Options

what were your opinions on last years female candidates?

Comments

• Options
    hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Just looking up this old thread, I hate to unearth the Jade debate, but regardless of how well she performed AFTER Week 7, she undoubtedly deserved to go Week 7, after one of the worst Project Managerships ever on the show. I just don't get how people can argue with that.
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Just looking up this old thread, I hate to unearth the Jade debate, but regardless of how well she performed AFTER Week 7, she undoubtedly deserved to go Week 7, after one of the worst Project Managerships ever on the show. I just don't get how people can argue with that.

She'd certainly deserve to go if this was Task 1, but it was Task 7 and in previous weeks she had performed very well. Also, her PMship wasn't any worse than Adam's the previous week, and he had been saved, and she had a better track record than him, and defended herself more eloquently in the boardroom. Also, Azhar had had a lot of criticism throughout the process, whereas Jade had only been criticised for that task.

I got your email, by the way. I'll reply soon, but I need to clear some space in my inbox first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TBH, I think Azhar and Jade both deserved to go. She didn't get the task, had no strategy and was unmotivational.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TBH, I think Azhar and Jade both deserved to go. She didn't get the task, had no strategy and was unmotivational.

For that task, certainly. But I think by that stage in the series, a one-off bad performance shouldn't count for much if the person's general record throughout the series has been very strong - as Jade's was. Unless of course, they are in a boardroom with two people who clearly don't deserve to go, which wasn't the case on this occasion.

Also, I did think that it took guts for Jade to admit in the boardroom that bringing back Tom was the wrong decision. A lot of people who make decisions like that try to make up reasons why the person deserves to be in the boardroom, but Jade was just like, 'You know what? He doesn't deserve to be here, I just didn't know who to choose. It was the wrong decision, I'm sorry.' I admire that sort of honesty. I think that Laura should have been brought back, but it's hard because she didn't appear to do anything wrong in the task at all. She only deserved to be in the boardroom by default because Tom and Adam performed exceptionally well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    a one-off bad performance shouldn't count for much if the person's general record throughout the series has been very strong - as Jade's was. .

I don't think her record was 'very strong'. Why do you think that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think her record was 'very strong'. Why do you think that?

In Week 1, she drew the images on the girls' really nice product. In Week 2 she really got stuck into doing the market research. I can't really remember what made her stand out in Weeks 3 - 6, but I do remember thinking that she was one to watch. She was one of those people who didn't appear that much in the edit, but whenever they did appear, they appeared to be working very hard as opposed to sitting on the fence. I tend to look out for those people, they often go far - as Jade ultimately did.

Also, she had never been in the final boardroom. In fairness, Adam hadn't either before his first PMship and he hadn't done anything exceptional, but Adam was on more winning teams than Jade. I often think that being on the losing team and not being brought into the boardroom says more about you than being on the winning team. Being on the winning team could mean that you were just lucky. If you're on the losing team, but not in the firing line, you must at least have done enough work yourself to impress that week's Project Manager. Tom Pellereau, for example, was a pretty good candidate - he was on the losing team a lot, but actually wasn't in the boardroom that much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think what you've said really proved her worth. I just think she did deserve to get fired Week 7.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think what you've said really proved her worth. I just think she did deserve to get fired Week 7.

Fair enough. But I do remember thinking in Week 7 that I hoped that she didn't get fired, because due to her track record I knew it was probably just a blip - and I was right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just a thought, would you say the same thing about Haya? I thought that her PMship on the over-50s tasks was pretty bad, but she had been really good in previous tasks, and Lewis had had it coming for the last three tasks. I think keeping Haya was absolutely the right move in that one, but I think it's similar to the Jade scenario.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just a thought, would you say the same thing about Haya? I thought that her PMship on the over-50s tasks was pretty bad, but she had been really good in previous tasks, and Lewis had had it coming for the last three tasks. I think keeping Haya was absolutely the right move in that one, but I think it's similar to the Jade scenario.

I don't think I really know YA well enough to comment on that. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think I really know YA well enough to comment on that. :)

Have you not seen that series? It's Series 2, and it's all on YouTube if you're interested.

Haya was an interesting candidate, because she was a very good team member, but in my opinion a pretty bad Project Manager. The second time she was PM her team won, but I didn't feel that that was really down to her. However, when she wasn't PM she was one of the strongest candidates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I watched Series 2 of YA last summer, and I remember it exceeding my expectations after being disappointed by Series 3, but I have to say I've forgotten a lot of it now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I watched Series 2 of YA last summer, and I remember it exceeding my expectations after being disappointed by Series 3, but I have to say I've forgotten a lot of it now.

