"Why Cheryl Cole represents the demise of true heroines"

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
Forum Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1264031/Why-Cheryl-Cole-represents-demise-true-heroines.html

I completley agree with the article. It's quite disgraceful that talentless nobody's such as Cheryl are touted by the media as being 'brave', 'resilient', 'strong-willed' etc... when really she is just a puppet who has a very good PR team as the puppet master.

Her so-called 'inspirational' qualities are completley contrived by her team. When you take away the hype and the glamour she's just a spoiled young woman who has built a career out of her milking her marital problems and miming. What is there to idolise about that?

Comments

• SickPuppy21SickPuppy21 Posts: 4,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't stand the Daily Mail, but Charlotte is absolutely correct on that article, by the way no fangirl of hers answered my question, whats Tweedy done thats so inspirational?
  • flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The papers always latch onto someone. We had Diana. When she died the papers latched on to Victoria Beckham. Victoria moved to the States and they latched on to Cheryl, and if rumours are to be believed, William and Kate are soon to announce their engagement for a possible November wedding, so the papers will then latch on to Kate. We will have a real Princess again so maybe the papers will stop trying to invent one in the form of Cheryl Cole. It's all so pathetic but it seems to be the way of things.
  • Lou17Lou17 Posts: 30,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, she only became our 'National Treasure' after Ashley did the dirty on her the first time. She got mass public support due to it and only then did she become a 'name'. Xfactor and the like only then followed the incident. Shes a very attractive girl don't get me wrong but other than that its all hype created from personal turmoil rather than talent. Im sure diehard GA fans will disagree of course, but the girls been blown way out of preportion. Sadly for her I think the public are wising up to all the PR spin, and people will slowly retract from her. Well I think you can kinda of see it now, people are getting abit tired of seeing her everywhere. To me personally she isnt talented so shes not exactly someone you can admire, and as far as being a strong rolemodel for kids well its herlife I guess but taking a continuous cheat like that back shes the furthest thing from an independent woman in my eyes. It isnt as though they have kids, but if they continue on the way they are doing sadly children will eventually come into this soapopera!
  • musicman099musicman099 Posts: 2,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She isn't hurting anyone. Just get on with your lives.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think stating the bleeding obvious might be an alarming new trend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish the inevitable demise of the print newspaper would hurry up and get here, so that we can walk the streets and enter shops that currently sell them without being bombarded with "news" about these "celebrities".
  • CHEE KYCHEE KY Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't stand the Daily Mail, but Charlotte is absolutely correct on that article, by the way no fangirl of hers answered my question, whats Tweedy done thats so inspirational?

Ever heard of the saying 'It's grim up north'? Well South Sheilds is gruesome, so much so the locals are hoping someone finds an unexploded German WW2 bomb while metal detecting, puts his little spade in thinking it's summat Vicking and blows the place up so they can copy Manchester and Birmingham and get their own Selfridges. Cheryl is from South Sheilds, a pop tart, WAG and gets to say what every girl and gay wants to say: "Why? Because I'm worth it." Doing adverts for L'Oreal when as a kid your mam could only wash your hair with Tesco Value washing up liquid is not only inspirational, it's epic.

;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you realise by printing articles like these...it just builds up the hype around her.

Some people find her interesting, the whole jumping up the social ladder coming from absolutely nothing. People like her, they like knowing what she's up to, what she's wearing etc.

The Daily Mail writes a load of s*** anyway. Remember the propaganda in WW1? The Daily Mail is so highbrow of course they don't like her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you realise by printing articles like these...it just builds up the hype around her.

Some people find her interesting, the whole jumping up the social ladder coming from absolutely nothing. People like her, they like knowing what she's up to, what she's wearing etc.

The Daily Mail writes a load of s*** anyway.

Slight Deja Vu of an Ashley Cole text message

So she came from nothing, she isnt the first famous person and won't be the last.

