Comments

• Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Here's the big production number! :D
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I should of seen that.....

You should have seen (the film) or (the reply coming)?

The best musical wedding I've seen was on Glee when Kurt and Finn's parents wed.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Spectacle returns to weddings!

And it only took the gays getting the chance to do it! :D
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should have seen (the film) or (the reply coming)?

The best musical wedding I've seen was on Glee when Kurt and Finn's parents wed.

The film.....
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would it really have killed Channel 4 to hold off with the 'coming next.....' voice over for 30 secs more?
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's right, keep on perpetuating tired stereotypes...
  • peter_charlie20peter_charlie20 Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Well, I may be in the minority here but I thought it was WONDERFUL. Very moving. Some of us have been around since before 1967 and this is something I never thought I'd live to see. So I really don't care if the cynics scoff.
    Shame Channel 4 had to interrupt the ending to advertise coming programmes.
  • SammmymackSammmymack Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume they are trying to get spotted for the West End - i cant believe so many of their friends and family can sing - i have a fair few friends none of whom can sing!:D

They don't need to be "spotted"- they both are well known and established professionals already ( Ben's a composer and Nathan's a performer/singer). Thoroughly enjoyed it. Some very poignant moments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think there should have been a documentary along the lines of the timeline thing they had. I know its been done but it'd have been moving and thoughtful and presented a serious side before the 'spectacle'. I think the message and meaning could very well be lost with just this. That said it was enjoyable for what it was and if thats what they wanted for their wedding then good on them!
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alex_r_pc wrote: »
    I personally think there should have been a documentary along the lines of the timeline thing they had. I know its been done but it'd have been moving and thoughtful and presented a serious side before the 'spectacle'. I think the message and meaning could very well be lost with just this. That said it was enjoyable for what it was and if thats what they wanted for their wedding then good on them!

Yes, a documentary about the timeline and the landmarks in gay history leading up to this historic time would have been much better.

As it is, this ego trip is just self indulgant and stereotypical showing off.
  • David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think what I found was that it was a very mixed momentum, one point it's singing about being in love, the next making people aware of how sad it is that people are being imprisoned for being gay.

And I found that very odd for a wedding day. As if it were me, I'd rather have friends and family there all celebrating my relationship not talking about the struggle it was to get there, they obviously have a reasoning to make people aware.

But I would much rather have seen an hour documentary showing maybe 4 or 5 couples, men and women on their journey on being the first people to be married & how it was for them, their thoughts and opinions than this OTT couple.

I would have sat through an hour of various couples talking about their relationships and seeing them just simply explain their desires to get married. As is I switched of after half an hour in.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it's not Las Mis, but fitting to have something different for an historic event.

(Just watch the straights nicking bit from this! :D )

I don't think so somehow. Only gays would find this redefinition of marriage acceptable. Cheap and trashy - and somewhere there will be others sitting plotting how to make their wedding even trashier.
  • katherine500000katherine500000 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing to do with the real meaning of marriage
  • Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I may be in the minority here but I thought it was WONDERFUL. Very moving. Some of us have been around since before 1967 and this is something I never thought I'd live to see. So I really don't care if the cynics scoff.

I thought it was wonderful too. Yes it was over the top, but they are both in the entertainment industry. Having worked on a couple of West End musicals myself, I used to sometimes wish that life was like a musical sometimes:blush:
    Jon Snow made me giggle every time he sang, I loved the mothers singing about how they had to change their way of thinking, I loved the vows and I loved that everyone seemed to be having such a fantastic time. I did find it a bit sad that they had to remind everyone how far they had come, but I understood why they did it. I just wanted to see the spectacle of the wedding. I hope they both have many happy years ahead of them.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You mean as a means for a woman's father to sell them legally to a would be rapist?.......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member

Totally agree with you. I laughed, smiled and cried and found it totally uplifting.:D
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Started to watch after watching Rev. which also featured a gay wedding. Had to turn off this musical, reminded me of 'I love Willies' from the I.T Crowd
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I just watched it. Completely ott. Stereotypical. Camp. Self indulgent. Kinda enjoyed it in a 'look through fingers' way. Favourite bit was the mothers singing part. Sort of got a throat lump. Wonder if that's how my amazing mum felt when I came out. Anyway. The best of luck to them both. Hope they're truly happy.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I should of seen that.....

And you forgot Abba (how could anyone forget Pierce Brosnan singing!!)and think there was a wedding scene in hairspray too

I switched on quarter way through and couldn't work out whether it was real or not. I am loving it and feel quite sad that so many gay people find it cringe worthy. I have loads of gay friends some very camp and some not, so know it isn't a stereotype. Anyway theatrical people are very camp anyway whether they are gay or straight so it had to have an element of campness
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    academia wrote: »
    I don't think so somehow. Only gays would find this redefinition of marriage acceptable. Cheap and trashy - and somewhere there will be others sitting plotting how to make their wedding even trashier.
    Are you seriously suggesting that heterosexuals can never be cheap and trashy? :)
    Forum Member
    duncann wrote: »
    When we got civil partnered (and so can't now get married!)
    You will be able to eventually - possibly by the end of this year.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Are you seriously suggesting that heterosexuals can never be cheap and trashy? :)

All I can say is that I have never seen anything as appalling as that anywhefe.
    Forum Member
    academia wrote: »
    All I can say is that I have never seen anything as appalling as that anywhefe.

I find that hard to believe!
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it.Thought it was bloody fantastic.
    Had me in tears from God Only Knows
    Well done to all involved
    Forum Member

A lot of it seemed to be about just that.