Vodafone and O2 4G experience thread

Comments

• Skippy2005Skippy2005 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Telefonica has finalised the sale of O2 to Three UK.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32043874
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skippy2005 wrote: »
    Telefonica has finalised the sale of O2 to Three UK.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32043874

Can I quote the Wavejock posts now saying that this would never happen.

Haha :D Go on allow me one of many I could have posted.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=56823928
    No comment ... as usual.... selective consumption of facts and predictable minimal response.

This thread is speculative nonsense. It's far more likely that Telefonica would take mega loss making 3 UK/Ireland off Hutchison Whampoa's hands than them selling a profitable asset to HWL.

No further response to this flamebait will be provided - thread now ignored.
  • mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Can I quote the Wavejock posts now saying that this would never happen.

Haha :D Go on allow me one of many I could have posted.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=56823928

Haha great stuff!
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hutchison said in a statement earlier that the key factor in buying O2 was to wind up Wavejock.

Mind you, I've lost the link to it. But I wouldn't make it up!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A great big belly laugh lol to the above comments :D:p:D:D:p:D:p:D:p:D
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will it get approved though? Certainly hope not as this is going to be really bad news for the consumer in the longer term. We are seeing the market get less and less competitive and you can rest assured we are going to be paying way more in the longer term and get less and less investment.

I has happened in so many markets and lets hope they throw it back, however knowing how anything decent for the consumer works you can bet it will be fast tracked though.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    clewsy wrote: »
    Will it get approved though? Certainly hope not as this is going to be really bad news for the consumer in the longer term. We are seeing the market get less and less competitive and you can rest assured we are going to be paying way more in the longer term and get less and less investment.

I has happened in so many markets and lets hope they throw it back, however knowing how anything decent for the consumer works you can bet it will be fast tracked though.

I do hope it does go through. Why?
    So I don't constantly get asked by my customers (who are on O2)....
    "Why is it when I go out and about, I can't do Facebook, Internet, Sat Nav etc..."
    This applies equally to VOD users too down here.

I'm in the middle of South Devon. Check out the VO2 3G coverage here on the maps and you'll see what I mean.
    Then compare to the EE 3G coverage (which is pretty much the same on Three).

I'm not making this up. I get asked this all the time. "Normal" people don't know what 2G/3G is.
    EE/Three customers just assume everyone has "the Internet" when they are out! :)
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something I have noticed repeatedly is that O2/VF customers seem to believe that shoddy internet or coverage is a fact of life, that "all networks are the same" and that there is no point changing.

I also believe that this is why Cameron decided that mobile coverage is suddenly a huge priority after he was in Cornwall and couldn't get a signal to contact anyone while something was happening abroad. Vodafone is a major supplier to government, and Polzeath (where he was reported to be at the time) conveniently is a Vodafone blackspot. If he was on another network he'd have had no problems at all.

Personally, I find it hilarious watching V-O2 customers struggle to get email on their crappy GPRS connections while I'm streaming Netflix in HD next to them on the train, on 3

The difference is like night and day. EE/3 in Cornwall is extremely good, most of the 3G blackspots are normally 2G blackspots too, and speeds/latency are fine. EE 4G is continuing to get better. Vodafone and O2 2G coverage is of course superb (for voice/text, not data as GPRS is useless), but the 3G coverage continues to severely lack, and many places that now have Vodafone 3G might as well not have it, because the performance is so crap. No 4G yet of course.

It will be very interesting to see what 3 or Hutchison do if they get the O2 sale through the authorities
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes assuming they just enable access then you win on those grounds, but once your paying £10 more for the same aging crap that is overloaded and no one bothers upgrading - then customers will realise th weakness of the market.

