Options

Could Take That beat Oasis' record?

Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Oasis currrently hold the record for the fastest selling album in UK chart history.

Here's the list.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest-selling_albums_in_the_United_Kingdom

Be Here Now's total is only three days worth of sales because it was released on a Thursday. It did almost 700,000 in 3 days, and well over a million in a week.

Take That have just sold more than 235,000 in there first day. Be Here Now did 324,000 in it's first day.

Because Take That's album has a whole week to gather sales rather than 3 days, will they get the record on that technicality even though it won't have sold as fast?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could but I will admit I will be surprised if they do. But I am certain they will sell well over a million by the end of the year.
  • Options
    stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    You have to remember that album sales were significantly higher in 1997 than they are now. It's not impossible, but I imagine 600k would be more realistic.
  • Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They won't sell a ton in the first week.

Most of the people who bought in the first day were probably dying for the album - and core fanbase.

Take That have obviously gone the route of Westlife in recent albums with releasing them near Christmas as a lot of people will get their mothers a soppy awl take that album for christmas so that will help sales.
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when Be Here now came out on the same day as my GCSE's and i was more excited about the album. Massive let down though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Soundburst wrote: »

Most of the people who bought in the first day were probably dying for the album - and core fanbase.

Take That have obviously gone the route of Westlife in recent albums with releasing them near Christmas as a lot of people will get their mothers a soppy awl take that album for christmas so that will help sales.

Their last album sold 130k first day and went on to sell a million in 18 days. There's no reason to think that this will sell any less.

And they already have sold a ton in the first week. Highest album sales this year in 1 day.
  • Options
    TheSlayer10TheSlayer10 Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully not as "Be Here Now" is actually a good album
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stargirl1 wrote: »
    Their last album sold 130k first day and went on to sell a million in 18 days. There's no reason to think that this will sell any less.

And they already have sold a ton in the first week. Highest album sales this year in 1 day.

Yeah, that's the fanbase. I wouldn't class 250k as a ton.

I'd call Oasis 700,000 in 3 days a ton.

As I've said - near to Christmas - perfect present for 50+ mothers.

Smart move from the label.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    does it really matter? its only pop trivia, i think total sales over a long period of time means more.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You cannot compare album sales today to those of 1997. For Take That to sell 235k in one day in the current climate is an amazing feat. And I doubt that their core fanbase is 50+. That's Westlife territory.
  • Options
    Nicola37Nicola37 Posts: 2,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People may buy the Take That album for their mums but their mums will be getting a rude awakening, if they're expecting another Circus or Beautiful World. Not saying they've taken a massive leap away from their sound but it's certainly a new direction and it's anything but 'soppy':D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People see Take That, and associate them with all the other boy bands that mothers like. Hence it's mid-november release.

Last christmas it was Susan Boyles album, now it's Take That.

That's business.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit wrong to just single out mothers though, if they wanted to squarely target mothers it would be released in the run up to mothers day. Take That have a bigger fanbase than just simply 'mothers'.

In any case, EVERY big artist usually chooses to release albums in this final quarter of the year and specifically in the run up to christmas purely and simply because it's when album sales are at their strongest as a result of present buying and where returns for albums are HUGE. That is the business.

I'm not denying that mums will undoubtedly be receiving Take That albums but so will plenty of, daughters, sisters, cousins etc, and yes even male relatives.

The core part of Take That's fanbase is certainly not 50+ either but mainly the 20 and 30 somethings who grew up with them.

It's mid november release is to get big sales targeting everyone not just mothers, the same reason why pretty much most artists target the final quarter for releases.

Unlike most albums that receive big sales but are roundly panned, this album has actually garnered critical acclaim from critics that are notoriously hard to please, with many saying it is the first Take That album they've enjoyed, that alone has helped piqued curiousity in those who wouldn't normally seek out a TT album.

On topic, I don't think they will quite beat Oasis' record as I'm sure sales will slow down towards the end of the week after the initial rush, they might well come close though and certainly beat X and Y, the current 2nd fastest UK seller.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully not as "Be Here Now" is actually a good album

It's not a bad album, but calling it good is stretching it a bit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God i hope not. Oasis are awesome, Take That and all their fans need to jump off a large bridge.
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You cannot compare album sales today to those of 1997. For Take That to sell 235k in one day in the current climate is an amazing feat. And I doubt that their core fanbase is 50+. That's Westlife territory.

Yep, if Be Here Now was released in this day and age with today's market, it probably wouldn't of sold anywhere near what it did back in 1997.

Take That's sales this week are astonishing considering how low album sales have been this year.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    Yep, if Be Here Now was released in this day and age with today's market, it probably wouldn't of sold anywhere near what it did back in 1997.