So why does it have to be her? - Is Sandra Bullock Americas sweetheart because of Jesse James' antics?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So she came from nothing, she isnt the first famous person and won't be the last.

So why does it have to be her? - Is Sandra Bullock Americas sweetheart because of Jesse James' antics?

She isn't the first person who has come from nothing, no. And yes, she won't be the last.

She doesn't see herself as 'The Nations Sweetheart', it wasn't a term she gave herself, it was made up in the media and now they use use it against her like it's something she's made up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    flakecake wrote: »
    William and Kate are soon to announce their engagement for a possible November wedding, so the papers will then latch on to Kate.

At least Kate has class, grace, and intelligence.

If the papers have to fawn over someone obsessively, I'd rather it be someone like Kate than someone like Cheryl.

The hype surrounding Cheryl Cole is completely mad. I can't understand how anyone has managed to elevate her to such untouchable heights or why anyone wanted to in the first place?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She isn't the first person who has come from nothing, no. And yes, she won't be the last.

She doesn't see herself as 'The Nations Sweetheart', it wasn't a term she gave herself, it was made up in the media and now they use use it against her like it's something she's made up.

Then whats her selling point?

TV Star, Singer, Band member, Model? - she's crap at all of'em she has her looks maybe so we'll count model out.

She's heading in Katie Prices direction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You can bet your bottom dollar she is. The US have always elevated famous women done wrong by their men to sweetheart and iconic status, in fact they invented it.

Jennifer Aniston personified it for most of the last decade.

Tina Turner gets slapped around by Ike Turner for a bit, she leaves him and gets a solo record deal, decides to do rock instead of disco/motown and low and behold she's the inspirational Tina with big hair, big attitude and showing she can totally rock.

So much they adore her in the US they made a movie about her which won at the Oscars.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    she has her looks

Even her looks aren't hers. Like the article says, fake hair, fake teeth, fake tan.

She is completely manufactured in every way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is caring and can relate to people very much. She is an inspiration that you can come from absolutely nothing and still achieve your dreams. She isn't the only one, granted.
    She isn't a bad role model - you very rarely see her doing things that are bad (drugs etc) and she just comes across as a nice person.

But there again, this is my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woven wrote: »
    Even her looks aren't hers. Like the article says, fake hair, fake teeth, fake tan.

She is completely manufactured in every way.

Really?
    Then why did she win all these awards for her looks when she was a child?
    Why, before she had the money to have these things people thought she was very pretty (her Popstars Audition)

She's just worked on features she already has.

If she came out wearing no make up etc she would be absolutely destroyed in the press.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is caring and can relate to people very much. She is an inspiration that you can come from absolutely nothing and still achieve your dreams. She isn't the only one, granted.
    She isn't a bad role model - you very rarely see her doing things that are bad (drugs etc) and she just comes across as a nice person.

But there again, this is my opinion.

And a very good opinion it is, too.

Just because she may not be regarded as a good singer to music snobs, little girls think she's fabulous. Maybe they have had a bad day at school and stick her album on to cheer themselves up. How amazing to be able to do that for someone you'll never meet, to alter their bad moods, make them dance around and sing out loud really enjoying themselves and to think to themselves that if Cheryl Cole can achieve something with her life, then we all can. Drive and determination rather than talent is all some need, Madonna has done just that and she's the Queen of the world now. Cheryl maybe our own little version of Madonna, but then we are a little country often with little ideas. Maybe we should all think big and stick Cheryl on the US A-List and show them yanks a thing or two? :)
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CHEE KY wrote: »
    Ever heard of the saying 'It's grim up north'? Well South Sheilds is gruesome, so much so the locals are hoping someone finds an unexploded German WW2 bomb while metal detecting, puts his little spade in thinking it's summat Vicking and blows the place up so they can copy Manchester and Birmingham and get their own Selfridges. Cheryl is from South Sheilds, a pop tart, WAG and gets to say what every girl and gay wants to say: "Why? Because I'm worth it." Doing adverts for L'Oreal when as a kid your mam could only wash your hair with Tesco Value washing up liquid is not only inspirational, it's epic.