We are starting to see improvements all round on all networks - now you have to suspect it will all slow down. Yoo dont spend money to improve things for the customer, you spend to make nice profits and produce synergy savings ...just think of all those 2 masts into 1 with overloaded and expensive contracts.
  • lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Something I have noticed repeatedly is that O2/VF customers seem to believe that shoddy internet or coverage is a fact of life, that "all networks are the same" and that there is no point changing.

Agreed, my barber (been on O2 since before it was BTCellnet) used to say just that. Now though, after some encouragement from and the "what handset do you have" conversation with me, he's now on Three - and is as happy as a pig in muck :D heh.
    I also believe that this is why Cameron decided that mobile coverage is suddenly a huge priority after he was in Cornwall and couldn't get a signal to contact anyone while something was happening abroad. Vodafone is a major supplier to government, and Polzeath (where he was reported to be at the time) conveniently is a Vodafone blackspot. If he was on another network he'd have had no problems at all.

Yes, he had problems while visiting Norfolk too. There were some reports in the local papers at the time (which went national) about his complaining about having to wave his phone around outside to get a signal and make a call. I know the local MP has had similar issues on O2 before, plus complaining about his battery dropping like a stone when on (as it turned out) auto 2G/3G mode.
    Personally, I find it hilarious watching V-O2 customers struggle to get email on their crappy GPRS connections while I'm streaming Netflix in HD next to them on the train, on 3.

The difference is like night and day. EE/3 in Cornwall is extremely good, most of the 3G blackspots are normally 2G blackspots too, and speeds/latency are fine. EE 4G is continuing to get better. Vodafone and O2 2G coverage is of course superb (for voice/text, not data as GPRS is useless), but the 3G coverage continues to severely lack, and many places that now have Vodafone 3G might as well not have it, because the performance is so crap. No 4G yet of course.

Likewise, although it's long distance bus here as there's a distinct lack of rail lines in the county. West of Norwich in particular it's like night and day - VF/O2 with (weaker than you'd expect) GPRS, while EE and Three happily rattle along on 3G.

As you say though, O2 is fine here too for voice/texts (despite it's lack of HD Voice) as long as you don't go too far out into the sticks. Vodafone though, well, traditionally it's been fine here for 2G, but as time goes on something seems very wrong - I know a remarkable amount of people who, off their own backs, are leaving the network due to it 'not working anymore', so make of that what you will.
    It will be very interesting to see what 3 or Hutchison do if they get the O2 sale through the authorities

Agreed. One of the most irritating things about O2 here (at least for me) is that they have a mast very close to me, practically line of sight and about as close as my nearest MBNL mast, however it's only (surprise surprise) 2G, and has been that way for several years. Hopefully, if this all goes through, with Hutch/Three in charge it might actually get 3G'd (as it's well positioned), which would be nice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    lost boy wrote: »
    Agreed, my barber (been on O2 since before it was BTCellnet) used to say just that. Now though, after some encouragement from and the "what handset do you have" conversation with me, he's now on Three - and is as happy as a pig in muck :D heh.

Yes, he had problems while visiting Norfolk too. There were some reports in the local papers at the time (which went national) about his complaining about having to wave his phone around outside to get a signal and make a call. I know the local MP has had similar issues on O2 before, plus complaining about his battery dropping like a stone when on (as it turned out) auto 2G/3G mode.

Likewise, although it's long distance bus here as there's a distinct lack of rail lines in the county. West of Norwich in particular it's like night and day - VF/O2 with (weaker than you'd expect) GPRS, while EE and Three happily rattle along on 3G.

As you say though, O2 is fine here too for voice/texts (despite it's lack of HD Voice) as long as you don't go too far out into the sticks. Vodafone though, well, traditionally it's been fine here for 2G, but as time goes on something seems very wrong - I know a remarkable amount of people who, off their own backs, are leaving the network due to it 'not working anymore', so make of that what you will.