Re-watch it then ;-) I always re-watch them when I'm starting to forget it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I might do :) I'm in the middle of Series 5 at the moment. I think my Apprentice craze is going to wear off soon. I think it'll come back after the summer.

October 1st is the day Series 10 will start, mark my words ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I might do :) I'm in the middle of Series 5 at the moment. I think my Apprentice craze is going to wear off soon. I think it'll come back after the summer.

October 1st is the day Series 10 will start, mark my words ;)

Every Wednesday, I use random.org to pick a random Apprentice episode to watch. I pick a number from 1 to 12 to choose a series, and then another 1 to 12 (or 6/8, if it's Young Apprentice that has been chosen) to pick an episode. Good way of refreshing myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Every Wednesday, I use random.org to pick a random Apprentice episode to watch. I pick a number from 1 to 12 to choose a series, and then another 1 to 12 (or 6/8, if it's Young Apprentice that has been chosen) to pick an episode. Good way of refreshing myself.

Don't you prefer to watch a whole series in one go? I do ;)

I think watching an episode each Wednesday would be good, I often get carried away, and end up watching an episode a day (at least :blush:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One thing about Jade I always noticed but forgot to post about is that after Ricky came back to the house after Week 10, Jade asks, 'are you alone.' When Ricky confirms this, Jade yells, 'YES!' in delight. Maybe she had more of a nasty streak than the edit let on?...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't you prefer to watch a whole series in one go? I do ;)

I think watching an episode each Wednesday would be good, I often get carried away, and end up watching an episode a day (at least :blush:)

Of course I do, but I'm a student, and I don't have time to do it that much.
    One thing about Jade I always noticed but forgot to post about is that after Ricky came back to the house after Week 10, Jade asks, 'are you alone.' When Ricky confirms this, Jade yells, 'YES!' in delight. Maybe she had more of a nasty streak than the edit let on?...

Not necessarily. She might not have got on with Gabrielle or Stephen (or both). It doesn't make her nasty, it's natural to be relieved if someone you don't like goes.

Probably Stephen, as I can't imagine anyone not getting on with Gabrielle. Although I suppose she could have seen Gabrielle as a threat.
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member

Personally, I think that her getting to the final proved that the series was dominated by the men. In other series she wouldn't have come close to the final (she reminds me a bit of Zoe, plenty of talk and puns but not much else). Problem was they had run out of options by then (gabby is a sweet artistic girl, but does not have a business mind). The new series will probably be the same, having just come off a female final.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Personally, I think that her getting to the final proved that the series was dominated by the men. In other series she wouldn't have come close to the final (she reminds me a bit of Zoe, plenty of talk and puns but not much else). Problem was they had run out of options by then (gabby is a sweet artistic girl, but does not have a business mind). The new series will probably be the same, having just come off a female final.

But other than in Week 7, she was so strong on the tasks. I thought she had a good chance of winning - she probably would have done if she'd had a better business plan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never liked Jade, she had her moments but had a really obnoxious streak that quite often seeped through, usually through smirking and sneering a lot. I agree with another poster that the fact in Series 8 she was the most successful female shows how appalling the women were that season. Was definitely a male dominated series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I never liked Jade, she had her moments but had a really obnoxious streak that quite often seeped through, usually through smirking and sneering a lot. I agree with another poster that the fact in Series 8 she was the most successful female shows how appalling the women were that season. Was definitely a male dominated series.

I don't think that the women in this series were that bad. I felt that Gabrielle, Jenna, Katie and Bilyana all had strengths to them, as did Jade. I actually feel that the women of Series 9 were generally worse than Series 8.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think that the women in this series were that bad. I felt that Gabrielle, Jenna, Katie and Bilyana all had strengths to them, as did Jade. I actually feel that the women of Series 9 were generally worse than Series 8.

I think the Series 8 and 9 female candidates were both pretty bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the Series 8 and 9 female candidates were both pretty bad.

In Series 9 I'd say that there were three strong women (Leah, Luisa and Rebecca) and the rest were pretty weak. In Series 8 I'd say that there were different levels of strengths. Jade and Gabrielle were clearly very strong, but Jenna, Laura, Katie and Bilyana all had strengths to them.
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    In Series 9 I'd say that there were three strong women (Leah, Luisa and Rebecca) and the rest were pretty weak. In Series 8 I'd say that there were different levels of strengths. Jade and Gabrielle were clearly very strong, but Jenna, Laura, Katie and Bilyana all had strengths to them.

Think that Luisa and Leah were both stronger then all the women in series 8 (only a small compliment, but still). Perhaps an idea to make an allstar cast from all the series combined (as a thread or post) or just a few candidates per series based on any criteria.