will delve into with album 7...good stuff Rihanna
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dreamfish wrote: »
    Don't quote me but I heard rumours she had worked with David Guetta again for this album, and also Deadmau5 so we can expect some form of 'dance' if its true.

I'm all for Rihanna trying out a more mature route such as 'Diamonds', but I hope if she does work with Guetta and Deadmau5, that's its something more forward thinking and not generic, sub-par crap! That said, I did love 'Who's That Chick'.

Hmm i don't mind i suppose if she is doing just the one song with Guetta. What I like about RiRi, she doesn't rely on the same people to give her a hit. She is even distancing herself from Stargate with each album, who normally cook up a good ballad or slow tempo song for her.

I hope she doesn't work with Ester Dean anymore. Roc Me Out on TTT proved that while Ester dean can write a good hit, the songs productions always sound like Rude Boy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    3 $pirit wrote: »
    Diamonds started a day late so will have less sales so far but i would guess around #10. Im really impressed with both of them especially Ke$ha who is beating her on iTunes atm :eek: but unfortunately both are being beaten by PSY. Rihanna is also doing excellently worldwide.
    I don't think PSY is a threat. He's losing steam on iTunes and, although digtal sales will be impressive, his airplay won't have any longetivity imo. I don't see him blocking Rihanna or Ke$ha from a #1 in the coming weeks :)

This week I think it's going to be :
    1 - Taylor Swift ('Begin Again') or Maroon 5's 'One More Night'
    6 - PSY - Gangam Style
    9 - Rihanna - Diamonds
    10 - Ke$ha - Die Young (it would have been much higher if the airplay was better)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    I actually really love David guettas songs with Sia especially she wolf so I'm here for that. These big girls like Rihanna know how to turn something indie-ish like sia or Lana into commercial single success, maybe Lana's team could have done that for her! I was hoping the repack would be a little more commercial just so that she could compete with them all on an even footing! But she has album sales which is amazing, and she is true to her self. Watch Katy Perry, Britney, Demi Lovato, Kelly Clarkson and the like take a giant leaf out of Lana's and Sia's book. I can't wait to hear more from both!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more i replay the bigger it sounds, i really love RIhanna went with this angle...militant, mid-tempo and has that euphoric feel behind it! Really love that she has done this.

Played it 5 times now :D glad i head it this morning i truly hope its another chart topper for her and i reckon more will be taking leaf out of her book next year.

i mean look at all the Only girl templates 2011 had, then all the We Found love templates 2012 has had....Diamonds is another setter of a song i feel :cool: Also intrigued by the earlier release...does this mean a second single for the album release in Nov perhaps?? maybe ;)

Anyways i am definitely glad that she mixed it up....yes its not her writing or producing...but Sia did magic here and Benny Blanco did a superb job also....it just intrigues me as to where she is headed with album 7.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The more i replay the bigger it sounds, i really love RIhanna went with this angle...militant, mid-tempo and has that euphoric feel behind it! Really love that she has done this.

Played it 5 times now :D glad i head it this morning i truly hope its another chart topper for her and i reckon more will be taking leaf out of her book next year.

i mean look at all the Only girl templates 2011 had, then all the We Found love templates 2012 has had....Diamonds is another setter of a song i feel :cool: Also intrigued by the earlier release...does this mean a second single for the album release in Nov perhaps?? maybe ;)

Anyways i am definitely glad that she mixed it up....yes its not her writing or producing...but Sia did magic here and Benny Blanco did a superb job also....it just intrigues me as to where she is headed with album 7.
    I started loving the song after 5 listens and it's growing really fast I think. I'm a bit afraid that it could be one of those songs that wear out as fast as they catch on, but at the moment I just keep replaying multiple times a day :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started loving the song after 5 listens and it's growing really fast I think. I'm a bit afraid that it could be one of those songs that wear out as fast as they catch on, but at the moment I just keep replaying multiple times a day :)

yeah i love it more and more on repeat always hearing something new every listen ;) which is great too!

But im just so intrigued for the visuals here and where she is headed with album 7...all worries of her burning out are out of the window with Diamonds...it is a corker!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yeah i love it more and more on repeat always hearing something new every listen ;) which is great too!

But im just so intrigued for the visuals here and where she is headed with album 7...all worries of her burning out are out of the window with Diamonds...it is a corker!
    I think album #7 is going to be her most POP album to date! :D She'll definitely have some urban tracks as well, but it's definitely not going to be in the vein of 'TTT' (4 pop tracks, a couple of ballads and many r 'n'b songs).

Can't wait for the video though. It's going to show the vision behind this new era and I'm beyond curious :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think PSY is a threat. He's losing steam on iTunes and, although digtal sales will be impressive, his airplay won't have any longetivity imo. I don't see him blocking Rihanna or Ke$ha from a #1 in the coming weeks :)

This week I think it's going to be :
    1 - Taylor Swift ('Begin Again') or Maroon 5's 'One More Night'
    6 - PSY - Gangam Style
    9 - Rihanna - Diamonds
    10 - Ke$ha - Die Young (it would have been much higher if the airplay was better)

Billboard say that both Rihanna and Ke$ha should debut top 20 but most likely not in the top 10 whilst PSY should go #1 as he is actually doing really well on streaming and has gone #1 ahead of Taylor who will debut around number #10.
  • Options
    LemonPledgeLemonPledge Posts: 6,277
    Forum Member
    One of the best songs she's done imo - hope the album will en like this :)
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After multiple listens, it only hit me now how you can actually really hear Sia's voice in the chorus after the middle 8 part. Hasn't noticed it before:o
  • Options
    dreamfishdreamfish Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newtonsaid wrote: »
    I actually really love David guettas songs with Sia especially she wolf so I'm here for that. These big girls like Rihanna know how to turn something indie-ish like sia or Lana into commercial single success, maybe Lana's team could have done that for her! I was hoping the repack would be a little more commercial just so that she could compete with them all on an even footing! But she has album sales which is amazing, and she is true to her self. Watch Katy Perry, Britney, Demi Lovato, Kelly Clarkson and the like take a giant leaf out of Lana's and Sia's book. I can't wait to hear more from both!

Funny you mention this...it's reported that Kelly Clarkson wants to work with Sia!
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having read through the comments, many of which say it's a grower, I thought I wasn't going to like it that much at first but I really, really did.

The only two criticisms I have is I kept expecting and hoping that it was going to kick into some big catchy chorus and it didn't really; and that I also don't like the "shining bright like a diamond" being repeated on top of the chorus all the way through either.

Other than that though very good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It debuted at #17 in Ireland :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    I really can't warm to this song... I don't think it's bad it's just Rihanna's voice sounds so odd.

It's as though she has listened to Sia's demo and tried to mimic exactly how Sia sung it ending up with a strange Rihanna/Sia hybrid voice which sounds forced, unnatural and ultimately quite irritating.

I think it's well produced though and I don't have much of a problem with the tempo,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love this song now, as I said a real grower.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Yay, it's on iTunes!