Vodafone and O2 4G experience thread

Comments

• clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Looks like some planning applications are going in by Cornerstone for Cornwall now.

At least one says it's replacing an Ericsson RBS3107 with a Huawei 3900AL - I'm guessing the latter can be configured to do 2/3/4G? The documentation has Vodafone branding all over it, does that mean this is Vodafone's cabinet?

All the ones that went in for Stoke were from some company called Mono and had vodafone logo on the side of them. I assumed this was cornerstone agreement, however now learning its not the case and vodafone are going on their own here - could be sign of something similar in your area?
  • M1kosM1kos Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mono consultants are working on behalf of Vodafone and O2 these sites will be both voda and O2. Voda are doing the west of the UK and O2 the east (mostly)
  • mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only just thought to look at vodafone's coverage checker. All the planned coverage for my area has 'mysteriously' reappeared, with some recent improved coverage near me. These updates are consistent in their inconsistency ;-)
  • ard100ard100 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    o2/voda 4g is live on a lot oF masts in Newport Wales now and on one mast in Cwmbran located in Croes-Y-Mwyalch Farm Malthouse Lane,Llantarnam that covers a wide area of Cwmbran,

Also I was out in a rural part of Wales in the Monmouthshire countryside yesterday and had vodafone 4g
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Speaking of O2. I believe there is an article going out tomorrow where it shows how O2 have switched over to "Digital Contracts" for consumers in store.

It saves 12 minutes in sign up time and allows consumers to sign up and agree to T&C digitally and then their contract gets uploaded to the cloud (rather than printed out) so they can always access it.
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Looks like Vodafone are adding more 4G to Alton, Hants, with new cabinets being installed and the lamppost mast opposite Sainsburys being replaced.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is my video testing all four networks and Vodafone and O2 each performed pretty well.

http://jmcomms.com/2015/03/04/4g-lte-network-testing-around-london-2015/
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Thanks Jon.
    A most excellent video.
    What anorak do you wear and where can I buy one? Haha
    I think what I got from that as on overall generalisation is that EE is mostly the fastest, VO2 are not far behind but most surprisingly for me, Three seemed to be really slow.
    Boy am I glad I live in an area where it's mostly cows and sheep using the bandwidth so I often see 90 meg in the middle of nowhere!!
    But thanks again for this most informative vid!
  • lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great vid, interesting to see the range of places.

For me EE 4G is at DCHSDPA speeds despite it being double speeded. Vodafone and o2 are roughly equal at around 25 - 30 but they cover a big area of Bolton from 20m mast. Three haven't 4ged yet but 3g hits 28 on a good day. It seems as though the other networks have mostly got their backhaul sorted to deliver good speeds, except o2 in central london and three anywhere with more than 3 people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Here is my video testing all four networks and Vodafone and O2 each performed pretty well.

Thanks Jon.

I'm surprised EE didn't return higher speeds at Wembley Stadium.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Thanks Jon.
    A most excellent video.
    What anorak do you wear and where can I buy one? Haha
    I think what I got from that as on overall generalisation is that EE is mostly the fastest, VO2 are not far behind but most surprisingly for me, Three seemed to be really slow.
    Boy am I glad I live in an area where it's mostly cows and sheep using the bandwidth so I often see 90 meg in the middle of nowhere!!
    But thanks again for this most informative vid!

Three was indeed very slow. And I noticed this a couple of weeks ago which prompted me to do some more testing. I'd love to know the reason why.

What was surprising is that even by EE's HQ, Wembley (sponsored by EE) and the City of London where EE has got (supposedly) the fastest possible speeds - it was not anything like the 70-90Mbps I can get at times near home.

Sure, a Cat 6 device might have worked better but any hopes of getting near 100Mbps on EE yesterday were quickly erased.

Mind you, the uplink speeds were still quite exceptional for EE.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jon.

I'm surprised EE didn't return higher speeds at Wembley Stadium.

Me too. Only last week they were demonstrating Cat 6 LTE and speeds of over 300Mbps!

Of course that would have been a staged test, using local equipment within the venue and perhaps if I'd gone inside the stadium I might have been a marked difference.

I did do a few other tests off camera, but never got anything wildly different (faster or slower) so it was a fair test. But, I'd set myself the rule at the outset that everyone got just one shot - or else I'd have been doing testing and filming all day, and having to publish ALL the results so as not to end up giving an unfair picture.

I think this is more real world as most people just expect things to work.
  • lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is more real world as most people just expect things to work.