;)

Er ... nice tongue in cheek post but she's actually from Newcastle-upon-tyne!:D Apparently bounced between Heaton and Walker in the east end. (Although some are convinced she comes from Longbenton!) Although there are some nice private parts of these areas it has to be said the council estates are (or used to be) quite grim, to put it mildly, especially Walker. It's fair to say they have their problems and she hasn't exaggerated about drug problems etc.

It's nice that she's made something of herself, and she's done very well and is to be congratulated for it, but she's hardly a heroine for doing so!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    Er ... nice tongue in cheek post but she's actually from Newcastle-upon-tyne!:D Apparently bounced between Heaton and Walker in the east end. (Although some are convinced she comes from Longbenton!) Although there are some nice private parts of these areas it has to be said the council estates are (or used to be) quite grim, to put it mildly, especially Walker. It's fair to say they have their problems and she hasn't exaggerated about drug problems etc.

It's nice that she's made something of herself, and she's done very well and is to be congratulated for it, but she's hardly a heroine for doing so!

Whats it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's nice that she's made something of herself, and she's done very well but she's hardly a heroine for doing so!

Hehe, well I think you can tell I'm not a fan or I'd know that, it's in the same area, so you get the jist. ;)

I know Longbenton though, the government have their huge DWP (DSS) supersite there, I understand it has it's own hairdressers and chip-shop. I had to deal with them often when I worked for the DWP. I'm no longer a civil servant, I'd probably get sacked if I still was as you're supposed to behave yourself in public and I never do. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats it?

:D Must not knock up posts in a hurry! 'It' is her success.

She's to be congratulated for doing well! Personally I don't like her music and don't get all the hype but good for her I don't resent her her success even if I am bamboozled by it.

What annoys a lot of people (well, me!) is that we're told she's the 'Nation's Sweetheart', how stupid! Where the hell did that come from and on what evidence? The fact she has a pretty face? It's things like that that lead to the resentment of her, she's forced down our throats and the implication is that we have to love her or there's something wrong with us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CHEE KY wrote: »
    Hehe, well I think you can tell I'm not a fan or I'd know that, it's in the same area, so you get the jist. ;)

I know Longbenton though, the government have their huge DWP (DSS) supersite there, I understand it has it's own hairdressers and chip-shop. I had to deal with them often when I worked for the DWP. I'm no longer a civil servant, I'd probably get sacked if I still was as you're supposed to behave yourself in public and I never do. ;)

:D I'm just waiting for the backlash with what you said about South Shields :eek::D Although some might agree!!! I have family that work at the DWS (or 'ministry' as it gets called) I'll have to ask about the hairdressers and chipshop, first I've heard about them :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D Must not knock up posts in a hurry! 'It' is her success.

She's to be congratulated for doing well! Personally I don't like her music and don't get all the hype but good for her I don't resent her her success even if I am bamboozled by it.

What annoys a lot of people (well, me!) is that we're told she's the 'Nation's Sweetheart', how stupid! Where the hell did that come from and on what evidence? The fact she has a pretty face? It's things like that that lead to the resentment of her, she's forced down our throats and the implication is that we have to love her or there's something wrong with us.

Whats the success is she good at it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people don't understand what the term 'Nation's Sweetheart' means.

Sweetheart can be defined as a very attractive or seductive looking woman and any well-liked individual.
    A nation is a body of people.

So the term Nation's Sweetheart means a body of people who likes an individual.

Which Cheryl is.
  • reishunreishun Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tbh I don't see her as disgraceful or a heroine she's just another media icon. I blame the people who respond to her crap and buy stuff about her, whilst I never buy anything with her in I am now expressing an opinion on her which means I'm a hypocrite.