Take That's sales this week are astonishing considering how low album sales have been this year.

I believe it is already in the top 25 best selling albums of the year after 1 day! Astonishing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder if Lourdes will be buying Madonna a copy?

after all, she's the 50+ peri/menopausal mother age group some on this forum appear convinced are Take Thats demographic.

I was too old for Take That first time around, but according to some of you, I'm too young this time! ;) (but whatever age, my family know my music tastes better than to surprise me with a Take That album on christmas day..oh she's a mum, she'll like Take That....)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I know HMV, yesterday, had £1 off Take That's album, so I assume that helped a little bit with first day sales.

Like someone mentioned, if Oasis released Be here Now today, then it wouldn't have sold that much. Music doesn't sell as much any more. Acts like Take That and Westlife have former giny tingling women lapping up their CDs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's with all these pretentious music fans moaning about Take That's fans? Will you people never be happy with any such popular acts selling a lot of records? Get off your high horses.

These days Take That are as popular for the music as anything else. Of course they have a large fanbase and that's helped the sales, but it's the same with any popular mainstream act. Why on earth do some people have a problem with this? It's just how it is. What are they meant to do about it? Many 'real' music fans love Take That's music anyway.

It's not as if they've churned out the same bland rubbish time and time again purely because they know it will sell to their fanbase - like Westlife have always done. Take That are as passionate about their music as anyone, and they've made a superb, bold album which has been well-received and is as deserving of success as most albums this year. Yes it was always going to sell well because they are popular, but like I said - what are they supposed to do about it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    What's with all these pretentious music fans moaning about Take That's fans? Will you people never be happy with any such popular acts selling a lot of records? Get off your high horses.

These days Take That are as popular for the music as anything else. Of course they have a large fanbase and that's helped the sales, but it's the same with any popular mainstream act. Why on earth do some people have a problem with this? It's just how it is. What are they meant to do about it? Many 'real' music fans love Take That's music anyway.

It's not as if they've churned out the same bland rubbish time and time again purely because they know it will sell to their fanbase - like Westlife have always done. Take That are as passionate about their music as anyone, and they've made a superb, bold album which has been well-received and is as deserving of success as most albums this year. Yes it was always going to sell well because they are popular, but like I said - what are they supposed to do about it?

Applauds :D

Like you say, it's been VERY well received, it's extremely unusual for high selling albums to marry that with critical acclaim. But Take That have managed it. I swear all these people going on about typical mums fodder, 'bland', 'soppy', couldn't possibly have heard the actual album. It's anything but bland. They seem to be lumping them in with the Westlifes of the world, who whilst undoubtedly being massive sellers have never received the critical acclaim.

It's a fantastic album that deserves all it's success and plaudits:)
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    You cannot compare album sales today to those of 1997. For Take That to sell 235k in one day in the current climate is an amazing feat.

Thanks for pointing that out Stargirl. I'd say 1 million sales today are the equivalent of 3 - 4 million sales (if not more) ten years or so ago. Album sales have changed drastically ... people don't seem to understand that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicola37 wrote: »
    Applauds :D

Like you say, it's been VERY well received, it's extremely unusual for high selling albums to marry that with critical acclaim. But Take That have managed it. I swear all these people going on about typical mums fodder, 'bland', 'soppy', couldn't possibly have heard the actual album. It's anything but bland. They seem to be lumping them in with the Westlifes of the world, who whilst undoubtedly being massive sellers have never received the critical acclaim.

It's a fantastic album that deserves all it's success and plaudits:)

Thanks :) glad you agree, because it's something I feel strongly about.

Westlife have always released the same boring old fodder over and over again because they know it will sell regardless. Take That also know their albums will sell well, but that's why they always strive to give something back to their fans (and music fans in general) with their music.

I must admit I've still not actually heard Progress in full :o but I have heard the previews and a few of the album tracks in full, and judging by the reception and knowing how passionate Take That are about their music, I'm certain it will be great. I'm still eagerly waiting for it to arrive in the post!
  • Options
    mistrimistri Posts: 3,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really confused as to why people think it's 50-year-olds buying the album. They might well be but the core fanbase is a lot younger. I was a teenager when they were big and 31 now. It's people my age who are all over them.

Anyway the album's pretty good but I think it might be a bit too different for some people who are used to the ballads.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to remember that album sales were significantly higher in 1997 than they are now. It's not impossible, but I imagine 600k would be more realistic.

Its also worth remembering that albums cost at least a fiver more back in 1997 than they do now.
  • Options
    gladiator18gladiator18 Posts: 3,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope not. Oasis are actually talented, whereas Take that, Gary Barlow apart, are overhyped rubbish for little girls.