Agreed. One of the most irritating things about O2 here (at least for me) is that they have a mast very close to me, practically line of sight and about as close as my nearest MBNL mast, however it's only (surprise surprise) 2G, and has been that way for several years. Hopefully, if this all goes through, with Hutch/Three in charge it might actually get 3G'd (as it's well positioned), which would be nice.
    Nice to have a choice it's Vodafone or O2 2G or nothing the others are a complete no. You get strong areas but lots of Cotswolds are bad
  • lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Cabinet Office has made all the government departments break up all of the telecommunications contracts I believe. So a contract that would have gone to one provider for all things technology now has to have each single aspect put out to tender with subcontracts and a service integrator. A lot of government departments are having to move from Vodaphone with it, I know quite a few DfT ones are moving to o2 through a company called Unify (https://www.unify.com) which is actually Siemens. You get some really big names in these quite small contracts (by government standards).
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Come on O2/Vodafone, 4G my nearest mast God damn you!
    Forum Member
    I got an SMS the other day from Vodafone, it said you're not making the most out of your text message allowance and suggested what texts are for. What is this, the early 90s? :confused:
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Text back to say sod off. That'll use up one of your texts.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,650
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    I got an SMS the other day from Vodafone, it said you're not making the most out of your text message allowance and suggested what texts are for. What is this, the early 90s? :confused:

texts? I thought everyone was WhatsApp-ing or Facebook Messenger-ing these days?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    jchamier wrote: »
    texts? I thought everyone was WhatsApp-ing or Facebook Messenger-ing these days?
    Probably bit cheaper to send a couple of texts £1 for a few mb on O2 to use GPRS and slow.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,650
    Forum Member
    mrgs1 wrote: »
    Probably bit cheaper to send a couple of texts £1 for a few mb on O2 to use GPRS and slow.

You mean you don't get inclusive data? Bad price plan that!
  • mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Text back to say sod off. That'll use up one of your texts.

LOL... :D
    Forum Member
    O2 GPRS is so slow it just finished reporting on the moon landing...
  • unouno Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was told something interesting today about the Vodafone & O2 rollout they currently have two teams special teams of engineers one covering North of Nottingham and the other South their role is going round doing upgrades in key general Election battlegrounds.

This makes good sense as where the party leaders go will be the strong media circus that follows all wanting to upload photos and videos. Also on election night Sky news and BBC are planning on covering even more results declaration this year many of these will be done with new technology using 4G so on the election night the networks are predicting huge spikes in data as there will be all the media and people involved in the election using their phones and devices.
  • M1kosM1kos Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots going on around South East London, Sidcup now has a live Vodafone 4G mast in the towns centre.... i didnt see that one coming as the pp got turned down?! Also a Monopole in Blackfen with a good view is live now Barnehurst railway station monopole has been upgraded and further out Medway has had three new sites go live recently and one in Swanley and another down in Borough Green are being upgraded next week! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    uno wrote: »
    Was told something interesting today about the Vodafone & O2 rollout they currently have two teams special teams of engineers one covering North of Nottingham and the other South their role is going round doing upgrades in key general Election battlegrounds.

This makes good sense as where the party leaders go will be the strong media circus that follows all wanting to upload photos and videos. Also on election night Sky news and BBC are planning on covering even more results declaration this year many of these will be done with new technology using 4G so on the election night the networks are predicting huge spikes in data as there will be all the media and people involved in the election using their phones and devices.

That makes sense actually as in Stoke the focus has been Newcastle area which is meant to be a key battle ground, so woukd explain why that part of the area has been done first I guess.
  • ZebbZebb Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vodafone updated their 4G coverage map today and looks like they're charging ahead in N. Lincs. Wish 3 would at least attempt to do something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zebb wrote: »
    Vodafone updated their 4G coverage map today and looks like they're charging ahead in N. Lincs. Wish 3 would at least attempt to do something.

I think Vodafone are the dark horse to watch, they are pressing ahead in areas they see fit but O2 don't as yet. I'm sure I'm correct in saying this please correct me...
This discussion has been closed.