Only Connect (BBC2)

Comments

• LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Besides, you don't see anyone going on about Alexander Armstrong's mode of dress.

He should wear more dresses, tbh.

I spotted the connection with the Country/Capital question but would never have managed to pluck a four-letter example in the allotted time. I wonder if they would have been more lenient in that round -- if you answered something completely off the top of your head like "Paris if that had four letters and France if that did too". I can't see them being harsh if you mentioned there being four letters.
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No fan of VCs tits myself there was nothing to keep me watching and when it got to the second wall I'd had enough and reached for the remote control and something else.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    He should wear more dresses, tbh.

I spotted the connection with the Country/Capital question but would never have managed to pluck a four-letter example in the allotted time. I wonder if they would have been more lenient in that round -- if you answered something completely off the top of your head like "Paris if that had four letters and France if that did too". I can't see them being harsh if you mentioned there being four letters.

Not many 4 letter country/capital combos - Togo and Lome is another.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a good competition as it came down to the final round to get the winners.

Usually better to have a close contest rather than one team running away with it.
  • GRCGRC Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    JBO wrote: »
    How desperate is that Hamish to be the captain?

He's just frustrated that they get to 10secs, then 3, with no sign of the captain reaching for the buzzer.....
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I thought it was a good competition as it came down to the final round to get the winners.

Usually better to have a close contest rather than one team running away with it.

It looked pretty dodgy for the sexy Velma/Bakewell's team going into the wall round, but they levelled the field pretty smartly.
  • blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonK01 wrote: »
    As Victoria Coren-Mitchell herself definitely understands. From her Observer column a few weeks ago:

"Speaking as the proud host of Britain's most difficult quiz (Mondays on BBC Four etc etc), I watch our contestants – bespectacled, bejumpered, feverishly keen on Shostakovich symphonies or Sanskrit jokes – and I know that, confident in their priorities and passions, they look cool. They look cool, they look clever and I would trust them to run the world."

Which is why I was pleased for the Velma team. I'm not bothered about can't captain/won't captain, but I like 'other guy on the right'. He has an incredible range of knowledge and isn't a walking cliche (telling Sanskrit jokes and wearing a jumper, do me a favour). He's great! I hope he wins.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    2nd SF
    Victoria Coren Mitchell presents the quiz about connections. Three Europhiles take on a trio of computer experts in the second of the semi-finals
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EEk should've got the King connection
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well. That was tough :D
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Well. That was tough :D

I think I'd have only got about 6 points, and none of those were in the first two rounds. If I had the first wall a few points and several of the missing letters answers.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Got the Three Blind Mice.

Radio frequency was bizarre
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one got ICE CREAM :o

I did get the 9 days connection after seeing timeless test, however that had play on 9 days only and actually lasted 11 days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »

That one and the flags/unique final letter questions were just ridiculous.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »

Would have been nice to confuse them with using the frequencies of Radio 4 used in Scotland (and Wales?) - around 103 / 104 MHz
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Is that the first time a team has ended up with less points at the end than after the connecting wall round?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC FM radio frequency one was a high water mark in OC obfuscatory impenetrability.

That second wall was a reet bastard too.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    A masterpiece in obscurity. That second wall - f**k off! Did OK in the final round (Iain Banks reference - sigh. I'm guessing it was recorded around the 9th of June?)
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the quiz setters' current form, the scores in the final will be 0-0! :o
  • Bryant N MayBryant N May Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind the questions being difficult, although I thought this week's first two rounds were a bit too hard, but the flag one in my opinion falls under the category of 'near impossible'.
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must say I'm getting a bit fed of Only Connect now. It used to be entertaining, and challenging yet doable. Nowadays it seems to be clever for the sake of being clever, and it's just not as much fun.

I'll still watch it, it's still by far the best quiz show on TV, but just not as good as it has been.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A masterpiece in obscurity. That second wall - f**k off! Did OK in the final round (Iain Banks reference - sigh. I'm guessing it was recorded around the 9th of June?)
    I'd be surprised if it was that long ago. I was a fan, but amazed that first line would be that well known.
  • xendesktopxendesktop Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the main problem with the questions this series (the obscure ones) isn't the difficulty, it's the timeframe in which they are expecting the teams to solve them.

Give people 4mins and they'd probably solve something like the radio frequency one. Under pressure, with revealing clues one at a time, not a hope.
  • Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    No one got ICE CREAM :o

I did get the 9 days connection after seeing timeless test, however that had play on 9 days only and actually lasted 11 days.

And had to finish because the Boat for England was leaving. Rather bizzare as it was never going to be truely timeless.
  • katherine500000katherine500000 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was surprised they didnt get the 80s albums.Zenyatta Mondatta and No parlez are very famous even to a younger generation i would have thought