Options

Do you get a "Christmas gift" from work ?

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
I work for a large factory in the North West and at Christmas, everyone gets a gift of a £10 gift voucher.
Does anyone else get such a gift ?
£10 - Oooohhh ! :D
Yes I know it's better than a kick up the backside, but still, it's not much is it ?

Comments

• Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, 30 minutes alone with 'customer' of your choosing.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bugger all.

But we do get a huge bonus in March
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We get an £85 bonus if we work Xmas day or NYD, woop :(
  • Options
    RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No but I gave all our managers bottles of spirits. I don't get jack from head office.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but we do close early on the last day.

Where I used to work, for an aluminium company, they gave everyone a really cheap quality frozen turkey for Christmas. We had to queue up and they were handed out by the managing director from the back of a van. I felt like some kind of Dickensian urchin, taking a handout from the lord of the manor or the mill owner or something. If you were a vegetarian you were allowed a really nice fruit basket instead, but when I asked about having the fruit basket I was told I'd have to prove I was a vegetarian.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    No, but we do close early on the last day.

Where I used to work, for an aluminium company, they gave everyone a really cheap quality frozen turkey for Christmas. We had to queue up and they were handed out by the managing director from the back of a van. I felt like some kind of Dickensian urchin, taking a handout from the lord of the manor or the mill owner or something. If you were a vegetarian you were allowed a really nice fruit basket instead, but when I asked about having the fruit basket I was told I'd have to prove I was a vegetarian.

God that's pretty shitty !
    I would have told them where to stick their turkey !

"PROVE you're a vegetarian" ?? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    again no :D but we do a brand tub thing in work, and have secret santa :D
  • Options
    Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We get to have the office heaters on, the tight bar-stewards.
  • Options
    That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    RubusRoo wrote: »
    No but I gave all our managers bottles of spirits. I don't get jack from head office.
    Did they get a choice or did it have to be Jack Daniels? :p

We have the xmas party but that's it really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    Yes : everybody gets to work boxing day! woohoo!
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, overtime and if you usually work after 4pm on a Friday, with the office closing early, you get the choice to make your time up or lose an hours pay. Welcome to "We're all in it together". :mad:
  • Options
    fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work at a school and the headteacher, and the 2 teachers I work for gave me presents. And I got lots or pressies from the kids, which I find really embarrassing. We also do a secret santa. I havent opened any of them yet, but most of them will be chocolates, bubble bath and candles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God that's pretty shitty !
    I would have told them where to stick their turkey !

"PROVE you're a vegetarian" ?? :D

I know! I mean, I'm not a vegetarian, I just had no use for a turkey. If they're prepared to give other people fruit, I just asked if I could have the fruit instead. I was told that unless I could prove I was a vegetarian, then no. I didn't tell them where to stick their turkey, but I didn't accept one, and when the boss asked why, I told him. Not that he seemed to care.
  • Options
    'Oaks Addict'Oaks Addict Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeh, we're just a small office, only three permanent plus the boss and his wife usually buys us a nice bit of jewellery and expensive chocs because we really do work very hard and go above and beyond quite often.

In turn, we get his three wee boys presents and usually him a bottle of wine.
  • Options
    Sun_BeamSun_Beam Posts: 11,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's only 5 of us in our shop, and we buy each other a small giving starting from £5, so I get 5 presents, but our boss gives us three each, so there's 8 from work, which is nice. We've had a bonus for the last few years, and been told we're getting it with our pay this week, so will get a specific amount now, and the rest in April, so we do alright. :)
  • Options
    mark_bmark_b Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually get a case of beer and we also go to the pub where the managers get most of the rounds in. Not too bad with the company not doing very well at the moment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know! I mean, I'm not a vegetarian, I just had no use for a turkey. If they're prepared to give other people fruit, I just asked if I could have the fruit instead. I was told that unless I could prove I was a vegetarian, then no. I didn't tell them where to stick their turkey, but I didn't accept one, and when the boss asked why, I told him. Not that he seemed to care.
    The question is.. how do you prove you're a vegetarian?
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This year for Christmas we got a letter saying cuts were going to be worse than first expected and so more redundancies than anticipated will be required in the new year. Bah humbug.
  • Options
    ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing - we do a secret santa amongst the team ,but that's it. We lost our Christmas bonus years ago, we get no overtime, we get no annual bonus, even though we are allegedly 'performance paid' and I haven't had a pay rise in three years.
    I work for an airline. I don't recommend it,
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    We get an additional day's annual leave - that's it!

My Dutch friend gets a gorgeous luxury hamper filled with goodies!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway, on Friday we got an email from the Principal to say that the college has a 2.1 million pound shortfall in enrolment funding, and that we're going to have to make "tough decisions" on staffing levels in the New Year, and by the way Happy Christmas! So that was nice.
  • Options
    ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, on Friday we got an email from the Principal to say that the college has a 2.1 million pound shortfall in enrolment funding, and that we're going to have to make "tough decisions" on staffing levels in the New Year, and by the way Happy Christmas! So that was nice.

I'm sorry to read that. With newslike that, you have to wonder why they didn't wait until after Christmas to send the email, what difference would it have made?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ff999 wrote: »
    I'm sorry to read that. With newslike that, you have to wonder why they didn't wait until after Christmas to send the email, what difference would it have made?

My mum says they need to give us 90 days' notice of potential redundancies, so I suppose it gives them an extra couple of weeks...
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah - a box of chocolates - whoop!
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    I got nout (but an xmas bonus) - but I gave the people working for me a big box of chocolates or wine each.