Doesn't that raise the question of what speed people need for things to work. I'd say latency becomes more important then than the speed past about 15mbps.
  • andyukguyandyukguy Posts: 169
    Forum Member

Fantastic video thanks for this. I particularly enjoyed your efforts on Oxford Street!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't that raise the question of what speed people need for things to work. I'd say latency becomes more important then than the speed past about 15mbps.

Yes, and I should have added the ping times to my data.

The good thing is that data worked every time, which is an improvement over a year ago. O2 was very poor then, and I didn't test Vodafone so can't say if it would have been poorer too.
    andyukguy wrote: »
    Fantastic video thanks for this. I particularly enjoyed your efforts on Oxford Street!

hehe. Yeah, I thought I'd try and be clever and see if anyone noticed!
  • matty1000kkmatty1000kk Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    I just thought I would post my experience with o2 4G (Tesco).

I've only been in a few areas with 4G coverage as it is fairly limited when compared with EE's rollout in my area.

My first observation is how well 4G 800Mhz propagates. I believe Colchester only has 1 street side mast active at the moment but coverage is impressive considering this is the only mast. The same can be said about the mast which had recently been switched on In Clacton. Nearly complete town coverage from this single mast. Speeds seem fairly respectable as well. OK the peak speeds are no where near what EE is capable off however it seems to be minimum 15-20Mbps up to 40 ish which is more than enough.

It will be interesting to see how the coverage compares once they have upgraded all the sites in my area.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there is plenty of 4G on Vodafone in Hatfield... you should have waited for the handset to find some! the tests are incomparable otherwise! although Voda did do quite well just on 3G!
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    In Winchester 4G on O2 is fairly widespread now and covers the city fairly well. Typical speeds are around the 20Mbps mark; I think the highest I have got is 50.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,663
    Forum Member
    M1kos wrote: »
    there is plenty of 4G on Vodafone in Hatfield... you should have waited for the handset to find some! the tests are incomparable otherwise! although Voda did do quite well just on 3G!

When will Voda install any 3G in north east scotland? Inverness through to Aberdeen, outside the major towns there is no 3G at all. GPRS works but at 0.01mbps its almost pointless. EE and Three both have very good 3G/HSPA, and EE has 4G now in Inverness, Aberdeen and even in Aviemore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to Vodafones signal checker a odd place north of Inverness 'Invergordon' has 4G :confused:
    Forum Member
    M1kos wrote: »
    According to Vodafones signal checker a odd place north of Inverness 'Invergordon' has 4G :confused:

Has to be an error surely? Inverness is only 70,000 people, everywhere north of there is tiny.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tavistock in Devon (pop 11,000) appears to have VF 4G, but Exeter/Plymouth (100,000 and 200,000 ish) are not yet deemed worthy

IIRC there was some place in Devon that was a not-spot but one of the networks installed a mast and went straight to 4G while doing it. I can't remember if this was Vodafone and Tavistock though

(I wonder how long it will take to do Devon/Cornwall/Somerset - they seem to have otherwise blanketed Dorset in 4G - I know Cornerstone has been busy submitting planning permission applications to Cornwall Council)
  • de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    When will Voda install any 3G in north east scotland? Inverness through to Aberdeen, outside the major towns there is no 3G at all. GPRS works but at 0.01mbps its almost pointless. EE and Three both have very good 3G/HSPA, and EE has 4G now in Inverness, Aberdeen and even in Aviemore.

Tell me about it, they don't even cover most of the towns with 3G.

Voda cover

Aberdeen, Fraserburgh, Peterhead, Inverurie

That's it.

If you are on O2, you can add Ellon and Huntly to the list.

Pathetic.

There's a reason you can't zoom out on O2 or Voda's 3G coverage layer, and you can on EE's. And I've said it before, but Voda should not show 2G coverage in any form if the 3G layer is selected. It's intentionally misleading for those less in the know.
    Forum Member
    de525ma wrote: »
    Tell me about it, they don't even cover most of the towns with 3G.
    Pathetic.

There's a reason you can't zoom out on O2 or Voda's 3G coverage layer, and you can on EE's. And I've said it before, but Voda should not show 2G coverage in any form if the 3G layer is selected. It's intentionally misleading for those less in the know.

Yes the red layer on the Vodafone coverage map is just dishonesty. At least in NE scotland the Vodafone GPRS and voice signal is very good, and works everywhere, but GPRS is still horribly slow, for corporate emails :-/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GPRS is often unusable in many locations, until the site is upgraded. And once you have 3G and 4G you don't need GPRS!

(I doubt anyone with a 2G only phone really uses data much).
This discussion has been closed.